Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do 2021 MY'S have the same crappy hitch cover?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found this on Amazon. Looks like a good solution... I'm gonna give it a try and report back.

Model Y Hitch Cover
So this piece is hands down THE BEST accessory that I have purchased for my car. It is extremely well designed and is super high quality. Absolutely looks OEM and fits like a glove. Why couldn’t the geniuses at Tesla have come up with something similar?

Reactions: KurtSanders
So this piece is hands down THE BEST accessory that I have purchased for my car. It is extremely well designed and is super high quality. Absolutely looks OEM and fits like a glove. Why couldn’t the geniuses at Tesla have come up with something similar?
I have a hard time getting mine off. Tugging through the hole won’t budge it. I have to bend the plastic at the side and reach through to push down the metal pins to remove it. Am I weak or am I doing something very wrong?

I have a hard time getting mine off. Tugging through the hole won’t budge it. I have to bend the plastic at the side and reach through to push down the metal pins to remove it. Am I weak or am I doing something very wrong?
I had trouble at first but now I seem to have the knack. I did try bending the arm on the spring a bit but it's pretty stiff so if I did, it was very minor. I can't see any bend. I just went out to try it. Yeah it requires a decent pull but came out fairly easily. I used my middle finger (perhaps metaphorical message to elon for the design). I hook it in around 10:30/11:00 then kind jerk/pull.

The other thing I did which doesn't affect removal is to drill two holes in the bottom of the insert part. I was concerned about water getting in and sitting in the receiver. I've probably inserted / removed mine 15-20 times now so I can easily see where the front of the receiver meets the cover. I drilled the holes at an angle. One hole slanted towards the front and one towards the back so any water can drain. Maybe not necessary but it doesn't hurt anything either.

Someone else mentioned a plug cover but I haven't find one yet that is a nice rubber one that I can easily insert/remove

Just received our Mode Y and had to go try this out after reading all the comments.

I happen to have a trim removal kit and it was super easy to remove the cover. I started in the top right corner and pryed it at four points along the top and that was enough to espouse the sides and gently pull the bottom clips loose. First time and it was quick and easy. Thought I would need to order the Amazon cover but no desire at this point.

I do have revision C but to my eyes it looks like rev A in the video. Anyways, glad it was easy and that I won’t have to worry about it.

7E7F9A6F-C641-4FD0-8806-8E2237F0D637.jpeg

Knowing what I know now, I'd buy the one from Amazon again. Needs no tools. Comes off with a sharp pull with one finger. Looks fine unless like some have posted you object to the round hole. I don't unless water were to become an issue. Easy enough without tools that I now take it on or off as I want. That was not the case before. I guess I'll keep the virgin replacement OEM one I bought for when I get rid of the car as I'm too lazy to sell it for a couple bucks.

Because they didn't want a hole in it?
They could have easily done a design without a hole. For example; where that hole is is a flexible rubber. When you push the rubber it works like a ball point pen, pushing, retracting. Only in this case it seats/retracts a pin through the hitch pin hole.

Or, take the design with the hole and put a spring loaded cover that you push in to get access in order to pull it off like it currently works.

Or, a bottom hinge that allows you to remove the cover when down and a simple latch at the top that you could push/pull.

Those seem very workable to me. And much better than the crap the Tesla engineers came up with. But that amazon one with the hole is one of several designs. A number of DIY solutions have shown up here that look pretty viable.