Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference between autopilot and full self drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering the full self drive however I'm not too fussed about the park and summon features as I'm mostly just going to be driving to and from work. I'm sure it would be great for showing off in a parking lot but that seems about it for me. Any experiences in the difference between autopilot and the full self drive when it comes to highway journeys?

I'm considering the full self drive however I'm not too fussed about the park and summon features as I'm mostly just going to be driving to and from work. I'm sure it would be great for showing off in a parking lot but that seems about it for me. Any experiences in the difference between autopilot and the full self drive when it comes to highway journeys?
FSD works great for me on 4 lane divided highways. NOA so far so good. Summon in its current iteration...meh. YMMV

All but certain you will not receive any NEW driving features. Also I think you don't get auto lane change by signal (love this more than Navigate). It is VERY nice to change lanes automatically when you want while using AP. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Also supposed to get "Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs." &
"Automatic driving on city streets." & Enhanced "Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really." before the end of the "Elon" year.

Screen Shot 2019-07-01 at 6.57.56 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: hcdavis3
Here's my experience from a current owner who is currently grandfather in with the old "Enhanced Autopilot"

Those features include:
• Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC)
• Autosteer
= these two combined is basically Autopilot that is available now for all trim models.

• Navigate on Autopilot highway to highway
• Auto Lane Change
• Autopark
• Summon (Enhanced Summon once it is available)
• Red traffic light recognition when using autopilot (will provide warning but will not stop vehicle)

Autopilot alone is worth it for 30+ minute drives and bumper to bumper traffic. Takes the stress out of driving during long drives.
I didn't purchase Full Self-Driving yet since none of the features are currently available. If you want auto lane change you would be forced to purchase full self-driving package

Where Full Self-Driving will be beneficial if you decide to purchase this package is the following:
• Autosteer
• Navigate on Autopilot highway to highway
• Auto Lane Change
• Autopark
• Enhanced Summon
• Self-driving on city streets
• Traffic light and stop sign recognition
• Other features that have not yet been announced

Last edited:
AP= Traffic aware cruise control, and auto-steer within your single lane.

That's it.

Everything else (since March) requires FSD... including the stuff you mentioned (summon/autopark) but also auto lane change via turn signal, and navigate on autopilot (to change lanes on its own and handle exit ramps and highway interchanges)- those extra features are certainly pretty useful on highway trips.

And as noted all new features likewise will be coming only to FSD cars for new vehicles

FSD also includes a free upgrade to the HW3 FSD driving computer (though new production cars are mostly coming with these already and it supposedly only matters for FSD cars anyway)

Reactions: follow.johnny
In making this call you should also know that the "features" of FSD are incremental. So how useful it would be "today" really means today, and also means usefulness will depend on exactly what your commute would be.

If the commute includes a couple of freeways navigate on autopilot would be immediately useful, especially if you are in traffic, because it is in traffic, particularly slower traffic, where autopilot seems to do as well as you would do anyway.

But, it depends on the fwy. For example, the thing about fwys is that even though a speed limit is technically, say 65 mph, as a driver, especially when it is your usual route, you know when it really better to do 50 mph or when its safe to do 70 mph. Autopilot is not really at a level where it makes those decisions.

Also, autopilot's ability on exit ramps is still catching up to yours, so depending on how obvious the ramp is, well, that will govern how well autopilot handles it.

This is hard to describe but easier to experience.

What may happen next month is that the car will drive the same fwy section better and smoother. That is certainly what others are reporting.

If you don't care about the parking feature, the only additional thing you get with FSD is automatic lane changing. I use auto pilot all the time. Probably 90% of the time on city streets and freeways. The thing on freeways that kind of sucks is that, when you change lanes, you have to reset autosteer. I don't know if it learns your driving habits, thus making mine really good because I use it all the time, but I could not love AP more if I tried.

..., the only additional thing you get with FSD is automatic lane changing....The thing on freeways that kind of sucks is that, when you change lanes, you have to reset autosteer.....

Auto lane change works great on multi-lane city streets too. Especially in slower heavy traffic and you are trying to make a change while having to look in all directions. Nice to have Autopilot 2ed checking the lane to be sure it is open....and it just moves over if so.