Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It is "Clear" That Tesla's Price Hikes Are Thanks to Gas Prices Increasing Demand and Awareness of EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding Tesla's recent price hikes in the US—to what extent are they because of supply constraints or demand increases?

TMC member @Gigapress uses Google search trends, "probably the single best measure of what the populace is actually thinking about," to find this answer for themselves:

0x0-ModelX_01.jpg

(Featured Image Courtesy of Tesla, Inc)

"The chart below is zoomed out to the last five years and it shows “Tesla” interest has very high variance, which means short term spikes are likely not statistically significant anyway, but the long-term trend shows general interest is double what it was in 2017."

AAF915B6-A8BA-4221-9C21-918B8893162B.jpeg

"The big one is this: Unsurprisingly, we see a strong correlation between searches for “gas prices” and “electric cars”. Although gas prices have roughly 20x more interest in general, both search terms tend to follow each other’s relative movements."

116CFAD2-D69B-4A9D-8CCE-C97BAB41BEA5.jpeg

"Relatedly, “how much does it cost to charge an electric car” is at triple the interest in the USA compare to last year’s baseline."

Conclusion -
"The dominant conclusion remains that a LOT of people became curious about electric cars when Mr. Putin decided to send troops across the border and fuel prices surged."

"Twitter, FUD, politics, oil-funded smear campaigns, recession, and a bunch of other things demonstrably do not matter as much as frustration with sending money up in smoke at the pump every week."

Please read their full analysis below:

(TMC Staff Note: This post was taken from the Investor's Roundtable discussion in order to promote it to TMC's Blog feed.)

Last edited:
"Losses"...What he means is that they are raising prices to maintain their insane profit per car. They are reporting record profits per car in the midst of COVID, supply issues, inflation, etc.
Yes, businesses are in business to make a profit. Why are you shocked by this? If the demand is outstripping the supply, prices go up. This is true for any commodity that is in short supply. And Musk himself said that part of the reason for the increases is to DECREASE demand so customers don't have to wait as long.

As a consumer, you always have the choice NOT to buy! If you don't want to wait, or pay the markup, buy something else. I guarantee that Elon won't mind.

"Losses"...What he means is that they are raising prices to maintain their insane profit per car. They are reporting record profits per car in the midst of COVID, supply issues, inflation, etc.
Sorry, but the prices are not "insane". Tesla stated years ago that they wanted a 25% profit margin at LEAST, so they wouldn't fold. They haven't folded, but have improved every aspect of their business. Your concern over having to pay what the car is worth is unfounded, and I'd bet you pay whatever price Costco or Wal Mart charge for their products, without telling you their profit margins. If Tesla had followed your advice and cut profits, they very well might not be in business now.

Reactions: doc333
Easy arbitrage profit is how I’d describe Tesla’s strategy from any and every angle. Securing nickel mine deals isn’t about saving the planet. It’s about taking away the opponents potential to compete, while shoring up the potential to grow.
Btw the three options presented above have terrible tunnel vision.
The more massive profit Elon can make per car and therefore the more surplus cash he has, the quicker he can implement and speed up the "Transition to Sustainable Energy"...(you can't create a massive company, the massive factories and charging infrastructure with your good looks) . If the demand is WAY in excess of what can be supplied at this moment, only a fool would keep prices down. Do you really think that someone with Elon's wealth who lives in a tiny home, gives a flying flip what anyone else thinks his motives are other than "The Grand Plan"? Don't like the prices for his cars?? Don't buy...problem solved

The more massive profit Elon can make per car and therefore the more surplus cash he has, the quicker he can implement and speed up the "Transition to Sustainable Energy"...(you can't create a massive company, the massive factories and charging infrastructure with your good looks) . If the demand is WAY in excess of what can be supplied at this moment, only a fool would keep prices down. Do you really think that someone with Elon's wealth who lives in a tiny home, gives a flying flip what anyone else thinks his motives are other than "The Grand Plan"? Don't like the prices for his cars?? Don't buy...problem solved
You really believe Elon’s “surplus cash” reserves are what’s going to quicken the transition to sustainable energy? That’s the person he needs to be for the Tesla business model. Spacex is all about mars, bc that’s the person he needs to be for spacex. PayPal? Boring Co? Neural link?
Buying Twitter fits right in there? Bc that’s what he’s doing with every bit of spare cash, and he’s borrowing the rest, struggling to borrow the rest I should say. Net worth is one thing, but how someone spends their time and money says a lot more than what they choose to tell us.

I don’t think Elon’s tiny spacex house is his primary living quarters, as he’s been living in a mansion in Austin and flying the private jet to do it. Maybe every other night he’s in the little house. Yawn.

You really believe Elon’s “surplus cash” reserves are what’s going to quicken the transition to sustainable energy? That’s the person he needs to be for the Tesla business model. Spacex is all about mars, bc that’s the person he needs to be for spacex. PayPal? Boring Co? Neural link?
Buying Twitter fits right in there? Bc that’s what he’s doing with every bit of spare cash, and he’s borrowing the rest, struggling to borrow the rest I should say. Net worth is one thing, but how someone spends their time and money says a lot more than what they choose to tell us.

I don’t think Elon’s tiny spacex house is his primary living quarters, as he’s been living in a mansion in Austin and flying the private jet to do it. Maybe every other night he’s in the little house. Yawn.
More cash means more ability to invest in production capacity. It means the ability to buy their own battery and solar panel supply to build out their budding electric utility ambitions. It means risk reduction in case of an extended economic depression. It means being able to fund the early years of robotaxi fleet buildout if and when the technology is ready. It means demonstrating to suppliers and mining companies that Tesla has credibility and financial means to be worth increased investment in supplying parts and raw materials to them in the future. It means demonstrating to the whole world that the transition can have beneficial economics instead of crashing the world economy, which in turn encourages favorable public policy, kids wanting to enter the field, academic research, and overall investment.

Cash obviously matters a lot. It’s not Elon’s cash; it’s Tesla’s cash.

You're conflating the company's cash reserves with Elon's personal net worth, which is in company stock, not cash. Cash reserves allow the company to weather storms and not be reliant on financing.

Ok, less profit per car is the way to go…. Got it… Nice business plan you got

I don't know that it is so clear, but so what if it is? Energy costs are part of manufacturing and distribution, and when they go up, so do the prices of the goods. (Many have been clamoring for high gas prices for a long time.....)

You're conflating the company's cash reserves with Elon's personal net worth, which is in company stock, not cash. Cash reserves allow the company to weather storms and not be reliant on financing.
It gets confusing when we refer to Tesla by saying “Elon”. Never go full Elon.
I see what you’re saying now, obviously.
It’s a not-so-beautiful situation for consumers, but for the few at the top, yes, let’s celebrate.