Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disney+ Removal Exemplifies a growing problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The story of Elon Musk is indeed complex, with his innovative ventures in electric vehicles, space exploration, and internet technology contrasting sharply with the controversies surrounding his acquisition of X/Twitter.

His actions and public statements, often perceived as impulsive or controversial, have polarized opinions. Many once ardent supporters now grapple with mixed feelings, reflecting on how a figure once seen as a visionary can also engage in behavior that undercuts his accomplishments.

My experience as a repeat Tesla owner encapsulates this shift in perception, highlighting the dilemma of reconciling Musk’s groundbreaking contributions with his contentious public persona.

Clearly, this forum is filled with people from many backgrounds and likely reflects the highly polarized politics of our world today. However, if I were to jump in, I would say that as a TSLA shareholder, I am generally pleased with the recent performance of the stock. BUT, it does not make any sense for the primary spokesman for a public brand to potentially alienate 50% of potential customers. I even question if changing Tesla features in furtherance X battles, constitutes a breach of fiduciary responsibility. He is welcome to think and speak as he likes, but not to cost me money to settle petty grievances, related to his own personal playthings.

Reactions: dsm363 and Sporty
As someone who doesn't own Tesla stock or plan to, I think it's just embarrassing to be represented by a manchild. Too bad the cars are still some of the better EVs out there.
And yet I’ve made so much money on $TSLA! Happy to continue to reap those rewards. You’re entitled to your view, of course. My view is Musk has been ahead of his time, revolutionized 3 industries, and has shown quite a lot of courage when I’m sure it would have been easier to toe the line and conform.

More importantly issues in one privately held company should cannot affect another publicly held company. If this is a governance issue then the Tesla Board needs to have the guts to discuss this with Elon which i doubt they will as they are happy with the gains they have got from the stock grants.

Reactions: Sporty and terranx
More importantly issues in one privately held company should cannot affect another publicly held company. If this is a governance issue then the Tesla Board needs to have the guts to discuss this with Elon which i doubt they will as they are happy with the gains they have got from the stock grants.
Completely agree...the blurred lines with X apparently using some Tesla engineers even if they paid for them....this whole thing with Disney+ is completely inappropriate. I don't care what your personal beef is with another CEO, especially when it stems from your own personal company, there is absolutely no way in hell this should spill into Tesla...

I was thrilled when I heard Disney+ was removed. Thirty years from now, if we still exist as a functioning country, in my opinion, it will be widely recognized that Disney was part of the poison that destroyed our society to the core. From firing thousands of American workers, hiring H1b replacements and effectively forcing them to train these replacements, while at the same time complaining to our government that they can't find enough American workers and requesting more H1b workers. To both covertly and openly pushing a religion of paganism that ultimately harm the very clients they pretend to cater too, that if you were to look at any amount of history, will show the downfall of that society. Subscribing to Disney, is like storing cans of gasoline next to a box of matches in every room in your house while "hoping" your kids will never try to light one of the matches. Removing the Disney app from any device you have is making the environment for your kids one step safer for them and for you.

I was thrilled when I heard Disney+ was removed. Thirty years from now, if we still exist as a functioning country, in my opinion, it will be widely recognized that Disney was part of the poison that destroyed our society to the core. From firing thousands of American workers, hiring H1b replacements and effectively forcing them to train these replacements, while at the same time complaining to our government that they can't find enough American workers and requesting more H1b workers. To both covertly and openly pushing a religion of paganism that ultimately harm the very clients they pretend to cater too, that if you were to look at any amount of history, will show the downfall of that society. Subscribing to Disney, is like storing cans of gasoline next to a box of matches in every room in your house while "hoping" your kids will never try to light one of the matches. Removing the Disney app from any device you have is making the environment for your kids one step safer for them and for you.
You forgot "promoting the idea that the best thing that can happen to a girl is to marry the son of a wealthy autocrat".

Isn’t this what Musk has done at Twatter? Only H1B workers remain?

Reactions: terranx
While I don't particularly care about this move (even if it really meant full removal of Disney+, which it apparently doesn't), given I don't use it at all, I can see there is a real possibility of this happening to apps I do care about (for example YouTube or the Google maps based overlay).

Basically it's a valid point that app functionality shouldn't be removed for such petty reasons that have nothing to do with Tesla. It's doesn't really hurt Disney+ anyways: people that want that content will find other ways to consume it. Rather it hurts Tesla customers and Tesla. Now people will begin to question if they want to continue to buy Tesla if features are removed on a whim for no good reason (note there are legit licensing or software compatibility reasons that may justify removing certain features, but this is clearly not the case).

Reactions: dsm363 and Sporty
Unfortunately, pretty much every thread about "elon" here ends up like **this, which is why almost all of them have been closed, and people try to side load discuss it like in this thread.

**This = sniping, personal attacks, etc.

Sure, I criticized Musk, but the point and topic of the thread is the growing risk his leadership is bringing to the company and to customers and is exemplified by the “removal” of the Disney+ app.

The idea of removing/hiding apps from the infotainment center based on Musk’s external, personal beefs is the problem and what is open for discussion.

Whether or not one uses or cares about the Disney+ app, specifically, is not the point. Everything from driving dynamics to entertainment to general controls has the potential to be changed on a whim if Musk decides it so. The potential for this to happen is significantly higher with a Tesla with Musk leading the way compared to nearly every other vehicle brand. That’s bad for customers and a risk for Tesla as it’s bad optics on how the company operates.

Reactions: dsm363
Sure, I criticized Musk, but the point and topic of the thread is the growing risk his leadership is bringing to the company and to customers and is exemplified by the “removal” of the Disney+ app.

The idea of removing/hiding apps from the infotainment center based on Musk’s external, personal beefs is the problem and what is open for discussion.

Whether or not one uses or cares about the Disney+ app, specifically, is not the point. Everything from driving dynamics to entertainment to general controls has the potential to be changed on a whim if Musk decides it so. The potential for this to happen is significantly higher with a Tesla with Musk leading the way compared to nearly every other vehicle brand. That’s bad for customers and a risk for Tesla as it’s bad optics on how the company operates.

I said in my first post in this thread:

This OPs thread is only tangentially about Disney+. The main discussion seems to be an attempt to spin up another "Elon" discussion thread.
What you posted above not only doesnt refute that, but confirms it.

I said in my first post in this thread:

What you posted above not only doesnt refute that, but confirms it.

I didn’t quote your other post. I quoted the one about threads being closed that criticize Musk.

This thread is about the software in our vehicles and Musk’s affect on it as CEO. Musk is directly related to this topic. This is a discussion around the direct tie of his erratic behavior to how it affects the company and its customers. Hard not to bring him up in its regard.

I didn’t quote your other post. I quoted the one about threads being closed that criticize Musk.

This thread is about the software in our vehicles and Musk’s affect on it as CEO. Musk is directly related to this topic. This is a discussion around the direct tie of his erratic behavior to how it affects the company and its customers. Hard not to bring him up in its regard.
Funny you're still banging this drum. As has been pointed out, the software wasn't removed. I've updated my car too, and I've never used that software once, but the icon is still there even today. So I guess since this idea fits the narrative in your mind you want to believe about Musk, you'll keep repeating the lie anyway. Sad. Reminds me of another on this board.

Reactions: buddhafree