Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I really need to go to a touchless car wash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whether you want to follow Teslas recommendation on this is completely up to you, but this question is specifically answered in the user manual.

Cleaning.png

Not sure why the hostility–chill bro. I've been using car washes my whole life and never had an issue with swirls. I just found it interesting Tesla has cautions and warnings against it.
EPA is forcing more environmentally friendly painting practices, which has forced the industry to turn to water-based paints, which aren't as good as they used to be which means car washes can more easily damage the paint. In my view it all depends on if you keep your car well waxed and if you pick car washes with a relatively light touch.

While this is true for all cars, as I recall, some of the Tesla paint options are single coat while others are multi-coat. I would be mostly concerned if my car was a single coat.

Reactions: tomtendo
EPA is forcing more environmentally friendly painting practices, which has forced the industry to turn to water-based paints, which aren't as good as they used to be which means car washes can more easily damage the paint. In my view it all depends on if you keep your car well waxed and if you pick car washes with a relatively light touch.

While this is true for all cars, as I recall, some of the Tesla paint options are single coat while others are multi-coat. I would be mostly concerned if my car was a single coat.
Thank you for the thoughtful response. Not sure why mod was so tripping! How do I know if my car is single or multi-coat?

IMO, Tesla paint is garbage. I'm particular about how I wash my cars and my M3P has more swirls than I would expect. Plus, bugs and bird droppings easily affect the paint in ways I don't see in other cars' paint. Had to do this a few times...

So if you care about not having swirls, I'd recommend avoiding brushed car washes.

When I had a 3, I couldn’t take it to an automatic car wash because the factory wheels stuck out further than the rubber tire. The metal guide would have chewed them up. Swirl marks don’t really bother me. It’ll never be a museum piece, but I hate chewed wheels.

I learned the two bucket wash and did that for 3 years. Not great for your back and tough in the winter, but I work from home and the car is garaged, so I didn’t have to wash it a lot.

With my Y, I’m moving to a foam cannon technique. Enjoy your car whichever way you go!

Reactions: kpanda17
I'm also in Florida (Panhandle) and with all the storms and rain, there's no way I'm washing my car by hand every week. I have a monthly carwash pass with unlimited uses. I usually go through the carwash once or twice a week and wash it by hand and vacuum inside once a month.
I have a '23 M3RWD white, and no swirls on the paint.

Reactions: 1speed and kpanda17