Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Mechanical Advice - Steering Rack Replacement??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the risk of driving a Tesla beyond warranty has finally become a reality. Service center confirmed my assessment that the steering assist motor has died. For those that have ventured into Tesla repair any advice on why I should or shouldn't replace the steering rack myself? Doesn't look very challenging mechanically, have done a lot of work on ICE vehicles and almost all of those jobs much less accessible than the steering rack on a RWD MS, but perhaps there are challenges I'm unaware of? Beyond just dropping the new one in is there a software component to get the car to recognize and accept a new part for example? I'm ready for fun quarantine project but don't want to get half-way through and regret that choice.
2014 P85

What does Tesla Service Center say?
Well I got a text confirming the steering motor is dead after service center closed so I'll talk to them in the morning but they quoted replacing the entire steering rack for about $4000, Tesla doesn't replace individual rack components as its not a Tesla made assembly. My guess is they won't "recommend" doing it myself but perhaps I can get some specific tips or warnings from them. Its not like I'll be voiding any warranty, only drive motor and battery pack is covered at this point. If I can save $3500 and have some fun in the process I'm game.

Well I got a text confirming the steering motor is dead after service center closed so I'll talk to them in the morning but they quoted replacing the entire steering rack for about $4000, Tesla doesn't replace individual rack components as its not a Tesla made assembly. My guess is they won't "recommend" doing it myself but perhaps I can get some specific tips or warnings from them. Its not like I'll be voiding any warranty, only drive motor and battery pack is covered at this point. If I can save $3500 and have some fun in the process I'm game.
Bosch part.
Call Rich Rebuilds? or EV West?
good luck

Wish I had specific experience to offer, but I’d be seriously looking at getting a used rack off eBay for $300ish and just moving the motor over. It sits right on top. It may not be feasible without pulling the rack, but I’d want to take a long hard look at that...

some good info here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10153425-9999.pdf

I was considering exactly that whether I get the motor on its own or just take it off a full rack. I took the frunk tub out already to assess the situation and think the whole rack would come out easy enough but the motor would be super easy and would save me from messing with the tie rod ends and getting an alignment done. The controller is part of the motor, only one other electrical sensor on the steering column that could possibly be bad and service center may be able to confirm that is fully ruled out. I think the only other question is whether the car will "accept" the new part without additional programming or firmware upgrades, hopefully they will divulge that as well.
Thanks for the link! I had seen some other documentation around the aluminum bolt replacement and rack replacement steps but that one is way more detailed.

Some interesting pictures and a useful nugget of information - this said mentions Tesla quoted one hour labor to replace the whole rack, plus another hour to cover the alignment. That’s a pretty quick job... RWD might be easier than AWD. Don’t know...

Power Steering falling apart

I think that thread is where I saw an important tip about prying a bit on motor to tension belt before tightening bolts.
Yes RWD doesn't have the front drive motor in the way. And if a trained Tesla tech can do it in an hour I'm hopeful by the end of a six-pack I could be pretty darn close.

I think that thread is where I saw an important tip about prying a bit on motor to tension belt before tightening bolts.
Yes RWD doesn't have the front drive motor in the way. And if a trained Tesla tech can do it in an hour I'm hopeful by the end of a six-pack I could be pretty darn close.

Good luck. That’s encouraging. Some of those people completely removed the motor to clean up threads and such. Glad you noticed the talk about tensioning the little belt. it’s buried.. post 11x.