Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Digital Output Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody else think Tesla should have our kW output shown in numbers like the speed instead of an orange meter. I would even love an updated orange output meter that had smaller increments of 5 up to about 40 kW. Let's face it, no one pays as much attention to output once it reaches 40 or so. I think this would benefit people who often hypermile or just need to be as efficient as possible to reach a destination.

And what's with the blue meter? I've never paid any mind to it. Why's it there? (Rhetorical) There's got to be a better way to display cruise. What about displaying regen on the left and gen on the right?

I'm curious to hear your desired layout/format.

The blue speed metre is there mostly for aesthetics so that the orange/green metre will be balanced. There's probably a case to be made for the orange/green metre to go all the way around the display but it might look funny because the dividing line would be at 1:00 or 2:00. No comment about the cruise control display as I never use it. I find the orange/green metre just fine as they are because you can just glance to see how much you're using rather than having to look at a number. My kW/h are reasonably good, so I have no complaints about how kWs are displayed--if they weren't I might want a change.

I lifted these thoughts from ixda.org:

In general, analog displays are better than digital displays for at
least three reasons:
1. They show the possible normal limits of measurement.
2. They allow operators to read rough values from the position of a
needle (still, however, precise values if needed should be provided as a
readout). This is effective in the case of a single readout, but
increasingly effective when there are multiple readouts, because
operators can easily see the single indicator that is out of place.

3. They allow operators to perceive trend information - is the value
stable, is it fluctuating about some mean value, is it trending up
slowly or quickly.

i don't mind having digital displays, but appreciate this writer's thoughts on the advantages of analog displays.