Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disable Sounds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fail to see how the AP engage/disengage sounds could be detrimental to the vehicle’s safety...
without the confirmation sound it would be possible to activate autopilot / NOA and then not know it. If the car then took some action you were not expecting, and there was an accident, there WOULD BE a lawsuit, with someone saying "I didnt know!!!!" People are very good at attempting to shift blame that should be on themselves to "something else" when something bad happens.

Just yesterday, someone at my job told me this story about her experience at her home a couple days ago:

====================

Her husband was at home, outside in the front yard of their home, on their property with their dog. Their dog was on a leash, and the leash was in her husbands hand. She and her husband know that their dog does not get along with their neighbors dog.

Neighbors dog runs out onto her property and proceeds to start trying to attack her dog. Her dog fights back and clamps down on neighbor dog. Husband is trying to pull them apart with the leash.

neighbor runs over, and STABS HER DOG TWICE WITH A KNIFE, in the neck. Blood everywhere, husband in shock, trying to stop the bleeding on their dog (and neighbor still has a knife).

Police called, and neighbor proceeds to say that this is their fault, their dog is too aggressive, their dog attacked first, etc etc. Another neighbor had heard the commotion and (of course) recorded it with a smartphone, so the police and animal control were able to see what actually happened.
====================

If there was no confirmation sound, someone would use that to say " i didnt know, and the car steered by itself!" See that thread with the lady who said the car drove into a building / garage by itself or whatever that was.

I fail to see how the AP engage/disengage sounds could be detrimental to the vehicle’s safety...
Fact that I have to explain it is quite concerning.
Pretty much what @jjrandorin said

What happens if you were on Autopilot cruising and the steering disengaged. In this situation TACC usually stays on so the car would keep going and you’d have 0 idea if the steering is disabled. You can look at the screen of course, but looking there every couple seconds is a huge safety hazard and dangerous (whole reason it’s audible to begin with).

There are many other scenarios, but essentially whenever something happens Tesla will get blamed/sued for it.

Fact that I have to explain it is quite concerning.
Pretty much what @jjrandorin said

What happens if you were on Autopilot cruising and the steering disengaged. In this situation TACC usually stays on so the car would keep going and you’d have 0 idea if the steering is disabled. You can look at the screen of course, but looking there every couple seconds is a huge safety hazard and dangerous (whole reason it’s audible to begin with).

There are many other scenarios, but essentially whenever something happens Tesla will get blamed/sued for it.

Yes, I agree. That’s why I said I fail to see why having the status sounds would be considered a safety issue.

Not having the sounds clearly is a safety issue.

Ok guys, thank you for your concerns about my and others well being.

What if I am keeping my eyes on the road en hands on the wheel at all times, as one should per the instructions by Tesla, but engaging and disengaging autopilot during my drive. Autopilot can handle some situations and some some situations it cannot. When I'm approaching a situation it cannot handle, I disengage the autopilot. Then later, I'm engaging it again. In these situations I'd rather not have the sounds.

So am I not talking about the automatic disengaging of the autopilot, in these situations, I want to hear the sound, for safety reasons. Only manual engaging and disengaging.

Ok guys, thank you for your concerns about my and others well being.

What if I am keeping my eyes on the road en hands on the wheel at all times, as one should per the instructions by Tesla, but engaging and disengaging autopilot during my drive. Autopilot can handle some situations and some some situations it cannot. When I'm approaching a situation it cannot handle, I disengage the autopilot. Then later, I'm engaging it again. In these situations I'd rather not have the sounds.

So am I not talking about the automatic disengaging of the autopilot, in these situations, I want to hear the sound, for safety reasons. Only manual engaging and disengaging.

The reason is the same. The sound is there to let the driver know that AP is "available" or "not available" when you manually engage or disengage AP, initially or during the drive. It is an instant first reminder that AP is functioning or not. Without the sound, the driver must look at the screen to know that AP has been activated/deactivated.

Nuisance for some - A necessary quick confirmation for others.