Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion of Interstellar Travel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Electroman

Aug 18, 2012
TX
No one is sending any probe let alone humans to any nearby stars. Not in our lifetime or anytime in the future.... ever.

This is one of those things we can say ‘never’ and be comfortable with it.

Basic laws of physics.

No one is sending any probe let alone humans to any nearby stars. Not in our lifetime or anytime in the future.... ever.

Basic laws of physics.
Hmm...limited imagination. Never say “never”. Such statements have been made throughout human history and often been proven wrong. And ask Newton about the “basic laws of physics” and how they will never change. Then ask Einstein. They’ve changed, and they will continue to change was we learn more about the universe.

The point of the new BFS “Starship” name change is to inspire people. Going to Mars is a journey out towards the stars. The new name is not meant to literally say that the vehicle being built right now will take humans to another star.

By the way; the Voyager probe has left our solar system and is headed to the stars.

Michael Wolman @mwolman98
Unless this "starship" is sent on a mission to another star system it can't be called a starship
···········
Elon Musk @elonmusk
Svar til @mwolman98
Later versions will
20:45 - 19. nov. 2018

=============================

Classic Elon. Think big, go long. That’s how lasting change is accomplished.

Small minds with limited imaginations need not apply.​

Reactions: Grendal

Basic laws of physics.
I really hope you are wrong. But I also think you may be right. :)
Hope! Breakthrough Starshot - Wikipedia
Dream! Logic be damned!

Back on topic...

Last edited:

Basic laws of physics.

It is possible with more or less current technology, but it would have to be a generation starship.

And we've already sent a probe to the stars. It'll just take a long time to get there...

I would guess he's not going to name it anything as I don't see interstellar travel being achieved in our lifetimes.
Actually, I think you're correct. However, while I'm pretty skeptical of them, the Singularity people likely would disagree. At a minimum they'd likely postulate a post-human machine being more than capable of traveling to a star, even if it took decades, or even centuries.

It is possible with more or less current technology, but it would have to be a generation starship.

Yeah, sometimes its hard to imagine past what we know.

Today, its theoretically possible to travel to other stars, but its really REALLY impractical to the point of being quite comfortably impossible. Depending on what technology you pick and who does the math, we're pretty much talking a best case of tens of thousands of years to get to to AC or PC.

So, "never"--in the context of today's technology--is quite correct.

What's more interesting to me is imagining feasible technology...and I'm not talking about warping spacetime or anything like that, but concepts that we've actually thought about and that actually [kinda] work out on paper. Consider that we're only 200 years into the industrial revolution and 150 years into science fiction. If the prophetic nature of science fiction to-date is any indication, in a few centuries we're absolutely going to have the technology to easily overtake any kind of early 21st century generational transport to other star systems...so it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to worry about how we could get there today. There's plenty of lessons to be learned within our own solar system; most of which will directly benefit eventual interstellar travel.

Reactions: Electroman
Today, its theoretically possible to travel to other stars, but its really REALLY impractical to the point of being quite comfortably impossible. Depending on what technology you pick and who does the math, we're pretty much talking a best case of tens of thousands of years to get to to AC or PC.

So, "never"--in the context of today's technology--is quite correct.

Fuel cells cars will 'never' be more efficient than pure battery powered EVs. That is not a question of todays technology. It is basic physics.

https://www.quora.com/Will-we-ever-travel-to-other-stars/answer/Chris-Craddock

Fuel cells cars will 'never' be more efficient than pure battery powered EVs. That is not a question of todays technology. It is basic physics.

Agree.

We can also agree that the various proposed methods of future space travel are, as a matter of basic physics, more efficient than chemical propulsion.

So then it’s a matter of how much more efficient and how that affects travel time. There’s an inflection point in there somewhere and we’re definitely not smart enough today to know if that inflection point comes before or after the bookend of human feasibility.