Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Diesel owner looking to convert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Comfort is subjective. Make sure you sit in one for an extended period of time. There are varying opinions of all different shapes and sizes on the various seat "options". For example, I have a 2013 model S with the stiffest crappiest seats known to man. I can get by on a couple hours, by comparison the "Next Gen 2.0" seats are incredible and I want to retrofit them when the prices come down.

Conversely, I've heard people here complain the 2.0's are trash, and hate them... to each their own.

Do not assume because it is a "car of the future" or that it is "expensive" that you are getting something for your money in other cars that you'd grow to expect in that price range ;)

Another factor to consider is the availability of charging at your destination. I have a 10 mile commute each way and top off every couple of days at either work or my gym not the way home, both of which have level 2 charging (~20 miles of range added per hour of charging time). I typically charge at work every couple of days and always at the gym. Between the two I haven’t had to charge at home for months.

If you have access to a charger at your destination or at any place you regularly stop it makes an enormous difference and something to factor in when you make your choice.

Another factor to consider is the availability of charging at your destination. I have a 10 mile commute each way and top off every couple of days at either work or my gym not the way home, both of which have level 2 charging (~20 miles of range added per hour of charging time). I typically charge at work every couple of days and always at the gym. Between the two I haven’t had to charge at home for months.

If you have access to a charger at your destination or at any place you regularly stop it makes an enormous difference and something to factor in when you make your choice.
The garage where I work at has a ev charging station (not tesla). the only thing I have to do is get on-board with the other ev guys that use it, they created a charging schedule..lol. but I'll probably take the other members advice a install a home charger.

Reactions: RScottyL
I've got a wide spectrum of vehicles and just put down a deposit for a used 2013 Model S 85 from a neighboring state. I'm not sure which cars we will keep but we currently use my modified 2001 VW Golf TDI for trips greater than 60 miles (great for road trips with a 700 mile range tank), 2013 Fiat 500e for local errands and my wife's commuter car (55-miles each way), 2006 GM Duramax for hauling, and a 2007 Lexus Rx400h for local errands/people mover. 80% of the reason for the Tesla is for the solo-HOV access decal, 15% for the extended range, 5% for just the right amount of tech. We're looking forward to remotely operating the HVAC and heated seats...a feature that expired on the Fiat.

I've got a wide spectrum of vehicles and just put down a deposit for a used 2013 Model S 85 from a neighboring state. I'm not sure which cars we will keep but we currently use my modified 2001 VW Golf TDI for trips greater than 60 miles (great for road trips with a 700 mile range tank), 2013 Fiat 500e for local errands and my wife's commuter car (55-miles each way), 2006 GM Duramax for hauling, and a 2007 Lexus Rx400h for local errands/people mover. 80% of the reason for the Tesla is for the solo-HOV access decal, 15% for the extended range, 5% for just the right amount of tech. We're looking forward to remotely operating the HVAC and heated seats...a feature that expired on the Fiat.

Are you aware of the CA decal changes coming Jan 1?

High-Occupancy Vehicle Lanes (AB 544, Bloom)

As previously announced, AB 544 created a new program to grant low-emission vehicles and transitional zero-emission vehicles access to high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes for an approximate four-year period, regardless of the vehicle occupancy level. A green or white decal is valid until Jan. 1, 2019, and vehicles displaying these decals no longer have access to HOV lanes.

Vehicles that were issued a green or white decal between Jan. 1, 2017, and March 1, 2018, are eligible to apply for a red decal that grants them access to HOV lanes until Jan. 1, 2022. The DMV notified these customers of their eligibility by mail. The DMV will issue light purple decals in 2019 that will grant access to HOV lanes until Jan. 1, 2023.

Decals are available to applicants who have not applied for or received a consumer rebate pursuant to the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project, unless they meet annual income requirements. For more information or to apply, visit DMV’s Clean Air Vehicle Decals webpage. Visit the California Air Resources Board website for additional information on vehicle eligibility.

As long as he is getting it from a non CA state and it was never registered in CA before (had stickers issued to it), then CA considers it a new vehicle as far as the program is concerned. That is the "loophole"

That is how I understand it and I confirmed it with both the Clean Air Board and DMV. The verbiage in regards to dates is based on when/if the car was registered into the decal program, not when the vehicle was purchased. The vehicle I have a deposit on was only registered in AZ and never applied for the CA HOV decal program. Our Fiat 500e was registered for the white decal back in 2014 and will lose solo HOV access in 5 days.

