TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Did Voltage for front USB ports change w/ 50.6?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by djlott, Feb 11, 2019.

1. djlott

djlott Member

This is a long shot and could just be coincidence. I have a wireless QI charger that I got from Amazon that I plugged into the front USB ports. It's an off-brand Kumary Wireless charger that I purchased for its slim design, rather than the name brand. I used velcro to attach it to the flip up cubby so that I could just drop my phone in. Worked great for a year.

Coincidentally, right after I upgraded to 2018.50.6, the charger will no longer initialize. It just flashes like it's starting up but won't charge. I'd post a link to the device on Amazon but it's long gone.

Strangely, I can charge my phone from the front USB ports using the same cable direct to phone. And the wireless charger works just fine outside the car, i.e., in home plugged into wall outlet with USB ports. It only doesn't work from IN the car. Haven't tried the back USB ports but not going to go there anyway.

I'm hoping that after I receive one of the 2019 builds that this will somehow (mysteriously) start working again. I don't want to buy 20 different QI charges to test.

Is it just me and my crappy off brand (but slim) Kumary Wireless charger?

2. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Amperage has changed in the last via the software. I've documented in another thread.

3. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Member

U have 18.50.6?
    I need it and Tesla refuses to give it to East Coast.
    I haven't been able to charge at super charger since November.

4. djlott

djlott Member

Would you mind posting a link to that thread? I keep fairly active on the Model S forum but haven't seen your other post.

5. freeewilly

freeewilly Member

Does the Amperage change makes wireless charger not working?
    I use all kinds of power adapters (Apple, Samsung, Tesla usb plug), they all have different output to my wireless charging pad. Always works.

6. Kruegmeister

Kruegmeister Member

All USB is 5 Volts.
    There would never be a Software Update that would or could change it.

As far as the USB Amperage changing.
    Amperage is OnDemand. If a Wireless Charger had nothing sitting on it there would be say a 100 milliamp draw. Once you put your phone on it then it could output up to the Maximum designed in the Output Stage of that Circuit. There could be things implemented to limit the Draw in Software.

• Like x 1
  7. ckoval7

ckoval7 Mild One

My east coast car has 50.6, but it also went into the shop a week after the upgrade, so maybe it's Tesla's way of saying oops, we didn't mean to

8. Kruegmeister

Kruegmeister Member

Would like to see this Thread.
    If the Circuit outputs 2 Amp Max (don't know what the max is, just an example)
    If I plug in a 5 Watt Load my Amperage would be 1 Amp.
    If I plug in a 10 Watt Load my Amperage would be 2 Amps.
    If I plug in a 33 Watt Load my Amperage would be 2 Amps.

The only thing in software they could possibly change if implemented in the circuit is to Raise or Lower the Maximum allowed Current (2 Amps in example above)
    If your measuring Amps with an Amp Meter, you may just be looking at a Different Draw...
    A 1% Phone Charging will have a Different Draw than a 95% Phone Charging, thus you'd see different results on a Meter.
    Temperature will also effect this as it does on a Cold Car at a SuperCharger

9. supratachophobia

10. djlott

djlott Member

@supratachophobia Thanks for the link. Still reviewing.

Did some additional tests. When I plug the wireless charger into the rear passenger USB ports, using the same cable, the charger works perfectly. Only the front USB ports are not working correctly with my charger. To be thorough, I tried both front ports and unplugged the USB drive that I use for TeslaCam. No charge for my wireless QI charger for now. We'll see on the next update if something mysteriously changes.

11. supratachophobia

Interesting about your Qi charger. Please note my comments in the other thread, when I tried to power my 3 coil pad with the Schoshe, it did not work, but the PNY USB charger did (2.4amp). I'm currently on an Anker 5 port x 2.4amp adapter and the Qi works with that as well. Not sure if under voltage causes the same problem for both of us, but in my case, more power seemed to do the trick even though the Schoshe was supposedly rated for 2.1amps. And as if to confuse the issue even more, the Anker still makes the Raspberry Pi throw an under-voltage lightning bolt even though the recommended AC adapter is rated at 2.1amps and the Anker claims 2.4amps per port. You'd think it would be happy with the Anker, and it is as far as functionality goes, but still throws the error.

12. Naekuh

Naekuh Member

13. Kruegmeister

Kruegmeister Member

Your voltage error could possibly be a current inrush issue???
    The rating is typically Continuous Output. Just a thought

14. supratachophobia

Even odder, this is with no load :-0

15. Dazureus

Dazureus Member

I just updated to 2018.50.6 in my 2016 Model X last night and noticed that my Qi charging pad isn't working when plugged in the front ports as well. It had been working fine for months before and works fine when plugged into 2.1A wall chargers inside the house.Spec says it requires an input of 2A and Ampere is now measuring 1.1A max. Unfortunately I didn't measure the draw pre-software update since it wasn't an issue, but something has definitely changed if we're seeing multiple instances of wireless chargers not working. I guess the fix is to get a low profile plug in adapter as suggested above.