Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you just buy a Tesla from Hertz Car Rental?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is just another insult to Tesla owners who bought the hype a few years back. I have been absolutely a$$ slammed by Tesla on depreciation. It’s turned me off so badly to the brand I’d likely NEVER buy another new one. The market for used ev’s is so bad right now that it’s borderline comical. Even good deals get blown off as buyers peruse for even better deals. You can literally get used low mileage Tesla’s for 60 to 75% off the original sticker price paid.
I’ll share a story about the Hertz debacle. A few weeks back I was visiting San Antonio. The media attack against electric cars has created a perfect storm that has absolutely crushed the used market. Their scare tactics have absolutely worked and officially swayed buyers who were on the fence into going hybrid many times. So I’m at the “dollar” rental car which I believe is affiliated or owned by hertz. It was a cheap Priceline booking because I wanted lowest price for 6 days. Guy at the counter goes, I can offer you a Kia forte. I said fine I don’t care I’m just driving it for under a week. Then he says snarkily, at least it isn’t electric! Now he didn’t realize his dumb a$$ comment was directed at a person who has not one but two Tesla’s at home. I said well, I actually have one at home. He goes oh, (pause), hopefully your other vehicle is gas powered and I go no I actually have two. What kind of anti ev country have we become when this is taking place? I said well if you are on a trip I can see about not wanting to worry about charging it but at home if you have a garage life is easy with an ev. He didn’t reply. So back to hertz, we need clarification from someone who actually purchased a used ev from them regarding the published prices on their site. I’m seeing cars listed for 24k that say ev credit. This would be impossible if the car is 28k and they are advertising the ev credit. The tax code says the starting price of the car must be 25,000 or less. I’m 99.9% sure the price advertised is before the ev credit. Which to me means the market is in complete disarray at this moment. You have long range 3s that are 2 years old with 70k miles and 50k miles of battery warranty going for 19,600 after credit. Yes I would absolutely consider a 3 from hertz especially if a large mileage gap existed on the remaining warranty. You have cars that literally have 30 to 50k of warranty left over another 6 year period. It’s borderline sickening to those buyers from a few years back to see Tesla depreciating 33% in 2023. Yes 33% and might get worse. Smfh

Depreciation got you bummed? Welcome to the world of buying new cars.

Don’t forget stock market drops, housing prices collapsing, rising interest rates, higher health care, increasing insurance, etc.

You have to get over it or it will eat you up inside. Few going to give you any sympathy except those who haven’t learned the same lesson themselves.

Do you need a hug?

Depreciation got you bummed? Welcome to the world of buying new cars.

Don’t forget stock market drops, housing prices collapsing, rising interest rates, higher health care, increasing insurance, etc.

You have to get over it or it will eat you up inside. Few going to give you any sympathy except those who haven’t learned the same lesson themselves.

Do you need a hug?
I’ll just need you to correct that the prices you see on hertz sales website is pre tax credit. You seemed to indicate prices are after a credit which is incorrect. Also, Tesla should be really concerned because 33% yearly depreciation is not sustainable. It will eliminate a large portion of their new sales if it continues. But you already knew that

• Funny
Reactions: CyberShy
what would you guys will choose 2022 40K mile RWD for 24K
or 2022 75K Mile Long range for same price ?
Personally I really want to purchase one of these deals on a long range soon, even if the miles are 75K or a bit higher. I value the power and all wheel drive mostly, and the extra range and better stereo system are a great bonus.

Keep in mind that while miles are higher on the long range, its warranty is through 120,000 miles while the RWD is 100,000 miles. So the 35k mile difference on the odometer is 15k difference in warranty.

But I think both are probably an equal value deal, it just depends on what you value.

what would you guys will choose 2022 40K mile RWD for 24K
or 2022 75K Mile Long range for same price ?

If you plan to sell the car in a couple of years, get the car with lower mileage. Due to the perceived uncertainty of battery life, a Tesla with 100k miles would not sell for much, especially one that has clearly been a fleet vehicle. A 60k-mile Tesla would likely retain value better.

The above statement is somehow saying pay more when you buy and get more when you sell without backing it up with any numbers.

Show me that a 2 year old tesla with 30k miles today and sold in two years with 60k has a lower delta cost than the equivalent Tesla purchased for some dollar amount less with 70k on it now and sold with 100k miles in 2 years. What the price of each at that time? We don’t know.