That is how I understand it and I confirmed it with both the Clean Air Board and DMV. The verbiage in regards to dates is based on when/if the car was registered into the decal program, not when the vehicle was purchased. The vehicle I have a deposit on was only registered in AZ and never applied for the CA HOV decal program. Our Fiat 500e was registered for the white decal back in 2014 and will lose solo HOV access in 5 days.

Yep, you could ship a 2012 in from wherever and get a red sticker. Same can be said for the older volts and Priuses, etc;

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
We just turned in our MS85 after leasing for 3 years. The interior leaves a LOT to be desired. Yes I know some like the "simplicity" but the materials are cheap and there a lack of storage compared to the M3 interior, which is much better thought out, IMO. The seats fit me fine but really lack adjustability compared to other luxury cars. Drive by your local supercharger during times you'd want to charge and see how busy it is. In California, they're all packed now with all the Tesla's running around. It's a decent car, but depends on what you're coming from.

You should be able to get an 85D with AP1 for $50k or less. With home charging your 100 mile commute should be no problem. I drove a 2015 85D for 3 years with a 50 mile daily commute and frequent 100 mile drives with no difficulty. I traded it in for a 2018 100D to get AP 2.5 and more range. I think an 85 D should meet your needs and provide an awesome driving experience.

First off, Merry Christmas/ Happy holidays everyone. hopefully you all had a safe and enjoyable holiday.

Ok, I am currently a diesel truck owner thats daily commute is closing in on 100 miles a day. No my truck doesn't belch huge black clouds of smoke, but driving to and from the city I'm looking for something more comfortable and fuel efficient. I have been watching the m3 and ms closely and I have probably watched every youtube video on them..lol. I do like the fact the model s has free supercharging as there is a center 5 miles from my house so that's a plus. But what are some of the pros and cons you guys have experienced. the two models im looking at are the m3 2015 75d and a new p3d, any insight or advice for a potential ice convert who is use to a powerful truck. Thanks in advance
Happy holidays to you as well, I have only owned my model 3 since April but I have logged 15k miles since then and I own a 2008 super duty 6.4 with Banks 6 shooter, intercooler, monster exhaust and Carli suspension, it is a work truck and up to 140k miles but still drives great (at 10 to 11 mpg) having said that I really enjoy the model 3 RWD, it's like driving the closest thing to a slot car that is also a family/sport sedan, there really is nothing like it at least that I have ever driven.

My story goes like this, I Put the deposit down in March of 2016 with thousands of others while my wife tells me "I'm not driving a car with batteries!, what if it runs out?" and "that's gonna be your car then!" I wait impatiently with thousands of people.

In January 2018 a rep asks me if I would like to borrow a model S P100DL, well YEAH!, I take the car overnight , first time every driving a Tesla and am absolutely shocked at how fast this car is (no its outrageously fast! makes my vision blur on launch fast!), how well it handles (for it's size and weight) and how comfortable it is EXCEPT, seats are a little narrow for my big a** (I'm 6' 1" and 245lbs.) it's also a little more difficult with ingress/egress but for me the seat comfort was not quite right, also to expensive even for the base model.

Feb 2018 I'm invited to configure the model 3, I decide that maybe I should test drive one first?, Turo has a brand new one delivered 1 day before I rent it in Irvine near me, I take it for 2 days to see how we are going to live with it, everything is awesome with the car EXCEPT it rode rougher than my truck (Early December 2017 build with shocks and springs having went through redesign since then) the wife and I really wanted to love this car and we did but the ride for us was unbearable as a daily driver, 2 days of contemplating and I pull the trigger anyway and am looking at softer springs and or coilover developments from other aftermarket places to soften the ride while we wait for delivery.

April 26, delivery day and Wife is still telling me the ride is to rough, she is getting another BMW and I can keep the car, we drive off the lot at the delivery center and wait a minute? this thing rides WAY smoother than the one we rented, a few minutes later and we pull over so the misses can try it and within 5 minutes this die hard BMW driver is a convert and she is telling me that she will keep this car, oh and for me and her the front seats are some of the most comfortable we have ever tried in a car, nothing fancy but they just fit right, Autopilot for what you drive=gotta have it, if you have a lot of good frwy. on your route it is the best for relieving stress esp. in traffic.

My Brother in law test drives our car, Tesla lends him the same S they gave me, he is torn as he personally likes the S better esp. the neck snapping speed, in the end he gets a fully loaded M3PD+ and loves it, he says it's PLENTY fast, too fast and he can't help driving it to fast because its just to fun, I drove his car for 20 to 30 miles and found that his rides a bit more harsh than mine but mine is also broken in so i'm sure that makes the difference even more pronounced on the ride quality.

