Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DNS issues with supercharge.info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cannot access supercharge.info from Comcast due to a DNS error.

upload_2019-2-21_8-40-59.png

@BlueShift

Looks like you can still get there directly (ignore browser warnings): https://45.79.141.163/changes

Actually when Firefox gives me warnings like that, I don't ignore them, and neither should you. Please don't use that link.

Your connection is not secure

The owner of 45.79.141.163 has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

My advice was not to blindly ignore browser warnings, but rather, in this case if you want to get to supercharge.info, that's the way to do it until the DNS problem is resolved.

edit: You can use this link to verify the IP address given is correct: https://bgp.he.net/dns/supercharge.info#_ipinfo

For something like supercharge.info, what information could be 'stolen'?

Sure, if it's a banking website or any website that has any personal identifiable information, I'd agree with you. But in this case, there's really nothing at risk of being stolen besides your email address -- IF you have an account and IF you login. Otherwise, just visiting the site for information doesn't put any information at risk.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Chuq and Rocky_H
Actually when Firefox gives me warnings like that, I don't ignore them, and neither should you. Please don't use that link.

Your connection is not secure

The owner of 45.79.141.163 has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

I can access supercharge.info via DNS.
When I perform an nslookup it returns the address 45.79.141.163. The address given was the correct one.

The error is _expected_ because the certificate is associated with the name (supercharge.info), not the IP address.

To be cautious about the security:
- Try the name first
- If the name doesn't work, use the IP address, but when allowing the exception make sure to uncheck "Permanently store this exception".
- When using the IP address don't log into the site.

Pro tip: when ISP DNSes are down, having the address of an alternative is handy. Google has a DNSes at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.