Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Powerwall 3 [Speculation / Discussion etc]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now I'm really torn...might have to go with Powerwall+/2 over waiting for Powerwall 3. I have a feeling installs aren't really gunna happen until at least April 2024 and even then probably going to be a limited supply. So realistically could be almost a year from today.

If I can get my order installed by 12/31 (in this tax year) might just have to roll with it...$1,500 total rebate on the 3 Powerwalls I ordered also...

Reactions: Matt-FL
Now I'm really torn...might have to go with Powerwall+/2 over waiting for Powerwall 3. I have a feeling installs aren't really gunna happen until at least April 2024 and even then probably going to be a limited supply. So realistically could be almost a year from today.

If I can get my order installed by 12/31 (in this tax year) might just have to roll with it...$1,500 total rebate on the 3 Powerwalls I ordered also...

I’m in a similar situation as you….more inclined to proceed now as I expect the PW3 to be priced much higher. Also, given Tesla’s past history which product releases, “April 2024” might very well mean “December 2024” for mass availability. Who knows what our local utility might be doing by the time: net metering might be gone!

The PW+ allowed paralleling MPPTs to increase current. It had 4 inputs of 13A which could be jumpered to make two inputs of 26A (or 13,13, and 26). The PW3 (PW++) likely has the same setup.
The 13A is a limitation on the DC input side. I had read somewhere that PW+ will have 6 MPPT, likely with an option for 3 parallel strings at 26A max.

Theoretically, it could operate at 7.15 kW per channel on the DC side with 550VDC @13A

Reactions: mongo
I’m in a similar situation as you….more inclined to proceed now as I expect the PW3 to be priced much higher. Also, given Tesla’s past history which product releases, “April 2024” might very well mean “December 2024” for mass availability. Who knows what our local utility might be doing by the time: net metering might be gone!
Exactly - that's why I said it could be a year from now before you're actually able to get it installed at your house. The way I'm starting to look at it is I'm getting $500 off each Powerwall with the rebate, so PW3 would have to be priced significantly lower before you really felt you missed out. I want the LFP battery the most, but I'm not sure if the wait is gunna be worth it with so many unknowns on pricing and availability.

Plus as we've seen with the Model 3 Highland, everyone was expecting it to be priced so much cheaper than the current Model 3 due to all the cost savings Tesla achieved. But in reality it was priced a little higher due to demand and to increase Tesla's margin.

I'm also getting 3 Powerwalls, so the increase in power doesn't matter for me as 3 Powerwalls can run everything in my house no problem including a 5 ton heat pump with a 153 LRA. I think this new PW3 is more about having a single Powerwall be able to back up most of your house, based on the specs and Elon's comments vs. any real improvement over PW2 (other than LFP cells of course).

Fun fact - since PW3 is 2" thicker than PW2, the actual volume of space displaced is more than PW2 even though PW3 appears smaller (narrower width).

Last edited:
What size is the solar inverter in the PW3? It seems to depend on the PV voltage? My PV array operates at 240 V so does that mean the max I’ll get is 240 x 13 = 3.1 kW? That would be disappointing.

I dont think it matters much what your existing PV system is, in relation to a PW3 since Tesla specifically (and clearly) is calling out that PW3 is only for new solar + battery installs.

Screen Shot 2023-09-13 at 9.41.44 AM.png

I wonder what the limitation is with other solar inverters? Does the PW3 not have the ability to turn off other solar by shifting the frequency?
I am definitely deferring to you on this, but it appears to me that the PW3 is an integrated solar inverter + battery storage system. I dont know this for a fact, but it seems to me that it would be unusual to daisy chain solar inverters together (connect one solar inverter to another one).

The limitation is likely that for PW2 or PW+ the solar inverter is a separate piece, where PW3 it seems like its integrated / integral to the unit. Ill be curious to here what your thoughts are when you get more info on it that you are able to share.

Reactions: RabidYak
I am definitely deferring to you on this, but it appears to me that the PW3 is an integrated solar inverter + battery storage system. I dont know this for a fact, but it seems to me that it would be unusual to daisy chain solar inverters together (connect one solar inverter to another one).

The limitation is likely that for PW2 or PW+ the solar inverter is a separate piece, where PW3 it seems like its integrated / integral to the unit. Ill be curious to here what your thoughts are when you get more info on it that you are able to share.
The Powerwall+ I am pretty sure can currently work with 3rd party inverters, so this isn't a technical limitation based on inverter count. Both PW+ and PW3 have 2 discrete inverters, whether they are in 1 or 2 boxes. There is clearly something I do not understand here.

Apparently a typo for the rebate, which they have since removed from the website:

View attachment 973602
Based on your signature it looks like you're doing a totally new Tesla installation. Not getting the rebate is certainly a disappointment, sorry to hear that.

I'm wondering if someone who is just adding PWs to an existing system might move along more quickly and still qualify for the rebate. If anyone is in that situation please let us know about your progress.

Reactions: Jeremy3292