Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference in FSD between Model Y and Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
X has a radar sensor that the Y doesn’t although it’s not currently used for anything and not clear if it ever will be.

The cars should perform identically as of now.

That said, if your primary purchase motivation is to have FSD drive you during your commute I would oh so highly recommend you demo or rent a car first so you can see how it will behave. There’s a very good chance you’ll be disappointed.

X has a radar sensor that the Y doesn’t although it’s not currently used for anything and not clear if it ever will be.

The cars should perform identically as of now.

That said, if your primary purchase motivation is to have FSD drive you during your commute I would oh so highly recommend you demo or rent a car first so you can see how it will behave. There’s a very good chance you’ll be disappointed.
Yes. If you think you're gonna be able to sit back and relax while the car does all the work you're in for a big surprise.

Someone said FSD was like a singing dog; even if he sings terribly you'd be amazed he can sing at all. The fact that the car can drive itself for the most part is amazing, even if it's complete sh!t compared to a human driver.

Reactions: ucmndd and El joe
FSD is like hiring a 12 year old to drive you to work. Might be a cute novelty once or twice but needs constant babysitting, only sort of understands the rules of the road, and will overall RAISE your stress level - not lower it.

Sincerely,
One of the original long-haul commuting suckers that bought into the FSD scam way back in 2016

Reactions: tmwnn
If getting FSD to "drive you" the system will deactivate after several warnings and you will need to drive yourself.
FSD needs ALL your attention, you need to touch the steering, you need to be looking at the road (one of the reasons there is a inside camera), if you don't it stops working and after several warnings it deactivates.

Until you can create custom routes in Navigation, FSD is fatally crippled. It's good for going someplace you have no idea how to get to because any route is as good as any other in that case, but if you want to take a specific route based on your experience or preference, it's a major hassle. This is before getting into any of the brain-dead stuff FSD does (*). My solution has been to choose two intermediate destinations on my normal route and use them like waypoints, canceling them as I get close and picking the next. This works but you have to fiddle with the screen, which is less safe and causes nags.

(*) The software obviously does not use map data to look ahead. Invariably on my way into work, it wants to merge into a right lane at one point, but that lane ends in a quarter mile after two stop lights. All this does is create additional risk by merging right, then merging left in a pretty congested spot. I cancel and send a complaint to Tesla. Also on the way in to work, a single lane broadens to two lanes and I will need to make a right turn in less than half a mile from that point. FSD will not choose the right lane, and if I force it, it tries to merge into the left lane meaning it would have to merge back right away in a very congested area. Weirdly, in the first spot where I have this merge problem, FSD prefers the right lane and in the second instance, the left -- both are obviously wrong if FSD looked at Navigation data.

On my way home, it does the same thing on a different stretch of road -- about 1000' before the right lane becomes a right turn only lane, it tries to merge into that lane even though I need to go straight there, and turning right would mean a major detour and breaking the route Navigation has set.

It also handles rural stop signs badly -- these are usually 10-20' from the actual intersection, so it stops even with the sign, then creeps up to the intersection, stops again, then goes. If I have a car behind me, I take over so I'm not being a jerk.

Anyway, the singing dog comment above is spot on.

I agree with all the previous posts on the limitations of FSD and would like to add my take on it to the mix. I don't think it is worth $8k to buy it, given its current state of development. I look at it as driver augmentation software and I use it with both hands gently on the wheel and my right foot hovering above the gas pedal. I gently put on the gas towards stop signs to alieviate those annoying early stops. I adjust the speed using the right scroll wheel both to speed up and occasionally slow down.

I think it is best on long road trips on long stretches of noncongested highway where it can somewhat ease the tedium of driving. But I am still ever vigilant, ready to steer, brake or accelerate on my own, you know, like a regular car.

I second everything that's been said here. FSD is awesome initially till you come to a point where you get tired of babysitting the car and might as well drive yourself. During an upcoming merge, it does not allow the incoming cars room to merge but makes me look like an ahole bullying past. The software can be awesome for long stretch of roads while on a roadtrip but for day to day traffic and commute its more of a headache. The singing dog is a great analogy.
Good luck to Tesla and the Robotaxi if FSD is the only way to drive it.