Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you have to convince your significant other?

My Significant Other was Against my Model 3 Purchase So I...

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was inline from the reveal day, so I wound up holding on to my previous car for a bit longer than I otherwise would have.
My wife had no issues with me getting the Tesla, she knew I really wanted it so she was supportive. She thought Tesla's were pretty cool, but she's never been a car person so didn't really care.

My issue now is once she drove the car, she is really into it. She basically takes it every day to work now. So who knows... tell your wife she really might like it.

I work from home so can't really argue with her taking it, but It's pretty annoying having to drive her SUV when I need to go out during the day. I'm still figuring out what to do about an electric SUV. I'm in the boat of waiting to see where Rivian winds up with the R1S. I want to see final specs and pricing before deciding between that and a model X. The design of the Rivian seems more practical, but not sure if the tradeoffs are going to be worth it. I'm also one of those still holding out hope that Tesla is planning an interior refresh of the model X to make it more like the model 3. (Regardless of whatever Elon may have tweeted about it)

I really think Tesla is going to need to do more updates to the S and X to keep those cars relevant. At some point (at least some) people won't care that those cars are best in class for efficiency in range if they haven't had any cosmetic updates in multiple years. It's just human nature to associate it as an old design which is less desirable. (sorry for drifting off topic slightly)

I was inline from the reveal day, so I wound up holding on to my previous car for a bit longer than I otherwise would have.
My wife had no issues with me getting the Tesla, she knew I really wanted it so she was supportive. She thought Tesla's were pretty cool, but she's never been a car person so didn't really care.

My issue now is once she drove the car, she is really into it. She basically takes it every day to work now. So who knows... tell your wife she really might like it.

I work from home so can't really argue with her taking it, but It's pretty annoying having to drive her SUV when I need to go out during the day. I'm still figuring out what to do about an electric SUV. I'm in the boat of waiting to see where Rivian winds up with the R1S. I want to see final specs and pricing before deciding between that and a model X. The design of the Rivian seems more practical, but not sure if the tradeoffs are going to be worth it. I'm also one of those still holding out hope that Tesla is planning an interior refresh of the model X to make it more like the model 3. (Regardless of whatever Elon may have tweeted about it)

I really think Tesla is going to need to do more updates to the S and X to keep those cars relevant. At some point (at least some) people won't care that those cars are best in class for efficiency in range if they haven't had any cosmetic updates in multiple years. It's just human nature to associate it as an old design which is less desirable. (sorry for drifting off topic slightly)

Model Y is two years away :)

I really think Tesla is going to need to do more updates to the S and X to keep those cars relevant. At some point (at least some) people won't care that those cars are best in class for efficiency in range if they haven't had any cosmetic updates in multiple years. It's just human nature to associate it as an old design which is less desirable.

I see this opinion a lot and it's very foreign to me. So I can only conclude there must be two types of people in this world. I view my cars as machines (and modern cars are a meld of technology and machine). As long as the technology and the machine are best in class, I couldn't give a rats ass how it looks or what others think. I just want it to work well with no compromises. I don't get the thing where things look old. We had our 2000 Volvo S80 T-6 for 19 years. Even at the end of its life it looked just as good as the day we bought it (which is to say stunning). Sure, if you got close you could see the inevitable rock chips but I'm talking style looks here.

Some cars look gag-worthy the first year they are released (Subaru, I'm looking at you here). Some cars have a timeless beauty. This is usually because they were designed for form to follow function (and they had a talented designer). I think the Model S and Model 3 fit this descriptiion. The Model X is not bad but it always looked a little too "whale" like for my taste. But it's huge inside and if I needed that much room I would buy one in a flash. Because it looks so much better than the boxy SUV's. Sure, I liked the older, boxy Land Rovers but I need a car for the highway. Once I think of driving a long distance on highways in that Land Rover, it starts to look positively stupid. If I'm going 40 mph everywhere, I'm fine. Because, to me, form really should follow function.

If the car truly looked good the day it was released, it should look good 20 years later!

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I had to convince my wife that we didn't need a Model S surprisingly. She saw both the Model 3 and the Model S in the local showroom and told me buy the S.

I couldn't get my head wrapped around the dated interior, slower charging speeds and the feeling the S had a replacement coming soon (hello 2021 Model S plaid). I told her I'd get the M3 and pass it down to my kids in a few years once I decide to upgrade to the new Model S (hello MSPlaid) :0

The more I talked about it the more I annoyed my wife, so don't go over board. I have toddler and she actually loves going in my car and says "weeee" all the time :)

The model 3 has more room in the back than my wife's crossover SUV (Ford escape), but a little less cargo room. Still plenty for a road trip with a stroller, luggage, pack n play, and full set of Christmas gifts though. We still have the wife's car if we need the extra room, but honestly driving the model 3 is so much more enjoyable and relaxing with AP.