Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you have to convince your significant other?

My Significant Other was Against my Model 3 Purchase So I...

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see how you can convince her when you don't address her wish: Size.
She wants an SUV and room for a baby car seat soon.
This was my first thought too but I'll guess that the stronger objection is money. Women turn into beasts of practicality from conception.

If that is the case it may make sense to save loan payments for a year or two. Doing so reduces the headline bill, and shows her that the payment is affordable. OP may also want to consider compromising on the performance model. Lastly, he can look into fuel savings for his situation that bring the EV down to ICE level costs. Electrek has a series of articles comparing the Model 3 lifetime costs to other ICE.

Learn the safety angle. That plays well with Moms (as well it should.)

Lastly, consider that she if likely 100% focused on new Motherhood and you are talking toys (in her view.) Tread lightly and be considerate now; it will pay off.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamessmooth007
I am in the same boat. I think I have the wife convinced, but it's definitely a hard sell going from no car payment to a car payment. We can easily afford it, and don't have any kids, but I was the last one to get a new car. Her biggest hesitancy was that she wanted a new car first. I told her I would buy her a Tesla, but she said no. Plus, it makes more sense for her to drive the ICE and me to drive the Tesla- she drives maybe 5 miles a day (she works in town), where I drive 33.

The way I convinced her, after a few drinks, was that this would be our last opportunity to be "selfish" with our money before we have kids. Plus, it's safer than my Jeep for when we do have kids, it'll make my commute less stressful, and we can use it on short day trips and still not have to worry about supercharging (which she does not like the idea of). Sure, we don't NEED a Tesla- my Jeep is only about 5 years old, and we have no car payments. But what's the point of having money, especially 2 incomes with a LOT of spare cash, if you don't use it to give your life enjoyment? And let me tell you, commuting in my Jeep JK every day is not my idea of enjoyment!

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
The OP can't get an X or a Y without more money or a time machine
giphy.gif

Mine took some convincing as she didn't believe my math figures at first. We didn't have a car payment but we're spending around $400 a month in fuel with the vehicles we had. We'll end up saving almost $300 a month which is a huge portion of the payment. Not to mention it's a massive releif to be able to go anywhere guilt free. If you forget something at the store (which will happen a lot when you have kids) you can just go back, it's not that big of a deal when you aren't out $10 bucks for gas, you're out 50 cents worth of power. With kids, you'll have tons of extra excursions and appointments and running around and expect your gas bill to double from where it's at now. Wanna take the kids to the park or the zoo or the beach for the day, trip to the in-laws or whatever? You can do it completely guilt-free without arguing about the cost of gas. Don't sell it as getting a new car, sell it as gaining a new sense of freedom.

My wife didn't get it at first. But as soon as it clicked in her head, she was all about it. Then, we we got to pickup my car she was obsessing over the Model X. lol

We have a 6 year old and plan to have another. My model 3 has plenty of space for a car seat and a booster. I feel like the model 3's have a ton of space for being a smaller 4 door. My wife has a SUV if we ever need more room.

My wife has been an electric car fan since 2012 when she bought her Nissan Leaf. She was also the one that suggested we get our first Solar array back in 2010, which has now grown with an additional solar array. She was also excited to get the Model 3 Performance as a replacement for her Leaf.

Unfortunately, our Model 3 delivery experience was really bad and the car was delivered with multiple paint defects, which required over $3600 worth of repair work at the Tesla approved body shop. Having a terrible delivery advisor didn't help much either.

When I brought up the idea of getting the 2020 Tesla Roadster as a replacement for my Acura NSX, she said "NO WAY" and wondered why I would go through all that frustration again.......

• Funny
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
When a wife is pregnant, usually her thoughts are all about the baby and security.

While the Tesla is super safe, old school thinking says the larger SUV is how to tote around a toddler.

Go to most any school and you will see tons of wives driving SUVs, CUVs and minivans.

Probably a good idea to wait for the Y. May be a Win-Win for both (all three :) of you.

It took A LOT of convincing to get my first Tesla 2 years ago (2014 P85). She said no multiple times and then I decided to get a Hyundai Genesis and then she changed her tune and said please don't get that, anything but that. So I got the P85. Well after a few weeks she fell in love, we even drove 900 miles to Chicago in it with 2 screaming kids and she said she would definitely do it again. We then saw that used X's were coming up for sale on Tesla last year and we found a 2016 75D. and that night she asked if we could order it. So we traded in the P85 for that. She's been in love with the car. It is the perfect family car. Well since then I have wanted a model 3 for a commuter car and to get rid of her CRV, well when Tesla had the pricing errors a few weeks back I pulled the trigger. I waited a few days to tell her because I didn't know how she would react and I could always cancel the purchase if I wanted. But I told her and she was so excited that she would be getting rid of her car and able to drive the Model X as 'Her car' now. Long story short, you just need to get people in the car first and their minds will usually change. We are now a 2 Tesla family and do not own a gas car. Range anxiety does not exist to us anymore like it did when I first got an EV.

