Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you just buy a Tesla from Hertz Car Rental?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok! I got some really good info to share. I was able to get my Tesla transferred to me! This only applies if you bought a Tesla from Hertz.
I'll go through what worked and what didn't.

What didn't work:
1. The Hertz Car Sales people are useless. They don't know anything.
2. The Hertz Emergency EV support line tried their hardest. But they don't have access to vehicles that are not currently an active rental.
3. Fidelity (the after-sales support company that Hertz uses) is more than useless. They don't know anything about Teslas, let alone how to transfer ownership. And they take forever to answer your call.
4. Adding a vehicle through the Tesla.com website did not work because it required me to change the vehicle name to a 3-letter code at the last step. Because Hertz locked my car in Guest mode it did not allow me to change the vehicle name. As such, the last step can never be completed. If you are able to change your car's name, maybe it'll work for you and you don't have to go through all the steps below.

What did work:
0. Make sure you already have a Tesla account. You don't need to have any cars or anything in your account. Just create an account at Tesla.com first if you don't already have one. Make sure you are connected to WiFi (tap the antenna icon at the top/right corner and connect to your home WiFi). Hertz Teslas do not have premium connectivity, so the car will not have access to celluar data. Anything that Tesla does on their side needs to be received by your car. So your car must be on WiFi to receive that.
1. Call Tesla's support line at 1-888-518-3752.
2. Choose vehicle support.
3. Explain that you bought a used Tesla from Hertz (3rd party) and your vehicle is in Guest Mode. You want to transfer ownership of the vehicle from Hertz to you.
4. The Tesla agent will ask for your Tesla account email, the car's VIN, and other information. They will send you an email requesting some more information, such as the VIN again, email address, home address, phone number, and you will need to attach photos of your driver license and bill of sale/registration/something that shows you own the car. Tip: Take good pictures with your phone. Don't send dark, fuzzy, out of focus pictures. Do it right the first time so you don't have to do it again.
5. Reply to the email and send all requested info to Tesla. The case number is in the subject line of the email, so don't change anything in the subject line.
6. The agent should receive it right away and start the process.
7. Shortly after you should get an automated email from Tesla saying that a vehicle was added to your account. For me, it took maybe 5 minutes and I got the email. I verified at Tesla.com that the car with my VIN was in fact in my account.
8. Thank the agent and continue to the next step inside your car.
--------
9. On the touchscreen, tap the car icon at the bottom/left corner.
10. Tap Control - Service - Factory Reset (you may have to scroll down if your screen is set to Large Text).
11. It'll ask for your Tesla login. Enter the email and password for your Tesla account.
12. The screen will go dark for a couple of minutes. Then you'll see the "T" logo as the computer starts up and eventually you'll see the main screen.
13. Since everything was reset, you might need your Key Card/Key Fob (your phone key was reset) and you can begin to set everything up again. Don't forget to set up WiFi first. While I was changing some settings, the screen blinked and the "T" logo came up like it just rebooted. I thought that was kind of strange. I don't know why it did that, but everything was fine afterwards.

Thank you for sharing this. I bought one from Hertz today. Will be calling Tesla support line tomorrow to start the process.

Reactions: CyberShy and IdaX
Just started the ownership transfer process with Tesla.

As of now, when I sit inside my car, a QR code pops up that allows me to add the car to my app. I do see the car on my app but once I exit the car, I need to use the key card to lock it and then the car disappears from the app.

Tesla said it took 3-5 days for the transfer process to finish. Will report back next week.

As of now, when I sit inside my car, a QR code pops up that allows me to add the car to my app. I do see the car on my app but once I exit the car, I need to use the key card to lock it and then the car disappears from the app.
Hertz rental vehicle access usually does get removed from your account when the key card is swiped. Why is it necessary for you to use the key card though? Isn't your walk-away lock working?

Probably because the car gets removed from my Tesla app when I get out of the car.

I had the same thing happen when I was trying to figure out how to transfer ownership.

You have to choose either the phone key or the key card. Because the moment you use the key card, the phone key is erased.

But all that is history now. Once you get the ownership transferred to you, all of those Hertz restrictions are removed.

Hertz (donut) report: Two tires ended up with leaky valve stems. Not sure why. One went flat overnight and the second started leaking the second time i balanced tire pressure. I could hear and feel it leaking, it was so bad. The first healed itself refilling after multiple actuations of the stem. I should probably replace it, too.

I've never had a leaky valve stem like this, so I just chalk it up to debris getting into it.

Also noticed that two tires are Goodyear Assurance and the others are Firestone Firehawks. Treads are 9, 8+, 7+ and 6/32s. Time to rotate. They will have to do until 2026 or longer (getting winters this fall). Got my lifting pucks to inspect brakes and for tires for nails.

I had to re-do the ownership transfer because Tesla requires that I send the temporary registration unfolded; whereas, Hertz folded the registration and stuck it to the windshield. I had to remove the sticker, almost ripped the paper from it, and cut out the color part so that everything is visible in one picture. Good thing I called in; otherwise I don't know how I would've found out that Tesla declined my ownership transfer request. I think I'm going to call them everyday now.

If you buy from Hertz, take a picture of the registration before they fold it, or ask them to print you another copy of it.

Last edited:
while it's till on Hertz ownership list you should see if you can get the service records. Once it's xfered to you Tesla will only give you YOUR service history.

Hmm interesting. I never thought of checking any service history, because my experience with owning a Tesla has been pretty much service-free. It's too late now, but how could I have done this before ownership transfer?

Reactions: buckets0fun
Hmm interesting. I never thought of checking any service history, because my experience with owning a Tesla has been pretty much service-free. It's too late now, but how could I have done this before ownership transfer?
Typically, you cannot. You don’t own it while it’s in their name, no different than you borrowing someone’s car and attempting to obtain records on it.

Reactions: Hiline
I had to re-do the ownership transfer because Tesla requires that I send the temporary registration unfolded; whereas, Hertz folded the registration and stuck it to the windshield. I had to remove the sticker, almost ripped the paper from it, and cut out the color part so that everything is visible in one picture. Good thing I called in; otherwise I don't know how I would've found out that Tesla declined my ownership transfer request. I think I'm going to call them everyday now.

If you buy from Hertz, take a picture of the registration before they fold it, or ask them to print you another copy of it.
The registration I was given by Hertz was not accepted by Tesla. It’s been two weeks. My biggest problem is for example today I needed to use a charging station but I can’t.
It’s so stupid, if someone steals my Tesla I would Want them to resister the car and tell me where they live and assign a credit card to the account. Like especially if the car is stolen I would want them to.

Reactions: IdaX
My new Tesla was added to my Tesla app today. So ownership transfer took 2 business days for me. I did a factory reset to reset the PIN. Also called Tesla insurance to add the car - the wait was much shorter than I was used to. Very pleased with Tesla service, and grateful for @JWLV sharing his experience.
Tesla service has NOT been helpful AT ALL. I tried calling but they don’t even have a phone number. Why can’t I add a credit card to the account so I can use fast chargers even if I did steal the car?

Just started the ownership transfer process with Tesla.

Tesla said it took 3-5 days for the transfer process to finish. Will report back next week.
Any luck?