Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do any states restrict servicing of Teslas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

azred

Apr 12, 2016
Chandler, AZ
There is a thread about delivering and servicing Teslas and of course that thread includes comments about sales/delivery restrictions in many states. What is unclear to me is whether any state blocks pure service centers that have no sales/delivery functions. Here in AZ, the Tempe location opened only two years ago but as of a few months ago only services cars because they got push back from somewhere in AZ government when they were providing new buyer information, test drives and delivery as well as service. (Tesla was able to get a tenuous toehold in AZ based on a positive judicial ruling related to Scottsdale, so Tesla responded to the recent Tempe pushback by opening a second Scottsdale delivery/test drive location and closing the non-service functions in Tempe.)

I can’t imagine that any state’s laws would block service-only facilities but perhaps I am wrong? Obviously this is a huge concern as Tesla expands its sales exponentially via Model 3.

BTW the gyrations in AZ provide further evidence why most of us have such a low opinion of our lawmakers. Everything is for sale in the Arizona Capitol.

Last edited:
I should have included ranger availability in my original post. Do Tesla rangers exist in states like Michigan and New Mexico? Even though we have two service centers in metro Phoenix, I try to use ranger service and that seems to be Tesla’s preference anyway. Of course some major repairs may require a service center visit.

Last edited:
I should have included ranger availability in my original post. Do Tesla rangers exist in states like Michigan and New Mexico? Even though we have two service centers in metro Phoenix, I try to use ranger service and that seems to be Tesla’s preference anyway. Of course some major repairs may require a service center visit.

I have read on this site that there is a ranger in Michigan.

Current States _with_ Service Centers:

Code:
AZ CA CO CT FL
GA HI IL IN MA
MD MN MO NC NJ
NV NY OH OR PA
TN TX UT VA WA

Listed as Coming Soon:
Code:
LA NE OK

MI: Tesla lists a site as coming soon, but there's a lawsuit.

Other states without Service Centers:

Code:
AK AL AR DE IA
ID KS KY
ME: Looking at Title 29-A Chapter 9, which covers Dealers, it appears that Tesla could have a dealership, and there doesn't appear to be anything getting in the way of servicing cars.
Code:
MS MT ND NM NH
RI SC SD VT WI
WV WY

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and Tam