Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dirty sock/mildew scent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sometimes get a dirty sock or sort of a mildew scent when i get in the car which goes away after a minute or two. Seems others experience the same but most associate their issue with the A/C. My car is a 2020 with only 1k miles. Anyone have an idea what it could be and how to get rid of it?

i just ordered the breath easy filters as well as the air intake filters. Is that all i need to make the smell go away or do i need to clean the evaporator? My car only has 1k miles.

You need to clean it as well to prevent the smell from coming back. Just replacing the filters is not enough. I replaced the filters and cleaned everything last August and the smell has not returned since.

Speaking from past experiences with other cars, when the AC is used in recirculate mode, the smell you are describing is common. Try this... after you have completed a drive, deactivate the recirculate mode (put in in fresh mode) while the car is parked. It may take several times for it to eventually clear up. This allows the fresh air valve to be open to the outside air vs, being closed off to only the interior, cabin air.
I try to use fresh air mode when possible while driving to help reduce the occurrences of this happening, depending on the outside air temp, and other factors.

The rumor on many of these threads described by @NOLADriver above is that this capability has been built into the Tesla. A certain amount of time (15 min?) after you get out of the car, the rumor goes, the car runs the fan as you describe to remove the moisture from the coils. If that is true I am not sure how @DB-Cooper is getting the scent again. Perhaps the software update is too new to have been of use to those doing the scentectomy in February.

Reactions: NOLADriver
The rumor on many of these threads described by @NOLADriver above is that this capability has been built into the Tesla. A certain amount of time (15 min?) after you get out of the car, the rumor goes, the car runs the fan as you describe to remove the moisture from the coils. If that is true I am not sure how @DB-Cooper is getting the scent again. Perhaps the software update is too new to have been of use to those doing the scentectomy in February.

I had hoped the software fix would help, but despite me doing my cleanse in February, I basically never ran the A/C until maybe June. I also turn the AC off and recirc off before I park the car (most times). It really is a shame they can't solve this, all of my previous cars which are many have never had this issue. I mean a 12 year old car, maybe, but I've never had a car <6 years old ever have A/C funk smells. That said, if I have to do filters and evap clean it 1-2 times per year, I can live with that. It's less hassle than an annual service as I can do it in 15-20 minutes for $30 in parts/supplies.

9/2018 Model 3 that this year started to have this smell. Had Tesla mobile do a cleaning and new filters a few months ago and haven’t detected the odor since. I also don’t use recirc for long periods of time anymore. Before I would have A/C set and on recirc. I think prolonged recirc may build up cold condensed moisture and bring on the problem sooner. Otherwise Tesla recommends cleaning/filters every 2 years. Last year we had wildfire smoke so sure that helped hasten the need for fresh filters too.

Eight months after DIY condenser cleaning and air filter replacement and the smell has not returned yet. My AC is always on auto at 72-73F and I never adjust the re-circulation or do anything special. The smell first appeared about 14 months into ownership for me, but that was before they pushed the firmware update that kept the fan on after parking.