I have no evidence of either, but my statement is thus just as valid that it’s still cheaper overall. It comes down to cost/mile when it’s all said and done. How much did the car cost to use while you owned it and using it is mileage based.

It sure isn’t true in the first two years of ownership to eat 50% of depreciation and sell with 30K compared to buying new, but it isn’t possible to buy a zero month-old Tesla with 30k miles on it for less than full price to make a comparison.

If you plan to sell the car in a couple of years, get the car with lower mileage. Due to the perceived uncertainty of battery life, a Tesla with 100k miles would not sell for much, especially one that has clearly been a fleet vehicle. A 60k-mile Tesla would likely retain value better.
I plan on keeping it a long time. I think i am leaning towards AWD now. I do have Black RWD booked as rent to buy which will be available next week . If its very clean i will take it . otherwise i wont mind a little beat up Long range.

I just picked up a 2022 Long Range Dual Motor for $22k, before tax credit, from Hertz. It has 87k miles, but it was actually in pretty good condition. There are of course rock chips and a tiny dent in the hood, but surprisingly zero curb rash on the wheels. One annoying thing was they used very long screws to mount the front license plate, which went through the plate mount into the front bumper, and it's off center, of course. I'm also possibly having an issue with the left repeater camera, but I'm not worried about finding a replacement and replacing that myself. So far, none of the issues are worrisome, and potentially would be the same buying any other used Tesla.

We are getting snowpocalypse in Denver today, apparently, so I won't have a chance to go over it with a super fine toothed comb for a few days, but I'm very impressed with this for the $18k net price. To note; at least in Denver, they are not doing the tax credit at point of sale.

As far as buying experience:
We saw the vehicle listed on the site, but it wasn't totally a smooth buying process. We went to the location first thing when they opened, but the car was still at DIA (Denver airport) waiting to be sent over to the used sales lot. We asked if we could just buy it sight unseen, which they wouldn't do, however, because we were a little persistent about it, they agreed to hold it for us, and we would come back as soon as it came in. While we were there, at least 3 or 4 other people after us were interested in this car, and when we came back yesterday to finalize the paperwork, another few people called or came in about it. They didn't have to hold it for us, since there were so many people interested, but I appreciate that they did. They had another similar Model 3, but with half the mileage and was over the $25k, however it was not in as good of shape as the one we got.

I plan to call Tesla today about getting the ownership transfer started. I set up the phone key, so in the meantime, I have that for easy access, and didn't plan on supercharging for a while. This is my 6th Tesla, and 3rd Model 3. Such a great deal compared to the other 2 bought brand new (at least so far).

I just picked up a 2022 Long Range Dual Motor for $22k, before tax credit, from Hertz. It has 87k miles, but it was actually in pretty good condition. There are of course rock chips and a tiny dent in the hood, but surprisingly zero curb rash on the wheels. One annoying thing was they used very long screws to mount the front license plate, which went through the plate mount into the front bumper, and it's off center, of course. I'm also possibly having an issue with the left repeater camera, but I'm not worried about finding a replacement and replacing that myself. So far, none of the issues are worrisome, and potentially would be the same buying any other used Tesla.

We are getting snowpocalypse in Denver today, apparently, so I won't have a chance to go over it with a super fine toothed comb for a few days, but I'm very impressed with this for the $18k net price. To note; at least in Denver, they are not doing the tax credit at point of sale.

We saw the vehicle listed on the site, but it wasn't totally a smooth buying process. We went to the location first thing when they opened, but the car was still at DIA (Denver airport) waiting to be sent over to the used sales lot. We asked if we could just buy it sight unseen, which they wouldn't do, however, because we were a little persistent about it, they agreed to hold it for us, and we would come back as soon as it came in. While we were there, at least 3 or 4 other people after us were interested in this car, and when we came back yesterday to finalize the paperwork, another few people called or came in about it. They didn't have to hold it for us, since there were so many people interested, but I appreciate that they did. They had another similar Model 3, but with half the mileage and was over the $25k, however it was not in as good of shape as the one we got.

