Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Diminished value claim...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, Roger. I don't see where you posted more above, and I'm having trouble understanding your situation. I'd be happy to shed what light I can if you were to explain more fully what's going on.

If you simply mean that you had damage to your car, State Farm insures you, you are getting it fixed at Tesla, and State Farm is unhappy with the charges, then I say this: "State Farm can be unhappy. It's not your job to make State Farm happy."
Well, I didn't so much "have damage" (passive voice) to my car as I was at fault and although the damage was physically done to my car when another vehicle hit it, as far as insurance is concerned "I" damaged it. Yes, State Farm insures me. I am getting it fixed at a Tesla-certified shop, but not "at" Tesla, yes State Farm is unhappy with the charges. State Farm's being unhappy has the very real consequence of dragging out the repair process, which has the very real and material consequence of meaning I will need to pay for the rental replacement longer once the limited coverage runs out.

I have made the point forcefully to SF that I recognize that they may have bitten off more than they can chew insuring Teslas at their current premiums, at least in Indiana (where there is exactly one shop to do these repairs) but that this is their problem, going forward, and not my problem now, given that I've been paying the agreed-upon premiums.

Interesting that the DV they agreed to was more than the cost of the repair. That seems like a very large settlement for a Model S 60. What is that like 10% of the value of the car?
My car was only three months old at the time of the accident. The DV is based on the date you got hit. I'm curious how much less Tesla would give me on trade-in after this accident . $5,000 - $7,000 wouldn't surprise me.

Wasn't this all settled as part of the estimation process before any labor was done? Did you agree to have the shop go ahead and do the work even though the on-the-hook insurance company hadn't signed off on the cost? I'm curious about this because I've been dealing with some very similar issues in repairing my own car where my insurance company (State Farm) is really unhappy with the labor rates changed by the only Certified Tesla shop in my state.
Before the work began they cut me a check for $1,900 based on their preferred, non-certified body shop's estimate. The certified shop at the time I got the estimate of $4,500 from had told me that they would worry about collecting from the insurance company, and that I wouldn't have any out of pocket expenses. A few days before I was supposed to drop my car off, the body shop emailed me saying that I would be responsible for any amount less than their estimate, that they couldn't collect. They had changed their policy because certain insurance companies were not paying their aluminum car labor rates. Kind of lame since they didn't actually do any work on the aluminum. They just replaced the door. Anyway after this I called the other certified shop in town, but they told me it would be 5 or 6 months before they could repair it. I think they just made that up because they didn't want to deal with trying to collect from the particular insurance company that was handling the claim.

The body shop gave me the name of an appraiser to talk to. When I talked to the appraiser he assured me that I would be able to get the full repair covered and also collect diminished value for at least the amount of his fee, but most likely a few thousand dollars more. He said it would be a hassle, and it was, but if I followed his advice I would eventually be reimbursed. So, yes I had the work done without the insurance company agreeing to pay for the full repair. I was between a rock and a hard place and I figured the law would be on my side when all was said and done. Luckily, in the end, I found a good lawyer to hold my hand.

Last edited:
Well, I didn't so much "have damage" (passive voice) to my car as I was at fault and although the damage was physically done to my car when another vehicle hit it, as far as insurance is concerned "I" damaged it. Yes, State Farm insures me. I am getting it fixed at a Tesla-certified shop, but not "at" Tesla, yes State Farm is unhappy with the charges. State Farm's being unhappy has the very real consequence of dragging out the repair process, which has the very real and material consequence of meaning I will need to pay for the rental replacement longer once the limited coverage runs out.

I have made the point forcefully to SF that I recognize that they may have bitten off more than they can chew insuring Teslas at their current premiums, at least in Indiana (where there is exactly one shop to do these repairs) but that this is their problem, going forward, and not my problem now, given that I've been paying the agreed-upon premiums.
I really can't say I understand the problem with this insurers and, frankly, these shops.

If your bank account is generally funded, I would -- and have -- handle it this way. After State Farm has a chance to inspect the vehicle, you take it to a responsible place to be repaired. Sounds like you did that. You emphasize that they work for you and that if they want to be paid, they must deal with you alone. The insurer has nothing to do with it. Nothing. You get the repair done. You pay for the repair (there's the rub sometimes), and you hand the bill to State Farm to reimburse you. If they refuse, you take them to court.

Because, what happens otherwise, is the insurer takes over the repair and starts "deciding" that used parts are fine, and skipping some work is fine, and a few layers of primer paint is unnecessary, and parts that were not really meant for your car will have to do. And you will need know this. And it's unacceptable. They are stealing from you.

Unfortunately, not everyone has $10,000 laying around when that's what it takes. And few want to put out that cash up front and become concerned that they might not recover it. But that is the surest way to go if there is any way you can.

And none of this is different just because the accident was your fault. That's still one of the reasons you have insurance.

Caveat: Do not have ANYTHING on the bill that was not part of the insured repair. It will only trip you up.

I really can't say I understand the problem with this insurers and, frankly, these shops.

If your bank account is generally funded, I would -- and have -- handle it this way. After State Farm has a chance to inspect the vehicle, you take it to a responsible place to be repaired. Sounds like you did that. You emphasize that they work for you and that if they want to be paid, they must deal with you alone. The insurer has nothing to do with it. Nothing. You get the repair done. You pay for the repair (there's the rub sometimes), and you hand the bill to State Farm to reimburse you. If they refuse, you take them to court.

Because, what happens otherwise, is the insurer takes over the repair and starts "deciding" that used parts are fine, and skipping some work is fine, and a few layers of primer paint is unnecessary, and parts that were not really meant for your car will have to do. And you will need know this. And it's unacceptable. They are stealing from you.

Unfortunately, not everyone has $10,000 laying around when that's what it takes. And few want to put out that cash up front and become concerned that they might not recover it. But that is the surest way to go if there is any way you can.

And none of this is different just because the accident was your fault. That's still one of the reasons you have insurance.

Caveat: Do not have ANYTHING on the bill that was not part of the insured repair. It will only trip you up.
That sounds like some really good -- if belated (not your fault, of course) -- advice. Although it is too late to spare the delays that SF has added to the process, I wonder if it might still be wise to "take over" as you suggest. The shop has insisted all along that they don't let the insurance companies push them around and that they do "the right thing", unequivocally, but I'm already pretty nervous about the ability of a shop to truly restore the car to pre-accident condition even under the best of circumstances.

Not to (further) hijack this thread, but if anyone's curious about what I'm referring to here: Ouch! MS 90D repair saga begins...

So I live in MD and my Model S was hit and had $4800 worth of damage. I am leasing the car and having it repaired by a Tesla certified repair shop who will have the car for about a month. Am I able to get a DV claim even though I'm leasing the car? Will Tesla try to collect funds for the accident at the end of my lease?

Thanks in advance!

I'm in the process of doing so now. After the repairs were complete I obtained DV estimates from two companies specializing in diminished value claims. We're currently butting heads with the at-fault insurer, Progressive, who is reported to be the absolute worst to deal with for diminished value claims.
I understand that my company, State Farm, is not much better. So anyone have great insurance recommendations? Unfortunately you don't find out how good or bad your insurance policy is until you file a claim.