Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I really need to setup Wifi?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Wifi signal is pretty weak in the garage and in the driveway. So much so that often I cannot summon or connect to the car because it's able to get a signal (so doesn't use LTE), but the signal is so weak that transmission is off/on. It's very annoying. I want to just turn the Wifi off and have LTE on at all times, but the interface nags me to connect to Wifi to get "full features", whatever that means.

Anyway around this?

I think the navigation data only updates over Wi-Fi but you will still get software updates over LTE. Why not place an access point in the garage? I have a spare Airport Express that I use as an access point for my Dropcam's in the garage and it will also be used when my X arrives.

My Wifi signal is pretty weak in the garage and in the driveway. So much so that often I cannot summon or connect to the car because it's able to get a signal (so doesn't use LTE), but the signal is so weak that transmission is off/on. It's very annoying. I want to just turn the Wifi off and have LTE on at all times, but the interface nags me to connect to Wifi to get "full features", whatever that means.

Anyway around this?

I am no IT expert, but for $25 ... worth a try

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL7UEP4?psc=1

There's an article at The Wirecutter that talks about the cheap extenders and how terribly they all are.
Their cheaper alternative to their recommended WifI extender is this one:
Amazon.com: D-Link Wireless AC1200 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Range Extender & Access Point (DAP-1650): Computers & Accessories
It's probably overkill but it will also probably work all the time.
An added bonus with going with a nicer WiFi Extender is that your phones will work better on WiFi when you're in your garage, yard, etc and you'll get benefit beyond just your Tesla.

Reactions: pchan
I am running a three pod Eero system to blanket WiFi into my detached barn/garage with my home. The Eero system works perfectly with all my WiFi devices, including 4K UHD video streams. Have gotten 2 Tesla firmware downloads and one map upgrade over the Eero.

Their website is www.eero.com

It provides a mesh network that just works super.... very satisfied. BTW they are also on Amazon so if you have Prime you can get free shipping.

I think the navigation data only updates over Wi-Fi but you will still get software updates over LTE. Why not place an access point in the garage? I have a spare Airport Express that I use as an access point for my Dropcam's in the garage and it will also be used when my X arrives.

Is this true, can anyone confirm this? I too have very weak WiFI signal in the garage on my summer home so I deleted the connection and just use the onboard 3G.

That said, I do want my map updates? is there any way to force this update? or at least force the download of map data? I can tether my iPhone to the Model S but I would much rather not sit in the car while all of this gets updated unless I am actively driving the car and going somewhere.

how big are these map update files? anyone have any idea?

I have just recently connected my new X to WiFi. And I did just get a 'maps update'. But I got the message that's the maps updated while I was out driving/parked at a restaurant. So, I'm not sure if it downloaded via wifi then updated later, or if it in fact downloaded while I was out and about, and not via wifi.

My understanding is that merely installing a wifi extender will decrease the throughput of your entire wifi network, which is why I'm hesitant to install it just for this purpose. My new router has very good range and with my phone I'm getting a good signal in the garage. Like others have said, I think the wifi antenna may be somewhat weak on the Tesla so that seems to be the main problem. I guess I can just periodically connect to my wifi to get updates and then erase the wifi profile.

My understanding is that merely installing a wifi extender will decrease the throughput of your entire wifi network, which is why I'm hesitant to install it just for this purpose. My new router has very good range and with my phone I'm getting a good signal in the garage. Like others have said, I think the wifi antenna may be somewhat weak on the Tesla so that seems to be the main problem. I guess I can just periodically connect to my wifi to get updates and then erase the wifi profile.

You can change the SSID of the rebroadcast signal from the access point so only the X connects to it. Do you have any Cat 5 or 6 cables you can tap into? Newer homes have them available in the utility panel located near the garage that go to a service panel typically in a closet in a house

Is this true, can anyone confirm this? I too have very weak WiFI signal in the garage on my summer home so I deleted the connection and just use the onboard 3G.

That said, I do want my map updates? is there any way to force this update? or at least force the download of map data? I can tether my iPhone to the Model S but I would much rather not sit in the car while all of this gets updated unless I am actively driving the car and going somewhere.

how big are these map update files? anyone have any idea?

1. You can't force any kind of an update, they are all pushed by Tesla. Sometimes you can get the Service Centre to request a push.

2. There a posts where folks say they have received the map update that have never connected to Wi-Fi. You couldn't prove this by me though.

You can change the SSID of the rebroadcast signal from the access point so only the X connects to it. Do you have any Cat 5 or 6 cables you can tap into? Newer homes have them available in the utility panel located near the garage that go to a service panel typically in a closet in a house

Interesting idea. May be worth a try.

Personally I have had great results with the powerline adapter linked below:

http://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-PLA5456...?ie=UTF8&qid=1462990206&sr=8-2&keywords=zyxel

Note I use the old 500 Megabit variant, but it works flawlessly extending wifi signal throughout a multi-story townhouse that was built/renovated back in 2001. The powerline adapter attached to its own WiFi access point/router would give wifi service in a dead zone, and would note effect the throughput of the rest of the network as it simply acts as an ethernet connection to your main router/gateway.

come to think of it, I may follow my own advice and install a pair of these in the garage in my summer home so I can get these updates.

edit:

This is actually what I have; the 1000 Megabit variant and it works flawlessly.

ZyXEL PLA5206KIT HomePlug AV2 AV1000 Powerline Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, Up to 1000 Mbps - Newegg.com

I'm about to go buy another one.
Thanks for the advice. I just ordered a powerline adapter with Wifi built in from TP-Link, so we'll see how that one works. The ZyXel one looks really good, but I don't really want to have to get a separate access point just for the Tesla since my new router services all my other equipment well.

Thanks for the advice. I just ordered a powerline adapter with Wifi built in from TP-Link, so we'll see how that one works. The ZyXel one looks really good, but I don't really want to have to get a separate access point just for the Tesla since my new router services all my other equipment well.

Please let us know how the TP Link one works out. In my setup I was more interested in creating an elegant and easy to use solution for my home. I needed an Ethernet cable from where my Telephone/DSL line enters the house to the main living space 3 stories up.The Airport Express that connects to the other Zyxel adapter also feeds an Apple TV that I use to stream all my shows in 720p HD and it works flawlessly. again my concern was HD bandwidth and throughput for the primary internet connection in my home which was otherwise unreliable/unusable.

I understand that getting an internet connection in your garage so that your car can occasionally download map data may not be the most pressing reason to spend a ton of $$ on a solution.

It's funny.. a few years from now when I ship my Model S to greece, it will be garaged 2 feet from there the vDSL router is in my home. Too bad I probably won't be given the european map data, but at least I will get large software updates without eating up too much tethered data which is capped.

There's an article at The Wirecutter that talks about the cheap extenders and how terribly they all are.
Their cheaper alternative to their recommended WifI extender is this one:
Amazon.com: D-Link Wireless AC1200 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Range Extender & Access Point (DAP-1650): Computers & Accessories
It's probably overkill but it will also probably work all the time.
An added bonus with going with a nicer WiFi Extender is that your phones will work better on WiFi when you're in your garage, yard, etc and you'll get benefit beyond just your Tesla.
I installed this model in my detached garage. Works great.

Reactions: loganintx
It would be cool if the wall connector had a built in CAT 6 port, thus the Tesla can communicate over the charge port and other cow-bell features could be added. For instance I can set my Wall Connector to only charge my Tesla based on the approved VIN. If someone else plugs in it will automatically charge them $10 from their MyTesla

Reactions: indy360
I hope this is fast enough for OTA updates

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    79 KB · Views: 122
Reactions: indy360