Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Model X 19" Cyclone Winter wheels fit on the Model S?

Model X 19" Cyclone 265/50 winter wheels and tires fit a Model S?

• Yes, no problem!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe, might rub minimally, maybe with a spacer

• Who knows, try and tell us!

• Absolutely not

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vanwho

spaceship goes zoom
Nov 21, 2020
DE/AT
Hey folks, after scouring the countless wheel and tire threads, I can't find this scenario and an answer to it, so asking if anyone has done it, or has more tire experience to surmise the fitment...

Model X 19" Cyclone Winter tire setup - Pirelli Scorpion 265/50 R19

They of course have the same bolt pattern (5×120) and center bore (64.1mm) as the Model S wheels.

The Model X wheels all have a 35mm offset, while Model S wheels have the 40mm offset.

Those Cyclone Model X wheels are 8.5" wide.

On say a 2015 P85D, but any car with staggered 21" Turbine wheels, there are 8.5" in front, and 9" in the rear.

For winter tires for the Model S, the smart choice is drop down to 19" Slipstream (or original spoke) wheels, but those are just 8" wide all around, and 245/45 R19.

So the question is: I think the cyclones look infinitely better, but at 265/50 tall, but will they rub (any more than the staggered 21's may at extremes)? Without spacers, and easy enough to get 5mm spacers if absolutely necessary.

Thanks all! Appreciate any thoughts or experience

Attachments

• 20201030_111729.jpg
    20201030_111729.jpg
    898.4 KB · Views: 241
The Model S staggered 21's are 265/35 21 in the rear, and 245/35 21 in the front.

So for the rear, the cyclone 265/50 19 are 1.1" (28mm) "taller" in diameter, and 3.5" (89mm) longer in circumference. Both 3.9% more. Just a huge sidewall.

In the front, that would be a 5.8% difference, and of course the half inch wider.

I suppose the more pressing matter is it's not a default option in the menu, so speedo would be off a bit.

But I still wonder if they'd fit.

Going from 8.5" and 9" to 8" all around is just a massive loss of traction area.

Agreed, for winter you're better off running no bigger than a 245 width tire.

The MX cyclone wheels will fit fine, but you'll want to run MS sized tires like 245/45R19s. The slightly wider wheel will cut down a bit on curb protection and might improve the responsiveness a touch over an 8 inch wide wheel. The MX wheels will also come further out due to the slightly lower offset which IMO looks better.

I think the 265/50 will almost surely rub, perhaps a lot. That said, there are some people running some very extreme sizes out there.

If you go for the Cyclone rims then you definitely touch front suspension as they are half a inch wider but offset is also 5mm more inside. And everything above 245/45R19 of tyres will rub on front wheel well. Can’t say for rear axle.

Thanks folks, good info all around so far.

Yeah, running 265/45r19 in the rear would likely be all good, and is basically the same diameter/circumference as 265/35r21, and dropping down to 265/45 in the front instead of 265/50 is just that couple of percent larger (remember, "stock" 21" turbines are 265/35r21 in the front), so with the offset and slightly more width is still a bit of a guess in the front, but at least speedo would still be very close to 21's setting.

I may turn into a guinea pig...

These aren’t gonna fit, or are gonna fit so miserably with so much compromise that it’s just not worth it. If we’re placing bets, that’s mine.

If you’re dead set on the cyclone wheels the right way to do this is to buy a set, dismount the tires and sell them as new, then buy tires in the correct size.

Reactions: gaswalla
Why not just buy a set of used 19" Cyclone wheels like the ones I bought for road trips on my 2015 P85D?

These Cyclones prevent my 21" Michelin Pilot Super Sport ("PSS") tires on my 21" Arachnids from getting damaged on road trips by potholes... and the 19" Michelin MXM All Season tires work great in snow (unlike the 21" Michelin PSS tires which are summer ONLY.

Attachments

• i2a6xUJbQF2UsHUiSvNMvw_thumb_4541.jpg
    i2a6xUJbQF2UsHUiSvNMvw_thumb_4541.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 114
Honestly, I wasn't sure if there were cyclone wheels for the S, or rather, no used ones for sale in the countries around here (not-Norway Europe). Will keep an eye open, though! Got a used set of 19" slipstreams with the sottozero winter tires for now. I do like the idea of a road trip set vs. the 21" turbines, so all seasons, if they're good in snow, would be the best bet (use snow chains where absolutely needed anyways), thanks for the tips.

Need some guidance. Based on this thread, just bought some mint MX 20 inch wheels. These will be my summer tire/wheels. I have seen tire size recommendations for F245/40/20 and R275/40/20 vs F245/40/20 and R275/35/20. Do you think i makes any big difference? Also, debating Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ vs Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. Appreciate any guidance - hoping to install in about 4 weeks