Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

discharging below 10% or charging above 90% ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I have a question:

I often go a long distance which consumes about 90% of battery capacity ( Model S P90D 2016 - Lithium battery)

What is it better for a battery life:
- charge to 100% ( or almost like 97%) and end a trip at 7-10%
- not exceed 90% and end a trip close to 0%

what damages and stress more the battery:
discharging below 10% or charging above 90% ?

I dono if either is better, but i can tell you I've taken a lot of trips and for the first leg of every one i go to 95-100% before i leave the house and the first SC stop is usually around 7-10% In some trips i could charge to 85% and just stop sooner but i don't feel the need and my pack seems to be in pretty good condition. I also go to 5% at least once a month.

Upvote 0
Charge to 100% but just time it so that you hit 100% as you take off. If you don't leave it at 100% for any length of time, it's way better than possibly running out and needing a tow. Fully charged for very short periods won't make any noticeable difference in degradation even if you did it a 100+ times over it's life.

Upvote 0
As long as you do not leave it at >90% (especially >95%) for many many hours or days, >90% (including 100%) is less harmful than <10% and especially 0% and getting stranded.
PLUS your blood pressure will be better without worry about running out! Enjoy the car.

Upvote 0