Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I need purchase HPWC online in advance ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
14-50 is what...30 bucks? Still 1/10th.
I find it amusing that your are suggesting that a few hundred dollars is important to people buying expensive cars...

The only argument I can see really is for the additional material and thus environmental impact of making another device.

Anyway, not sure why we at debating this, it's a matter of personal choice, and unless it impacts others, who cares what others do.

You asked for reasons why, you got some. Not sure why you are debating other people's reasons...

Reactions: Falkirk and 03DSG
But why would you have to get the cable 'out of the car each day'. Keeping it in the car always doesn't make sense. Unless you went somewhere super remote away from home for a while where you had to plug into 110 to charge.

While unlikely, I don't believe I can plan for all circumatances in advance and having a small safety net of the cable with the car (and not forgotten when in a rush), is beneficial.

Reactions: PeterK
It definitely looks better.

It's not easier to insert it's the same.

It's good for higher power but not necessary as you say.

But why would you have to get the cable 'out of the car each day'. Keeping it in the car always doesn't make sense. Unless you went somewhere super remote away from home for a while where you had to plug into 110 to charge.

Personally I have only used my cable 1x away from home in 30,000 kms of ownership. It lives in the garage.

Superchargers and level 2 chargers have their own cables.

I use it for destination charging at multiple locations: my sister’s and mother’s garages (120v but getting my sister to upgrade to 240v), lake cabin with a 240v plug installed in the driveway, ski resort with a 240v plug, and 240v plug in the loading dock of a company in NYC where I attend board meetings. Much nicer to start out on a 200-250 mile return drive with a full battery than 20 or 30%. And peace of mind just in case.

I’ve had an S and now X for over five years now, and those were my reasons for putting an HPWC in the garage: faster charging (80a on my S and 72a on my X vs 40a),
Fair point. Faster is nice. The supercharger 10 minutes away solves that however. That won't work for everyone.

no risk of forgetting the cable (always want to have it in the car for emergencies), and less hassle as well as

safer to not be constantly plugging and unplugging a 240v plug, especially if one of my kids does it.
What emergency would require the cable? And you don't unplug the 14-50. You leave it plugged in to the receptacle with the cable nicely coiled on a cable holder.

HPWC looks cool plus AFAIK the handle is not energized until it does a handshake with the car prior to starting to charge, so much safer to handle.
Does look cooler but no, not safer. Same.

I use it for destination charging at multiple locations: my sister’s and mother’s garages (120v but getting my sister to upgrade to 240v), lake cabin with a 240v plug installed in the driveway, ski resort with a 240v plug, and 240v plug in the loading dock of a company in NYC where I attend board meetings. Much nicer to start out on a 200-250 mile return drive with a full battery than 20 or 30%. And peace of mind just in case.
Sure. I'm speaking from my own experience though, where there aren't many situations within 300 kms of my home where I wouldn't just supercharge away from home or use one of hundreds of level 2 charging sites (I leave my adapters in the car) . You're also in the US somewhere? This is the Canada section and i live near Toronto where we have superchargers in every direction.

I find it amusing that your are suggesting that a few hundred dollars is important to people buying expensive cars...

The only argument I can see really is for the additional material and thus environmental impact of making another device.

Anyway, not sure why we at debating this, it's a matter of personal choice, and unless it impacts others, who cares what others do.

You asked for reasons why, you got some. Not sure why you are debating other people's reasons...
Your logic is flawed. You're saying $500 means nothing to tesla owners? I. E. They spend $500 extra for zero benefit? Just because?

Most people making this decision right now are model 3 owners laying out about $65,000 for a model 3 BEFORE rebate. They're not buying $150,000 model S or X and to a buyer of a $45,000-50,000 car, $500 might move the needle.

I asked why people bother vs the included charging cable. I don't see the benefit for my situation so I asked what other people are buying them for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viv ki Bijli
Funny my question leads to the debate if we realy need one HPWC. Okay, sorry, I started this, my Garage already has J1772 charger installed, but I still like the nicer Tesla charger.
Not at all. It's just an interesting discussion point. People shouldn't feel they NEED an hpwc. I wanted to hear arguments for buying one rather than a simple receptacle to help new buyers decide.

This is just healthy discussion.

I thought the wall charger was a redundancy but for some people it's to save having to use their cable thay they like to keep in their car for peace of mind. I did that too for the first month and then realized it was unnecessary. Anyway If I needed the cable in the car I'd be more likely to buy another cable package from tesla. They're the same price as the wall charger but come with another set of accessories and adapters.

