Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disable Phone Key - any downsides?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any downside to disabling the phone key on the Model S refresh? The car comes with 2 key fobs. I actually find it quite annoying that my car unlocks every time I walk by it in the garage. I'd much rather only use my keyfob to unlock the car. Any downsides that I am missing if I were to unpair my phone?

I agree with you regarding annoyance of door handles extending whenever you walk by car. I tried without, and I believe the Live View Camera no longer functions without phone key setup (if memory serves correctly).

Unless they removed this feature in the refresh, you can disable auto-present door handles if that’s what’s bothering you. Is it the phone key or the fob that is causing the car to unlock?

Since you have a fob, there’s no reason to use a phone key if you don’t want to.

Yes, you can still disable auto-present door handles in the control panel. The car will wake up, however, with either the phone or the key getting within range. I put my key in the house on the way out, and pick it up when needed.