Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you just buy a Tesla from Hertz Car Rental?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for sharing this thread!

Over 10,000 Tesla's were sold this weekend and I imagine all of us have this same problem. I wish there was a way to curate or delete the many unhelpful replies. But, your instructions on how to contact Tesla support were extremely helpful! Many of the features such as mobile key and myQ would not work with the vehicle still in guest mode.

I also noticed (after completing the purchase) that the rear driver side window has been vandalized. Any ideas how to remove etching from the windows?

Attachments

• IMG_3748.jpeg
    IMG_3748.jpeg
    388.7 KB · Views: 45
I purchased one from Hertz last week for my kids - 19k and change for a M3 Long Range. 87k miles on it but the drive train and battery still covered. I was able to see and test drive the car. Plenty of scratches and chips but also glad I don't have to worry about my kids learning on my Model X. The car is just going to be used to drive locally (driving to school, friends house, the mall, etc). I don't anticipate putting more than a couple thousand miles a year. The cars are selling really fast also - I called about a car, wanted to sleep on it, and it was gone the next day. The car I got was posted in the morning and almost sold before I got there in the afternoon (a buyer backed out last minute).

I purchased one from Hertz last week for my kids - 19k and change for a M3 Long Range. 87k miles on it but the drive train and battery still covered. I was able to see and test drive the car. Plenty of scratches and chips but also glad I don't have to worry about my kids learning on my Model X. The car is just going to be used to drive locally (driving to school, friends house, the mall, etc). I don't anticipate putting more than a couple thousand miles a year. The cars are selling really fast also - I called about a car, wanted to sleep on it, and it was gone the next day. The car I got was posted in the morning and almost sold before I got there in the afternoon (a buyer backed out last minute).
I put my kids in M3, best tips I have
get them use to washing it themselves, good old school discipline
more important, PIN limit the speed that puts the M3 into chill mode, hide the pin
best advice as when they drive and hit that speed, you will be notified, my are always hitting the limit
i cannot image letting them drive without the pin protected speed limit

Reactions: edwch and Hiline
You guys are not being helpful. You’re diving into all the wrong details. Just at my local dealerships in Seattle and Portland they sold over a dozen. The point is that it’s a major sell off and there’s lots of people who now own teslas but can’t access any features because they can’t take ownership in the automated process. OP gave some great instructions to help us out and the forum flooded it with shitposts.

*update* the solution given by OP no longer works. Tesla took four days to respond and then gave me a whole laundry list of items they now want:

Proof of temporary registration (name showing/matching drivers license)
Photo of registration (name showing/matching drivers license)
Photo of title
Photo of bill of sale (signed)

I don’t understand the need for so much security what could Russian hackers do with the info without access to the vehicle?
Anyways I’m one week in and haven’t resolved it yet.

Update on this, mine got update a couple hours after making my post. Mine also shows the Hertz Fleet authorization option.
This! I was able to charge the car once and now it won’t let me anymore it says I have an unpaid balance but doesn’t give me any way to pay it. I also can’t sign up for premium connectivity or use my mobile as a key ( completely, I can sort of)
Did Tesla never imagine someone might want to sell their car one day?

An article online quoted Hertz CEO Stephen Scherr saying that Hertz limits the torque and speed. Did anyone notice a change in the vehicle’s driving after the transfer? What else can’t I access with my $30k car in guest mode?

Got a 2022 AWD LR with 77,500 miles for $21k. I’m happy with it. Not perfect, but why pay for perfect and damage it myself for an extra $20k? Even got 30 days of premium connectivity with it. My wife’s first 3. Our first Tesla.

Estimated battery range is 315 miles. That’s 315*1.6 km to the rest of the world.
Welcome to the Tesla family

Reactions: IdaX
An article online quoted Hertz CEO Stephen Scherr saying that Hertz limits the torque and speed. Did anyone notice a change in the vehicle’s driving after the transfer? What else can’t I access with my $30k car in guest mode?

Yes, all Hertz Tesla vehicles are limited to 120MPH and the acceleration is set to "chill" mode. Once you get the ownership fiasco taken care of, you can remove the speed limit and set the car to standard mode. There is definitely a big difference in acceleration between chill mode and standard mode.

As far as the fleet authorization that some people have reported seeing on the key settings screen, some reports say it will be removed automatically after a few weeks. I assume that's because Hertz takes a few weeks on their side to remove sold Teslas from their backend systems, presumably that's how long it takes to get some of the paperwork pushed through (e.g. DMV, title, loan, etc.)

Got a 2022 AWD LR with 77,500 miles for $21k. I’m happy with it. Not perfect, but why pay for perfect and damage it myself for an extra $20k? Even got 30 days of premium connectivity with it. My wife’s first 3. Our first Tesla.

Estimated battery range is 315 miles. That’s 315*1.6 km to the rest of the world.

Congrats! You got an excellent deal. $21k - ~$3.4k tax credit = $17.6k. WOW! And 315 miles estimated range. What a deal! What a deal!