Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion of Starlink Advertising (Twitter) and Product Awareness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starlink's capacity is terminals per Earth surface area. There is still a waitlist in many regions (unmet demand). However, Australia just received full coverage and people there are less likely to know about it.

Edit, also:
Elon Musk

@elonmusk

Replying to
@chainsawdotcom
and
@CL207
SpaceX Starlink bought a tiny – not large – ad package to test effectiveness of Twitter advertising in Australia & Spain. Did same for FB/Insta/Google.

5:00 AM · Nov 14, 2022·Twitter for iPhone

Last edited:
Reactions: navguy12
Why is there a need to promote Starlink ?

Have they run into demand problems already?
“Demand problems”? Dude, Starlink isn’t Tesla. Not many people know it exists. Just look at the map on Starlink.com and you‘ll find that there is capacity almost everywhere in the world where the governments have allowed it to operate.

Moreover, Starlink is not a manufacturing company, they are an infrastructure company. They build infrastructure and then must market the crap out of it to attract customers to use that built out infrastructure. Unlike Tesla, they can’t build to order.

“Demand problems”? Dude, Starlink isn’t Tesla. Not many people know it exists. Just look at the map on Starlink.com and you‘ll find that there is capacity almost everywhere in the world where the governments have allowed it to operate.

Moreover, Starlink is not a manufacturing company, they are an infrastructure company. They build infrastructure and then must market the crap out of it to attract customers to use that built out infrastructure. Unlike Tesla, they can’t build to order.
They shouldn't have to market too hard. For those of us for whom the alternatives are a quarter century behind, and who really need it, it is a godsend. Word of mouth is all that's needed to market it.

I wish them the best. I imagine that there is huge potential in Australia.

They shouldn't have to market too hard. For those of us for whom the alternatives are a quarter century behind, and who really need it, it is a godsend. Word of mouth is all that's needed to market it.

Yeah. For the US--which is always going to be by far the biggest revenue generating market for Starlink--any residential user who needs starlink already knows about starlink. And any upmarket user who might benefit from Starlink isn't going to learn about it through Twitter.

Shifting money from SpaceX to Twitter, near as makes no difference, won't make a difference in Starlink take.

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark
Yeah. For the US--which is always going to be by far the biggest revenue generating market for Starlink--any residential user who needs starlink already knows about starlink. And any upmarket user who might benefit from Starlink isn't going to learn about it through Twitter.

Shifting money from SpaceX to Twitter, near as makes no difference, won't make a difference in Starlink take.

I don't think as many people know about Starlink as you might think. I mean, do you know for sure all US rural customers with bad Internet know about it? There are plenty of people who still don't know much about EVs for pete's sake.

I don't think as many people know about Starlink as you might think. I mean, do you know for sure all US rural customers with bad Internet know about it? There are plenty of people who still don't know much about EVs for pete's sake.

People who have crappy internet and want better internet are aware of the alternatives. They’re already paying for satellite or suffering while waiting for better solutions, or both.

The people who don’t know that Starlink exists are the people who a) already have better/cheaper terrestrial service and so don’t have a need to seek out and learn about alternatives or b) can’t afford any service.

• Disagree
You are right, there are probably lots of rural customers who don't know about Starlink. Or they know, and they insist they don't need it, just as they don't want a Smart phone. Still, lots of potential for growth.

But I also agree that it's cost prohibitive for many rural customers. It will take government initiatives and outreach to get a large portion of those people connected. And, no. They aren't on twitter.

People who have crappy internet and want better internet are aware of the alternatives. They’re already paying for satellite or suffering while waiting for better solutions, or both.

The people who don’t know that Starlink exists are the people who a) already have better/cheaper terrestrial service and so don’t have a need to seek out and learn about alternatives or b) can’t afford any service.
Disagree

Based on what logic?

Bad internet service is not a new thing.
Based on first hand data of people who could afford Starlink, who have much worse service than Starlink, and who didn't know about Starlink before I told them.
In other words, option c)

Based on first hand data of people who could afford Starlink, who have much worse service than Starlink, and who didn't know about Starlink before I told them.
In other words, option c)

So what you’re saying is that, in the context of SpaceX advertising on Twitter, there’s a statistically relevant demographic out there that:

—Doesn’t have good terrestrial access
—Doesn’t know about starlink
—Can afford to pay for internet service
—Is on Twitter

• Funny
Reactions: Electroman
So what you’re saying is that, in the context of SpaceX advertising on Twitter, there’s a statistically relevant demographic out there that:

—Is on Twitter
The Xn of the first 3 should be high.. now when you add the 4th condition then it gets a little tricky.

—Is on Twitter
No, Elon is saying that SpaceX is testing to see if the first three conditions apply to users of FB, Instagram, and Twitter. And to see which can target those users the most effectively.

Great, then you agree with me after all! ;)
No?
Only the alternatives when they last checked/ last signed up for service. Those with satellite service are potentially also those suffering...
For your subgroup of thise waiting, how do they become aware if Starlink without advertising?

If your original point was that these people would not be reached by social media, I can't comment on that beyond the data point that cell service allows those message channels while not giving house level connectivity (esp in a river valley).

Which leads to my main disagreement:
Or,
c) people who have serivce that is worse than Starlink and can afford it.

Where I am, DSL with a landline is sub 8 Mbps DL and costs the same as Starlink.

Heck, Starlink is a near ideal provider for a client's mobile industrial application, and they were unaware of it.