Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi for over the air updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn’t know you had a patent on that.

Frankly, when you recommended a Powerline Adapter I stopped reading your post.
LOL.

Maybe if you kept reading it, you’ll see I recommended running Ethernet.

The OP is running a mesh network, which is wireless backhaul (by definition), so I can’t imagine them then drilling through a hole through a concrete block wall to run Ethernet, but left it as the better option.

Obviously, a centrally managed WAP setup would be better, but someone who knew all that, wouldn’t have asked this is the first place.

The OP is running a mesh network, which is wireless backhaul (by definition)
To my knowledge, at least when I was exploring it last, all of the better MESH systems supported a wired backhaul (and still do, by a quick google check). Wireless is certainly not a part of the definition. In the end I didn't bother with MESH as I figured out how to configure my Ubiquiti WAPs to provide good coverage with completely transparent switching over our whole 2 acre property with three buildings.

LOL.

Maybe if you kept reading it, you’ll see I recommended running Ethernet.

The OP is running a mesh network, which is wireless backhaul (by definition), so I can’t imagine them then drilling through a hole through a concrete block wall to run Ethernet, but left it as the better option.

Obviously, a centrally managed WAP setup would be better, but someone who knew all that, wouldn’t have asked this is the first place.
OP could just put the second AP on a different SSID. I run a meshed wireless network at my house but it isn’t the cheapest way to do it. My firewall, POE switch, cameras, AP’s are all Cisco Meraki.

I’d bet there is easy access for a CAT cable just below the roof line, no need to drill thru the block.

OP could just put the second AP on a different SSID. I run a meshed wireless network at my house but it isn’t the cheapest way to do it. My firewall, POE switch, cameras, AP’s are all Cisco Meraki.

I’d bet there is easy access for a CAT cable just below the roof line, no need to drill thru the block.
That’s what I ended up doing with an old Linksys WRT1900AC I had lying around. I don’t have the time or equipment to get through the wall with Ethernet.

If the OP can do what you say, that would be much better and also protect the AP from the elements.

To my knowledge, at least when I was exploring it last, all of the better MESH systems supported a wired backhaul (and still do, by a quick google check). Wireless is certainly not a part of the definition. In the end I didn't bother with MESH as I figured out how to configure my Ubiquiti WAPs to provide good coverage with completely transparent switching over our whole 2 acre property with three buildings.
It is my understanding that MESH bounces its signals off each other wirelessly to create wider wireless coverage. Wired backhaul is best, but I don’t think that’s technically MESH anymore. It’s more of what you do with your managed WAPs.

It is my understanding that MESH bounces its signals off each other wirelessly to create wider wireless coverage. Wired backhaul is best, but I don’t think that’s technically MESH anymore. It’s more of what you do with your managed WAPs.
It can be wired AP’s or wireless repeaters. Setting the AP’s to be repeaters has it disadvantages, mainly bandwidth.

My interpretation of a mesh would be a large campus/building with a wired WAP or AP network so your always have seamless wireless coverage.

One issue with consumer grade access points is the inability to transfer smoothly to the next AP as you walk from AP to AP. That’s why I suggested the OP create a different SSID for the second AP.

Reactions: MattM24
I received Eero Wifi 6 extender today. Super easy to set up - plug in, click on add device in Eero app and after a software/firmware update was automatically installed, it was ready to go. I tried a couple of locations inside the house first since that is a more optimum solution than having to put it outside whenever there is a Model Y update. The best location was in my home office right next to the wall where the car is parked. Despite the fact that there is no window on this wall, not only can I see the network from my MYLR but I get 4 bars. It appears that the problem is solved. Plus I now get a stronger signal for all computers in the home office using the same network.

Strangely earlier today before setting up the extender I got a notification from Tesla app that an update is ready for installation. It would appear that the update was automagically downloaded over cellular. From other posts I have read, this does notvappear to be a unique occurence. For what it's worth, I am still in the complimentary 30 day trial period for premium connectivity and have already signed up to pay for it when the trial ends. in any case I have scheduled the update to install at 12:30 am. Hopefully my first over the air update will go well!

Reactions: zoomer0056
I received Eero Wifi 6 extender today. Super easy to set up - plug in, click on add device in Eero app and after a software/firmware update was automatically installed, it was ready to go. I tried a couple of locations inside the house first since that is a more optimum solution than having to put it outside whenever there is a Model Y update. The best location was in my home office right next to the wall where the car is parked. Despite the fact that there is no window on this wall, not only can I see the network from my MYLR but I get 4 bars. It appears that the problem is solved. Plus I now get a stronger signal for all computers in the home office using the same network.

Strangely earlier today before setting up the extender I got a notification from Tesla app that an update is ready for installation. It would appear that the update was automagically downloaded over cellular. From other posts I have read, this does notvappear to be a unique occurence. For what it's worth, I am still in the complimentary 30 day trial period for premium connectivity and have already signed up to pay for it when the trial ends. in any case I have scheduled the update to install at 12:30 am. Hopefully my first over the air update will go well!
Awesome, problem solved!