Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference between 2019 Model S 100D LR and current (2020) LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What month was your car made? Tesla makes changes regularly. If you have an early 2019 - pre Raven - it has a less efficient motor. If your's is a Raven, well then I don't know. It may just be the software update that just went out, reportedly increasing both power and range by a small amount.

What month was your car made? Tesla makes changes regularly. If you have an early 2019 - pre Raven - it has a less efficient motor. If your's is a Raven, well then I don't know. It may just be the software update that just went out, reportedly increasing both power and range by a small amount.
I am considering the purchase of a 2019. It appears it's "pre-raven"
I guess that means it has the same battery but a less efficient motor? Are you aware of any other differences?

OMG,S Thanks for your help. Is there somewhere to find complete information (other than you guys)?
What does adaptive suspension do
I own one that was made the week before the raven changeover. The primary driving difference is the adaptive suspension. The pre-raven will have adjustable air suspension. Any range difference is good too but at 10% your driving style will matter more. Both cars are very fast. The PM motors also give you the new STOP function.

As far as FSD and autopilot go, zero difference. I have HW2.5 and MCU2 with full cone visualizations and am getting upgraded to HW3 in four days.

Some of the very late pre-ravens like mine have upgraded components typically considered raven only such as the underbody and the new improved modular door handles (you don't have to replace them if you replace the door). Also, unlike the raven, the LR pre-raven 100D will charge at full speed on the new V3 chargers. Tesla limited the raven to bring parity within the new model 3 line.

I own one that was made the week before the raven changeover. The primary driving difference is the adaptive suspension. The pre-raven will have adjustable air suspension. Any range difference is good too but at 10% your driving style will matter more. Both cars are very fast. The PM motors also give you the new STOP function.

As far as FSD and autopilot go, zero difference. I have HW2.5 and MCU2 with full cone visualizations and am getting upgraded to HW3 in four days.

Some of the very late pre-ravens like mine have upgraded components typically considered raven only such as the underbody and the new improved modular door handles (you don't have to replace them if you replace the door). Also, unlike the raven, the LR pre-raven 100D will charge at full speed on the new V3 chargers. Tesla limited the raven to bring parity within the new model 3 line.
How good is the adaptive suspension? Is it a smoother ride? Better handling? Both?
What is HW2.5 and MCU2 (sorry for being so ignorant... I wish Tesla had more information available)
Also, are the new V3 chargers even faster than the current supercharger? Why would they want to maintain parity with model 3s?

The pre raven 100D has a 4.3s 0-60 but in reality it’s closer to 3.8 sec. Also heard some raven owners saying their 100d loaner seemed to launch quicker and with more pep.

The range is 10% less on the pre raven and less efficient motors therefore real world % will be a bit lower than the raven.

Raven Adaptive suspension handles better and softer than the pre- raven air susp, however with air one has the ability to set the susp height for various areas ie. driveway, specific streets etc and the system retains the Gps memory :)

it's just the efficiency of the new front motor on the Raven S and X that has increased with the new software - they have rerated the 2020's with the increased range. The 'old' 19 Ravens will have the same range - in this case, it's just software

How good is the adaptive suspension? Is it a smoother ride? Better handling? Both?
What is HW2.5 and MCU2 (sorry for being so ignorant... I wish Tesla had more information available)
Also, are the new V3 chargers even faster than the current supercharger? Why would they want to maintain parity with model 3s?

I can only comment on the air suspension pre-raven - from the comments above I would say that for me it would be the best new feature. I discovered that I like a lower suspension on the highway than on the rural roads where I live. I can do this manually while driving or by speed limit, or by geofencing as in my driveway where I have a high garage curb lip. It is the best I have had but the the adaptive air suspension sounds better for sure. But truthfully for 80% of my driving it would not matter and the geofenced auto raise I have is what I need the most.

Regarding supercharging almost all of them you encounter will be V2 which means a max of 150Kw. Ideally mine charges at 140 to 150 kilowatts for the first half of the charge, I think the raven models are the same. This equates to around 500+ miles of range per hour, but you won't charge at that rate for more than about 30% depending on many factors such as temperature and SOC (State Of Charge) when you arrive.

The new V3 superchargers are 250Kw or 1000 miles per hour but I have never seen one, there are none in Texas. According to an interview with Elon and his head engineer, they limited the raven models to 200KW at V3 chargers because their already long range - the MS raven will get the same range in the same amount of time charging at 200Kw as the as the M3 raven get charging at 250Kw. Please don't ask me to justify or explain this, or the attitude that a lesser expensive car should have parity with a higher priced car.

The relatively small group of pre-raven MS (and MX) 100D LR vehicles made in 2019 are the only MS models that will charge at 250Kw. This is not from me but from Elon. I would not let that affect your decision at all. And unless you are going to do mostly highway driving free Supercharging for life sounds better than the actual fact. In the 15K miles I have put on my MS, mostly highway and with supercharging, my total charge was only going to be around $93, but the car came with free SC.

I would rest my decision on adaptive suspension and a bit more range AND one pedal driving, but not much else. Balance that with the discount on the pre-raven. Either car is going to drive most any ICE vehicle into the ground in most every way.

Reactions: SilverGS

Attachments

• Tesla Red Raven.jpg
    Tesla Red Raven.jpg
    561.2 KB · Views: 182