Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Directline won't insure car as not registered yet.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have the plate details and we are picking up the car on saturday but Directline won't insure it yet as its not registered. Anyone had this? What is the process? Wait until friday?

Thanks!
I obtained a quote online just putting in the car details (Make and model) and then phoned them with the quote reference number, and added my reg to the policy. Picking mine up tomorrow, and have my insurance in place with the registration plate on the insurance certificateate. So it can definitely be done

Strange ? Direct Line was the only insurance company I could get to ensure the car without it being registered with the DVLA

As suggested above call them.

Worth noting once I got the V5 after a few days I was able to shop around, find a cheaper insurer and move courtesy of the 14 day cool down period (LV where less than 1/2 the price of Direct Line).

Just insured mine today (pick up car end of next week). Did quote online and Churchill came out as best price for £428 inc extras for legal cover, loan car (worked out as £60 of extra costs) with £400 excess. Once quote online, phoned them with the registration number and mentioned that the car is in the name of my Limited company - really good customer service.

• Helpful
Reactions: TheFuturist
Make sure you ask them to add AutoPilot as a modification, it will give you 5% off your premium

I was told with DL on several occasions that it was part of standard spec so no available discount. However DL seem recently to give different answers to same question so wouldn't surprise me if some do get a discount, but I thought that 3 same answers did give some level of continuity.

Not DL. But when I first rang Churchill the first guy was addiment he couldn't insure with just a VIN and swore blind I'd have to wait for REG. I took his word for it and was waiting until I got Reg. I rang back few hours later because I forgot to ask something (about a quote expiring).
Next two advisor told me of course they can insure with a VIN and that they need to look at "Retraining" people.

Don't take first persons word at face value is what I learned that time :D got it insured on VIN, paid deposit and will just confirm REG to them once I have it! :)