Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion of Starlink Advertising (Twitter) and Product Awareness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
c) people who have serivce that is worse than Starlink and can afford it.

Right. So, again, you think this is a statistically relevant demographic:

—Doesn’t have good terrestrial access
—Doesn’t know about starlink
—Can afford to pay for internet service
—Is on Twitter

Happy to move on here, but it's not at all clear with what you disagree.

Reactions: petit_bateau
Right. So, again, you think this is a statistically relevant demographic:

—Doesn’t have good terrestrial access
—Doesn’t know about starlink
—Can afford to pay for internet service
—Is on Twitter

Happy to move on here, but it's not at all clear with what you disagree.
Tl;dr;
No idea if Twitter is effective for reaching people, but there are people to reach.
Your post I originally disagreed with only had points 1 through 3 in this list, it also did not qualify the excluded group as 'statistically relevant'.
Going up the thread, the conversation was also about Twitter advertising and I missed that added context.

My neighbor has the same low speed DSL I did, can affort Starlink (it's price parity with DSL+land line), and did not know about Starlink. No idea if they Twitter though.

They are also a data point against "People who have crappy internet and want better internet are aware of the alternatives." I'm running the RV version since we are in a waitlist area which make the threshold of knowing about Starlink availability even higher.

People who have crappy internet and want better internet are aware of the alternatives. They’re already paying for satellite or suffering while waiting for better solutions, or both.

It sounds like you aren't aware of the fallacy where old school sat users think all satellite dishes are crap for internet.

Doesn't matter how you get the message to them, but somehow if you do there is a large contingent of old school sat users that need to know about Starlink and would switch if they realized how much better it is.

Reactions: petit_bateau
It sounds like you aren't aware of the fallacy where old school sat users think all satellite dishes are crap for internet.

Doesn't matter how you get the message to them, but somehow if you do there is a large contingent of old school sat users that need to know about Starlink and would switch if they realized how much better it is.
The need for a clear view of the sky, especially to the north, will always limit some folks from using Starlink, unfortunately. I will have to cut some trees that are close to obstructing and will grow into the field of view. It's not as bad as satellite density improves, but you can't do it under a tree canopy.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
…there is a large contingent of old school sat users that need to know about Starlink and would switch if they realized how much better it is.

No, there isn’t. That’s literally the opposite of reality. DTH operators—and not just internet but broadcast level stuff like teevee as well—are in a panic right now because of the overwhelming percentage of their existing customers that are poised to move over to Starlink. They’re seeing regional cancellation rates map extremely well to Starlink service opening up, for instance. SATS and especially DISH are down. Starlink.com hits are not favorable….

And yes (in an attempt to pre-empt another time loop of simpleton pedantry) there obviously are people that fall into the demographic you describe. There just aren’t anywhere near enough of them to make a difference (and near as makes no difference none of them are on Twitter anyway).

[1] People who have crappy internet and want better internet are aware of the alternatives. [2]They’re already paying for satellite or suffering while waiting for better solutions, or both.

[3] The people who don’t know that Starlink exists are the people who a) already have better/cheaper terrestrial service and so don’t have a need to seek out and learn about alternatives or b) can’t afford any service.
1 and 3 are false. Lots of people in the rural US have no option for cable or fiber and simply don’t know about Starlink. Their options are DSL or old sat internet, and maybe if they are lucky fixed wireless or cell phone hotspot. Even 45 miles outside of a major metro area cable may not be available — there are lots of people in this situation.

Outside the US people are likely more ignorant of Starlink as option.

Reactions: Electroman
Anecdotal. 18 homes in my 2 square mile neighborhood on the 1.5 mile long road off pavement. No fiber/cable and only one or two could possibly have line of sight fixed wireless. Cable company will provide services when hell freezes over.

2 of us have Starlink. 4 or 3 more could. The rest cannot due to tree cover. One of the possible candidates is too cheap to pay for it. The other 3 are fine with 1-3 Mbps DSL.

Pretty sure everyone here under 90 knows about it.