Unless you have 3 kids, the 3 is a great car for young kids. I have a 2 y/o and being able to pre-cool the car is amazing. We've taken it on several road trips, camping from San Diego to Zion. I have no issues with his car seat but a rear facing one does eat up a lot of the front passengers leg room so if your wife is very tall it might be a little issue.

The only complaint my wife has is with all the glass the sun beams down on my son in the back so I bought a little sticky sun shade for him in the rear. My car is tinted too.

So, any tips and/or tricks? Anyone have VERY young children who have experience with the Model 3 they could share with me?

She has a car that she likes. You should have a car that you like. Pretty simply, in my opinion.

M3 is great for young children. Glass roof keeps them entertained, looking at the clouds and the moon. You should also highlight that it is one of the safest cars on the road.

My wife actually convinced me to pull the trigger in Sept 2018. She knew after the Prius my next car would be an EV. I had studied all of the available EV’s and knew the Tesla was the best choice by far. I took a test drive and removed any doubt.

I was trying to convince myself that I needed to wait for the SR model. When I did the math on the LR-RWD with full tax credit versus SR with partial credit the difference was not that much. Plus we have grandchildren 250 miles away. She and my daughters talked me in to pulling the trigger.

My wife took the test drive with me. When she drove it, she was sold. The next day she was begging me to order it!

This! I'd been talking about it for weeks and she had been brushing me off. One Saturday we had nothing planned and she surprised me with a "Let's go check out Teslas"......she took a test drive that day and our roles were instantly reversed. I finally ordered one a couple of weeks later and been loving it ever since.

Went for a test drive just before Q2 2019 ended. She was surprised it started around 40k (she thought it was 80k) and surprised how much room in the back for our 2 young kids. We weren't in a hurry to buy so we waited. About a month later, they dropped the price of the LR AWD to 48k and then the m3p- cars started to appear. Went for another test drive and our SA sold her on it. We put a deposit on it after the test drive. 48 hrs later we picked our m3p-. It's been 2 months and she finds excuses to drive it.

Interesting stories. Mine was simpler 'cause my wife is a fan of 'good-looking' thing. We first agreed to replace our current car with an EV because of the incentives, then I took her to test drove the few available EVs out there. The rest is simple, my wife said, "the others were ugly..."

TLDR: my wife is not a fan of the Model 3. Did anyone here have to convince their significant other to get on board with their Model 3 purchase? Was it a success? How did you do it?

I recently rented a Model 3 for 4 days (second time renting). Needed to see how it "fit" into my daily life. Overall, I had an absolute blast with it. Took it on a long day trip. Great car, no doubt about that. Supercharged it, the whole 9. I’ve been researching the car for around 7 months - going back and forth on whether to buy it or not. Watched all the videos, read TMC religiously and the like. No car payment right now, that’s a big big reason why I haven’t pulled the trigger yet. We are also expecting our first child early next year (budget killer, lol). That, and the thread subject..
Why does she not like the most amazing car on the planet? Well, its a car. She’s an SUV gal, and I have to tell you, we don’t have the money for a X (I much prefer the 3 anyway). She has her own SUV, so this car would be MINE. I’d drive it, care for it, pay for it, etc...
Still, though, happy wife happy life, right?. I want to enjoy the car with her - go on trips, hit that 0-60 in 3.2, just be part of the community which I’ve grown to enjoy.
So, any tips and/or tricks? Anyone have VERY young children who have experience with the Model 3 they could share with me?

You are not the only one with that situation. My wife does not like model 3 layout and she loves SUV. After driving my car for couple of months since i did not need it, she loves it not because it is electric but because it is electric she does not have to go to gas stations. She has fear of going to gas stations. So now she wants electric but SUV. We test drove Model X, she is ok with it. Windshield is at such low angle that she feels cramped i there a bit. But still now wants Model X to avoid gas stations and use carpool lane on her long commutes here in Los Angeles.

I also agree that Model X at 100K or so is double the price of Model 3. I could not convince my wife for another model 3 as she wants her SUV size and we sure dont want/cant spend that much money. So i feel your pain and good luck. Tell her this will save puppies.