Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do FWDs work fine next to wall at an angle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife n I park our cars in the garage at an angle for easy entry n exit and to avoid hitting the side mirrors on the garage door frame when we reverse out of the garage.
So, how does the FWD perform when the wall next to it or the car on the other side is not parallel to the MX?
Anyone who parks like this mind posting a pic or a video? Thanks.

I haven't done this.
But i do have a wide garage .and my FWD faced a freezer, which has open space up to 9 feet above it . The FWD freaks out because it sees the "wall" dissapear at about 5.5 feet high .
So I had to put a large box on top of freezer and then all is well

• Funny
Reactions: WarpedOne
I found that if I park in an angle the falconwing hits the wall. I have to back into garage on an angle and then straighten when I'm in away from the wall. So my passenger side is couple inches to the side of door opening. I have to back in an angle, if I back in straight I'm too close to wall and falconwing door won't open. Then when I exit garage I have to go out on angle and straighten as my mirrors pass door keeping and eye on passenger side as not to scrape.

I park the X every night. My wife has learned how to drive out, She won't back into garage though.
Sorry I have no videos or pics

Last edited:
I found that if I park in an angle the falconwing hits the wall. I have to back into garage on an angle and then straighten when I'm in away from the wall. So my passenger side is couple inches to the side of door opening. I have to back in an angle, if I back in straight I'm too close to wall and falconwing door won't open. Then when I exit garage I have to go out on angle and straighten as my mirrors pass door keeping and eye on passenger side as not to scrape.

I park the X every night. My wife has learned how to drive out, She won't back into garage though.
Sorry I have no videos or pics
Thanks! When it does hit the wall, I assume it stops there. Does it hit hard enough to damage the wall or the door itself? Even minor scratches?

The FWD sensors for opening is embedded at the bottom of the aluminum panel (inside) so depending on the angle, it will hit the wall. However you could fool the sensor by placing some cushion like material on the wall facing the sensor when parked, so it will think the wall is closer.

Thanks .I plan to install some sort of foam padding on the garage wall to protect both the FWD and the driver side door .the other side where my wife's car will be parked - I just have to test and see what happens once I take delivery.

Reactions: hiroshiy