I plan to call Tesla today about getting the ownership transfer started. I set up the phone key, so in the meantime, I have that for easy access, and didn't plan on supercharging for a while. This is my 6th Tesla, and 3rd Model 3. Such a great deal compared to the other 2 bought brand new (at least so far).
They keep telling all wrong ranges as spoken for. It just got listed how ?
they keep telling me just find on rent to buy

They keep telling all wrong ranges as spoken for. It just got listed how ?
they keep telling me just find on rent to buy
I noticed the vehicle we wanted on a Sunday listed in inventory, and the Denver office is closed Mondays due to low staffing, so, first thing Tuesday morning I went in to ask about buying it. I did hear them tell someone on the phone that they might have better luck booking a rent to buy to stake your claim for one, but that really any vehicle listed on the website is available until someone signs the paperwork. However, many that are listed are not even at the dealership, and they won't sell it until it is physically there. There are not many listed in the rent to buy, and usually those are over the EV credit threshold.
Typically, they said they will take phone numbers from those interested, and start calling people when it shows up, and first one there gets it. But we built enough rapport with them that they offered to hold it and give us first right of refusal once it came in. I guess you just have to be persistent and a little lucky.

I'm not sure how you would buy one from a location you are not near though, because they wouldn't even let me buy this one until I saw it in person.

Reactions: tesluv108

Sounds to me you’ve confirmed that the price listed on hertz website is pre tax credit . Do they do any income verification or do they just say you need to fill out this tax form?

Sounds to me you’ve confirmed that the price listed on hertz website is pre tax credit . Do they do any income verification or do they just say you need to fill out this tax form?
Hertz only reports the sale to the IRS. On my taxes next year, I'll add that credit to my return. Hertz didn't ask anything about income or whether or not we qualify. That's why the prices are listed before the credit, not everyone qualifies.

• Informative
Reactions: tesluv108
well hertz customer service was absolute *sugar*. Booked a rent 2buy. Car didnt arrive the day of booking. When called nobody picks up the phone and when finally someone picked up and I asked "any guestimate when it will arrive?" Rude reply " I dont know what to tell you . Its not here . Someone will call you when it gets here" . then i saw some reviews about the location where poeple booked rent to buy and cars never arrived/ sold to someone else.

I was like f them. Found a Mitsubishi dealer who was also selling a hertz rental.
2022 Base RWD ,38K Mile $20,400 after Point of sale EV credit. and actually alot cleaner compared to what hertz have on their lot.

Reactions: CyberShy
well hertz customer service was absolute *sugar*. Booked a rent 2buy. Car didnt arrive the day of booking. When called nobody picks up the phone and when finally someone picked up and I asked "any guestimate when it will arrive?" Rude reply " I dont know what to tell you . Its not here . Someone will call you when it gets here" . then i saw some reviews about the location where poeple booked rent to buy and cars never arrived/ sold to someone else.

I was like f them. Found a Mitsubishi dealer who was also selling a hertz rental.
2022 Base RWD ,38K Mile $20,400 after Point of sale EV credit. and actually alot cleaner compared to what hertz have on their lot.

This is a good call. It does look like other dealerships have 2022 Model 3 units with relatively high mileage for sale as well. There may be better deals there than at Hertz. $20k for a 2-year-old Model 3 with 38k miles is a great deal!

In the process of purchasing a 2022 model 3 long range/dual motor for $20k before tax credit ($16k after when I file next year). Miles are 89,000 but I'd say it's a sweet deal. Getting it shipped from Chicago to Indy so I should have it in the next couple days.

Reactions: Hiline
In the process of purchasing a 2022 model 3 long range/dual motor for $20k before tax credit ($16k after when I file next year). Miles are 89,000 but I'd say it's a sweet deal. Getting it shipped from Chicago to Indy so I should have it in the next couple days.

Congratulations! Did you have to drive to Chicago to buy it or how did you manage to buy without being there in person?

Congratulations! Did you have to drive to Chicago to buy it or how did you manage to buy without being there in person?
I've done the entire purchase from home. Buying a car sight unseen is new to me but the dealership seems legit and has a lot of good reviews (Highline Auto Sales). I considered taking a bus to Chicago to see the car and drive it back, but that would have eaten up a whole Saturday and once they said shipping would probably be less than $300 I decided to go that route. They said they do more than half of their car sales out of state and ship them all the time.

• Informative
Reactions: Hiline