Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do car thieves tend to ignore Teslas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
… EXCEPT, I've read one can start the car via the app, overriding pin-to-drive. That's a new 'feature' added in the app which basically effs me over if I get a car thief who actually knows teslas. It also feels like it makes the car less secure.

Is your Tesla account or phone that easy to get into? I think they have to have get into one or the other to use this feature.

Reactions: DrDiesel1
Is your Tesla account or phone that easy to get into? I think they have to have get into one or the other to use this feature.
If you go back to my original post you'll see that I have a tendency of leaving my black phone on the black charging pad and walking away from the car (and not noting the lack of horn beep to tell me the car is locked.) ADD is a curse.

The first time I did this, my mental thought process was, "at least they'll only get my phone, not my brand new car."

Then one time my bluetooth phone-key wasn't working either to get into the car or start it. It was demanding my key card which was in the back seat and it was raining hard so I didn't want to get out to retrieve my wallet. Since the app was open after using it to get into the car, I just used the phone app to start the car and realized it didn't ask for my PIN. That realization showed my thought that Pin to Drive would protect my car if I've left my phone in it was flawed.

So, the immediate security flaw is my fault for leaving the phone in the car (and not using biometrics to lock my phone.)

But all accounts are vulnerable to a hack so there's a minute, but not inconceivable, risk that someone could clone my phone apps actions after breaking into my tesla account. I don't bother worrying about that because I hate my tesla and if it was stolen it would solve my issue of having to wait 3 more years before getting something else. At the other end of the spectrum, as tempting as it would be, I don't intentionally leave an unlocked phone in the car with detailed instructions for thieves on how to overcome my pin-to-drive although, now that I'm writing this out, I'm wondering if I'd get caught. Too bad teslas are so low on the thieves preferred vehicles to steal list!

No sir. My Teslas show their location when parked and in "Park." Honest.

Rich
That's because you drove the car there. The difference is the location is not updated if the car is not put into drive and the wheels were not moving. So if your car was towed by a flatbed or with wheels on a dolly (as per Tesla requirements) the location is NOT updated (it only shows the last known location). Plenty of accounts of this happening. Something to keep in mind.

That's crazy. Your friend must be very upset! Was it recovered or is it gone for good?

I haven't been in a situation yet where I've had no choice but to hand over my key card to a parking attendant/valet. In general, I try to avoid them at all costs since I have car trust issues.
Read the OPs entire first post...

to put it into perspective; a Tesla will still be susceptible to smash and grab. other than that there's no real reason for stealing a Tesla. Tesla relies heavily on the network connection. Tesla can easily just blacklist your VIN from updates and SuperCharger access (which they already do if you do not get the car re-certified by Tesla after a major accident). So you'll be stuck with only 3rd party chargers or at home. Again no updates, so you won't be able to use FSD ever or any of the other stuff that Tesla offers. Now, another debate would be for parts, I guess one could scrap it for parts but the only major value is going to the battery and motors. All other interior items are essentially the same.

Now for any other brand that are highly sought after jsut goes over seas in a container.

to put it into perspective; a Tesla will still be susceptible to smash and grab. other than that there's no real reason for stealing a Tesla. Tesla relies heavily on the network connection. Tesla can easily just blacklist your VIN from updates and SuperCharger access (which they already do if you do not get the car re-certified by Tesla after a major accident). So you'll be stuck with only 3rd party chargers or at home. Again no updates, so you won't be able to use FSD ever or any of the other stuff that Tesla offers. Now, another debate would be for parts, I guess one could scrap it for parts but the only major value is going to the battery and motors. All other interior items are essentially the same.

Now for any other brand that are highly sought after jsut goes over seas in a container.
I believe it's more profitable to sell the parts from stolen cars than it is to sell the entire working car, so perhaps thieves are less interested in charging or any kind of operation. The challenge is in getting away with the theft without being discovered, and that's where Teslas excel.