So far the best reasons are that it looks nicer and charges quicker. It definitely looks nicer than a plugged in cable and for a model 3 owner who might not want to pay to supercharge when they need to charge quickly, 96 kmh charging at home might be valuable.

I want it to be clear to new tesla owners that they don't need a HPWC however.

Last edited:
People buy 19" wheels for their model 3...each to their own... people buy different colours of cars and pay more, each to their own...
Yes 'to each their own'

However they pay extra for those things you mentioned for a reason (aesthetics largely for wheels and paint) . You don't need to tell me this. I drive a P90D that was 1.5x the cost of a regular 90d and nearly 2x the cost of a 70d. I understand spending money for things you want.

The poster you quoted my reply to had suggested that because teslas are expensive tesla buyers can afford to spend $500 extra on the hpwc even in the absence of a reason. That makes no sense.

Others gave their good reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viv ki Bijli
Yes 'to each their own'

However they pay extra for those things you mentioned for a reason (aesthetics largely for wheels and paint) . You don't need to tell me this. I drive a P90D that was 1.5x the cost of a regular 90d and nearly 2.5x the cost of a 70d. I understand spending money for things you want.

The poster you quoted my reply to had suggested that because teslas are expensive tesla buyers can afford to spend $500 extra on the hpwc even in the absence of a reason. That makes no sense.

Same arguments, aesthetics for $. Convenience for $. Those were some of the reasons given. My argument was that clearly many people buying Tesla's make that choice, as with other expensive vehicles. I'm not sure why you thought it was a separate reason.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
Yes 'to each their own'

However they pay extra for those things you mentioned for a reason (aesthetics largely for wheels and paint) . You don't need to tell me this. I drive a P90D that was 1.5x the cost of a regular 90d and nearly 2.5x the cost of a 70d. I understand spending money for things you want.

If this is for Model3, there is a reason. The included cable could only go 32Amp, a HPWC could go up to 48amp.

My powerstream charges me 0.02 cents per kWh between 12am - 7 am, with 32Amp , I could not full charge my car during that period.

Fair point. Faster is nice. The supercharger 10 minutes away solves that however. That won't work for everyone.

What emergency would require the cable? And you don't unplug the 14-50. You leave it plugged in to the receptacle with the cable nicely coiled on a cable holder.

Does look cooler but no, not safer. Same.

One of the reasons I got an EV was to not have to stop at gas stations. There are superchargers within 10-30 min of my home but I don’t want to go out of my way to charge.

I unplug the 14-50 to have it in the car. While traveling I prefer to destination charge when the car is idle than waste the extra time. Even supercharging takes time, and superchargers aren’t always on the most convenient route.

And it is definitely safer than repeatedly plugging and unplugging a 240v plug.

Basically my investment in an HPWC gave me charging speed, options and convenience. Not bad. And if I find we’re using the driveway 14-50 plug much more after the 3 comes, I may get a J1772 EVSE for the convenience, and to have a way for visitors with non-Tesla EVs to charge.

I ordered the HPWC with the 24' cable online last Sunday. It was delivered yesterday.
And my receipt of purchase is from a local Canadian Tesla store so my application for the Ontario rebate should go through without a hitch.

I believe all online orders from the Tesla web store are invoiced by the Lawrence Avenue Toronto SC. The WC, cord hanger, plate frame, tire pump and frunk/trunk mats I ordered over time all were.

Your logic is flawed. You're saying $500 means nothing to tesla owners? I. E. They spend $500 extra for zero benefit? Just because?

Most people making this decision right now are model 3 owners laying out about $65,000 for a model 3 BEFORE rebate. They're not buying $150,000 model S or X and to a buyer of a $45,000-50,000 car, $500 might move the needle.

I asked why people bother vs the included charging cable. I don't see the benefit for my situation so I asked what other people are buying them for.

I agree with you. Not worth spending money for just looks if 14-50 does the job. Plugging and unplugging once in a while is not a hassle

There are a couple key differences actually.
1) the UMC isn’t as weatherlroofed as the HPWC is (it’s ratings for temperature & weather are lower across the board)
2) the UMC is limited to 32amps where the HPWC can get a full 40amps out of the same circuit, and be boosted higher if the circuit & panel can handle it.
3) the UMC does not cap the charger plug, while the HPWC has the connector plug into the side of the unit when not in use, protecting the connector and helping to prevent corrosion on the electrical contacts.

Currently, I only have the UMC, and I’ve actually put together a small cabinet to store my UMC in to provide a little protection against the weather at least. Long term, I think I will get a HPWC and install that instead. I’m hoping to get a free one via the referral program, but I haven’t had any luck there yet. ;)