Wife's old mantra "nothing drives like a BMW" new mantra "nothing drives like a Tesla"

This is our favorite car that we have ever owned having owned some nice new Volvo's, Mercedes, BMW's, Cadillac's and even renting some exotic way to expensive for our taste vehicles.

Hope this helps without being too long?

Last edited:
Reactions: RScottyL
Its crazy how the weather effects mileage on big trucks.

Maybe someone commented already, EV’s are also impacted by weather conditions.
So the positive is that it is something you are familiar with already.

I came from a diesel, but a Audi A4 Avant, not real comparison with your Truck.

Appreciate your open discussion and hope you find (car) happiness with the 3 or the S.

Maybe someone commented already, EV’s are also impacted by weather conditions.
So the positive is that it is something you are familiar with already.

I came from a diesel, but a Audi A4 Avant, not real comparison with your Truck.

Appreciate your open discussion and hope you find (car) happiness with the 3 or the S.

Yeah most people don’t realize the added cost of owning a diesel vehicle, someone said getting a Tesla to save money wouldn’t be wise. They don’t know how ugly the maintenance is, diesels have fuel filters that need to be changed just as often as the oil filter. The truck requires def(diesel exhaust fluid) because of emissions, those systems fail constantly. Then in the winter they need fuel additives to help prevent fuel from gelling. Let’s not mention the massive mpg loss going from summer diesel to winter diesel, I lost 7mpg. So for me going with a used tesla will not only give me a more comfortable ride but it’s cheaper in the long run.

Quick update if anyone is wondering, the truck sold so I’m on the hunt for a clean Tesla. Question now is, new model 3 or slightly used model s

Reactions: Brian-MS90D
Quick update if anyone is wondering, the truck sold so I’m on the hunt for a clean Tesla. Question now is, new model 3 or slightly used model s

We use our MS like a truck: we have carried furniture, cabinets, a dishwasher, and you-name-it in the back. More difficult to do that with the M3 as it has no hatchback. Just one factor to consider. You may also be able to snag a CPO with supercharging. Not necessary for use around town as we charge at home but great for road trips. But, speaking of cost, even if we had to pay for the electricity consumed without free supercharging , it is still a fraction of the cost of ICE vehicles (for me it has worked out to $.04/mile in electricity).

Good luck with your choice.

We use our MS like a truck: we have carried furniture, cabinets, a dishwasher, and you-name-it in the back. More difficult to do that with the M3 as it has no hatchback. Just one factor to consider. You may also be able to snag a CPO with supercharging. Not necessary for use around town as we charge at home but great for road trips. But, speaking of cost, even if we had to pay for the electricity consumed without free supercharging , it is still a fraction of the cost of ICE vehicles (for me it has worked out to $.04/mile in electricity).

Good luck with your choice.
If all the miles were charged at home, mine would work out to about 2.5 cents per mile--including loss from wall to battery.

• Informative
Reactions: Ciaopec
Yeah most people don’t realize the added cost of owning a diesel vehicle, someone said getting a Tesla to save money wouldn’t be wise. They don’t know how ugly the maintenance is, diesels have fuel filters that need to be changed just as often as the oil filter. The truck requires def(diesel exhaust fluid) because of emissions, those systems fail constantly. Then in the winter they need fuel additives to help prevent fuel from gelling. Let’s not mention the massive mpg loss going from summer diesel to winter diesel, I lost 7mpg. So for me going with a used tesla will not only give me a more comfortable ride but it’s cheaper in the long run.

I love my S, wouldn't trade it for a 3, drove them and decided they weren't for me. The storage space in an S is ridiculous. I'd buy another S if presented the choice between a new 3 or a slightly used S.

Reactions: Ciaopec
I love my S, wouldn't trade it for a 3, drove them and decided they weren't for me. The storage space in an S is ridiculous. I'd buy another S if presented the choice between a new 3 or a slightly used S.

See the storage isn't a big deal with me, I do like how the model s has a display behind the steering wheel. That's the only grip I have with the model 3. I'm just having a hard time deciding autopilot v2 is worth it or if i should just get an older model, being how I haven't driven either is it an option I can do with or without. That decision seems to be the biggest hurdle I'm facing right now. But I definitely appreciate all the advice from everyone in this thread

being how I haven't driven either
You should be able to find some pretty fair prices on Turo rentals Find unique cars for rent nationwide this is something I would think will make up your mind one way or the other if you can spend the night with an S then a 3.

Tesla does sometimes offer to give overnight test drives and they did that for me once when they were trying to sell me an S before the 3 was available to me so I would check into that as well

Reactions: UnderCharged