Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Tesla Model 3 Driver Console / Instrument Cluster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you guys think?
20210622_074405.jpg

20210622_074338.jpg

3D printed shell out of nylon/carbon fiber.
Electronics is an ESP32 driving 5 OLEDs.
I am just starting on the software.

Right now, it is just a series of OLED screens with the embedded microcontroller to receive and display the data. You can program it to display anything you want assuming 1) you can fit that data on these screens, and 2) you can extract that information from the car's CAN Bus.

My plan is to display the essential information like gear, speed, speed limit, cruise setting, time, and battery status on a normal everyday commute. Side markers will be used for blind spot warning.

Once the car is in navigation mode, one screen will switch to showing navigation directions with arrows and lane markings, one will show distance to next turn and street name, and one will show distance traveled, time, and distance to destination.

When navigating in a new place, I like those information right in front of me rather than searching for it on the center screen.

You could also add a diagnostic mode or a track mode.

20210623_100610.jpg

This is a rather simple and inexpensive project if anyone wants build one for themselves. Essentially, it consists of an ESP32, a mutiplexer, and five screens. I added buttons to manage settings and display modes.

20210623_100634.jpg

For me, now comes the difficult part of pulling information from the CAN bus.
I'm still experimenting and trying to decide between direct USB, bluetooth, and wifi.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and Jejunjm
Looks good as a prototype. I hate the current Blindspot monitoring and wish Elon would at least implement the cameras as promised (two weeks!). Can I suggest trying to unify the design language. While more expensive how about a single lcd panel. You can (potentially, not an expert) keep the curves of the sheel and just alter the resolution.

Thanks, it was printed on a Markforged printer with Onyx (carbon fiber and nylon mix). The finish is a satin dark gray which I think looks better in person than in pictures.

Really tremendous -- definitely next-level stuff compared to my cheap-o Flashforge in the basement. I think a spool of Onyx filament probably costs more than my entire printer! haha. Your print stood out immediately as something special! Even the ABS version looks good --- but nowhere near as good as the Onyx print. :) Congrats!

Looks good as a prototype. I hate the current Blindspot monitoring and wish Elon would at least implement the cameras as promised (two weeks!). Can I suggest trying to unify the design language. While more expensive how about a single lcd panel. You can (potentially, not an expert) keep the curves of the sheel and just alter the resolution.

The problem is sourcing a narrow wide OLED screen that can fit the form factor I want. I like the design to remain small enough to not block the vents, but big enough to relay all the information I need.

This is second version combining the two center OLEDs into a single larger LCD.
20210628_090258.jpg
20210628_090752.jpeg

i've been trying to design something similar, except i want to put either the hanshow product or a carplay tablet inside the housing. i've been thinking of also wrapping it with alcantera or some kind of vinyl to make it match the car better and cover the 3d printed texture.

This looks like a great project! I'm looking at the TopFit/XMGE display and was directed here by @Transformer.

It does strike me that an idea you could borrow from that one is to make your housing as a replacement for the top shell of the steering column housing, the same way that unit installs. This would put it a bit closer (forward), and with its streamlined shape it would block less airflow than either one. Also I'm thinking it would leave the look of the dash more intact as it'sthe shell isn't mounted right over it anymore.

Regarding display screens, what about 2 or 3 smartphone touchscreens arrayed in landscape orientation? Similar to your second version with the large center, but with one landscape screen each side?

@chojn1 is it feasible to add some tactile controls (not sure where to mount them) and feed their control signals to the car?

E.g. +/- fan speed, +/- temperature, recirculate on/off, +/- zoom the map?
There are 4 buttons on the console currently. I am using two for settings (brightness, display modes, etc.). You could use the other two to control some car functions, but I am weary of injecting data into the car's CAN bus. It now in the read only mode.

Reactions: Transformer