Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Tesla Model 3 Driver Console / Instrument Cluster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Version 3:

20210713_112148.jpg

20210714_160711.jpg

Reactions: rBajwa
Hello I like this project. The whole device looks good and solid. The information you want to provide is exactly what I think should be there. I can't help for the hardware bit if you need help for the software I can provide some help. I'm a software engineer working for air traffic control. So with serious background. Let me know if you are interested.
Bpiv

Reactions: chojn1
Hello I like this project. The whole device looks good and solid. The information you want to provide is exactly what I think should be there. I can't help for the hardware bit if you need help for the software I can provide some help. I'm a software engineer working for air traffic control. So with serious background. Let me know if you are interested.
Bpiv
Hi Bpiv,

Thanks for the help. The hardware is pretty much finished. I do need a lot of help on the software side though. On the version 3, I have 2 LCDs:

Controlling them is a single ESP32 on a SPI bus. I found that this is much faster and much easier to program than the previous version with 6 OLED screens on the i2c bus.

On the car side I have 2 ESP32 each reading a CAN bus. I have not yet connected those with the display ESP32. That is the next order of business.

Let me know if you are interested, I'll send you a copy of the STL files for the 3D prints.

CJ

Hello CJ,
I agree that it will be more easy programming the LCD via ESP32. There will be the data reading via the 2 ESP32 and displayed on the LCDs through the SPI bus. I am interested to support you. How do we proceed to communicate?
BP

Reactions: chojn1
I've been playing with pretty cheap and easy to find non-oled displays that are spi. here's a short vid-cap of the lower-end esp8266 driving it in demo mode.

its the st7735 and one example on amazon is: Amazon.com: HiLetgo 1.8" inch ST7735R SPI 128160 TFT LCD Display Module with PCB: Office Products

they are small enough that you can fit at least 2 in that shell (maybe more), they are common as can be (good thing, I think) and they are color, not oled (no burn in) and pretty fast when directly driven.

comments?

its good timing, maybe, as I'm finishing up a convenience library for the ESP8266 (eventually for esp32 but I have tons of wemos d1 minis and they are the new jellybean, it seems).

if anyone wants to have an early review snapshot of my wifi api, let me know. its goal is to reduce the work on the apps devel when they need basic ip services for the ESP chips. to me, basic services are: wifi-manager (portal mode, so you can reconfig its wifi parms), NTP, http, mdns, OTA and maybe some other things I forgot. it gets you up and running with basic IP and webserver, keeps NTP up to date and keeps an OTA thread running so you can update it via usual wifi/esptool.

I kind of like the idea of things being on the network and each node doing a simple thing, with a controller sending messages to the slaves, with all of them being on the network and all of them being OTA updatable.

I found that websockets actually work pretty well if fast streams need to be sent between cooperating nodes.

one thing I dont like is that putting so many 2.4ghz's so close to each other is just not good practice. but this is DIY, I never heard of FCC before (what's that?) and well, .... ;)

is that too complex for folks? I admit its distributed, but its easy to run out of speed on small chips like this and so I plan ahead so that if more nodes need to be added, they can, and the message passing stuff will still work.

also, what do you guys think about other display elements?

I've been buying up samples of red 7seg LED displays using the MAX and TMS chip drivers. so its either 2 wire or 3 wire to drive an array of 7seg numeric displays. they display BRIGHT and they update FAST and need very little code to drive them.

if there is a tasteful place and need for some numeric outputs, we might think about adding some of the led displays.

again, I like that they are easy to get (no chip shortage on these), bright, different colors, minimal code and no latency to speak of.

Thanks for the help. The hardware is pretty much finished. I do need a lot of help on the software side though. On the version 3, I have 2 LCDs:

Controlling them is a single ESP32 on a SPI bus. I found that this is much faster and much easier to program than the previous version with 6 OLED screens on the i2c bus.

On the car side I have 2 ESP32 each reading a CAN bus. I have not yet connected those with the display ESP32. That is the next order of business.

Let me know if you are interested, I'll send you a copy of the STL files for the 3D prints.

CJ
sorry to resurrect this, do you still happen to have the STL/3D handy? Interested in modifying the design. TIA!