Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do the 2021’s have a softer ride

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
]
Was the demo a 2020 LR with 19"? Many of the demo MYs I've seen at the SC are either 20" or PUP. I've actually yet to see one with 19". Either 20 or 21s will certainly be harsher. If the demo had 19s, I'm still very curious if the 2nd part number in the Tesla Parts Catalog is a follow-on spring for the 2021s. I'd be interested in retrofitting that if it is truly the case. It looks like a pretty straightforward job to change out the rear springs.

BreatheEasier, the Demo was directly comparable a LR AWD with Gemini 19” wheels even the same color

My money is on the spring rate and possibly the dampers changed. When I get back from my weekend travel I'm going to get underneath my 2020 and see if I can pull part numbers off my springs and dampers. If they are different than what is offered in the Tesla Parts Catalog now, I'm going to assume that Tesla updated the suspension.

Then the question will be if I complain enough can they swap out the suspension as they did with the early M3s, or will I have to pay full price to swap. If the springs only, then it 'should' be less $$ than going with a full coil over set from UPP/MPP.

.....wait what? there is only one interior.....
Um no, the white and black interior is a $1000 upgrade, definitely less stiff than the others, we happened to test drive a M3 with one and we knew we needed it for the MY

Attachments

• 67DBD05B-6B1F-4258-83A4-058381E467E5.jpeg
    67DBD05B-6B1F-4258-83A4-058381E467E5.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 105
An upgrade from the seats in a Model 3? Where do you find the option to upgrade the seats when configuring either the Long Range Dual Motor or the Long Range Performance Model Y? The seven seat variant of the Model Y is not yet shipping. I am very confused by your post.
I have a MY, and there should be the same option on a M3 I suppose see the attached config...

Attachments

• 13D620D0-B4AB-4912-9502-F51400D5C3B3.jpeg
    13D620D0-B4AB-4912-9502-F51400D5C3B3.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 80
Model 3

The premium upgrade package (PUP), as of 10/2019: Tesla PUP (Premium Upgrade Package) - What's Included and Is It Worth the Cost? | enrg.io

Elon and Co.’s most affordable and best-selling vehicle to date is the wildcard in all of this. As of the date of this writing, you may select or forgo the PUP for your new Model 3. The upgrade will set you back $5,000 and will include the following:
  • Heated seats for all passengers.
  • Two USB ports in the rear (there are two USB ports in the front center console of every Model 3).
  • A premium audio system similar to the one in the S and X Models mentioned above.
  • Premium seating and interior materials (as opposed to the textile seating in the non-PUP versions).
  • Custom driver profiles that remember where you prefer your seat, mirrors, and steering column.
  • Power adjustable front seats.
  • A tinted glass roof with infrared protection.
  • LED fog lights.
  • A Center column docking station for two smartphones.
  • Upgraded side mirrors with power folding, heating and auto dimming.
Was this for the off-menu Model 3 SR? The SR had fabric covered seats that were not power adjustable. I understand that the SR version of the Model 3, as of 11/2020, is no longer available from Tesla.

Currently, for the Model 3 SR+, Tesla states:

Partial Premium Interior Includes:
  • 12-way power adjustable heated front seats
  • Premium seat material and trim
  • Upgraded audio – immersive sound
  • Premium Connectivity (30 days included):
    • Satellite maps with live traffic visualization
    • In-car internet streaming music and media
    • Video streaming
    • Caraoke
    • Internet browser
Premium Interior Includes:
  • 12-way power adjustable front and rear heated seats
  • Premium audio – 14 speakers, 1 subwoofer, 2 amps, and immersive sound
  • Premium Connectivity (1 year included):
    • Satellite maps with live traffic visualization
    • In-car internet streaming music and media
    • Video streaming
    • Caraoke
    • Internet browser
  • LED fog lamps
  • Interior floor mats
Regarding the white seats in the Model 3, here is a thread: White seats are too soft

Some Model 3 owners believe the foam material used in the Model 3 seats is the same for the black and for the white seats, the white material feels softer.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: LionelHutz
My money is on the spring rate and possibly the dampers changed. When I get back from my weekend travel I'm going to get underneath my 2020 and see if I can pull part numbers off my springs and dampers. If they are different than what is offered in the Tesla Parts Catalog now, I'm going to assume that Tesla updated the suspension.

Then the question will be if I complain enough can they swap out the suspension as they did with the early M3s, or will I have to pay full price to swap. If the springs only, then it 'should' be less $$ than going with a full coil over set from UPP/MPP.

Thanks for offering to check the part numbers ... looking forward to hearing what you find out. The part numbers will tell the truth if there’s been any changes in the struts or the springs.

I find the ride on my 2018 Model 3 w/ 19" wheels pretty rough on the horrible streets here in Seattle. I am doing an overnight test drive of a 2021 69XXX VIN Model Y LR AWD w/ 19" and was excited to try out the increased tire sidewall and suspension on these streets.

Sadly, I don't notice much difference. Perhaps a little less clunking on deeper potholes than the Model 3 but nothing huge. I just had a MS loaner w/ 19" wheels and could clearly tell the difference with air suspension so I wasn't expecting the Model Y to be nearly THAT smooth but it was a bit of a letdown tbh.

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
I have a Sept build Model Y, I attribute the harsh ride to the stock Continental tires.

I just changed over to winter tires, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's. The ride is significantly softer and much quieter with the new tires. The new tires are on after market rims (Replika R241 but I don't think rims would make much of a difference, so I'm crediting the tires. The difference is not small.

I'm hoping the stock tires wear out fast, so I have an excuse to upgrade them and have the softer, quieter ride year round.

I have a Sept build Model Y, I attribute the harsh ride to the stock Continental tires.

I just changed over to winter tires, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's. The ride is significantly softer and much quieter with the new tires. The new tires are on after market rims (Replika R241 but I don't think rims would make much of a difference, so I'm crediting the tires. The difference is not small.

I'm hoping the stock tires wear out fast, so I have an excuse to upgrade them and have the softer, quieter ride year round.

Same experience here with Vredestein Quatrac Pros on my 19" Geminis. Completely different ride now.

I'm just curious for you guys who swapped tires and say its night and day. You've absolutely confirmed the tire pressure was the same on both sets of tires? Asking because tesla can sometimes deliver cars at 45 psi and its a HUGE difference if you adjust the tire pressure down.

I'm just curious for you guys who swapped tires and say its night and day. You've absolutely confirmed the tire pressure was the same on both sets of tires? Asking because tesla can sometimes deliver cars at 45 psi and its a HUGE difference if you adjust the tire pressure down.
Not sure if you are refering to me as I didn't say night and day, but I will reply.
When I went to the tire shop for the winter changeover, the original tires were at 40, 40, 41 and 41 according to the sensors.
The winters are at 42, 42, 42 and 43. I'l probably drop them down a couple of psi.

I didn't demo anything but I picked up my Model Y yesterday and it has stock 19" tires. I also have the white interior. Laminated glass. I was expecting a rough ride based on the research I did but I have to say I think the suspension has been great! I think it rides really nice and I'm coming for an Acura MDX that was a great ride.

Picked up the Model Y and was very impressed by the ride and quietness. I understand that in addition to the laminated glass, they also pumped a lot of deadening material into the front. It sure works. Deafeningly quiet. Amazing. Much quieter than my Model X and an almost comparable ride. I like the tight responsive feeling of the steering and the suspension. Thumbs up. Tesla.

Picked up the Model Y and was very impressed by the ride and quietness. I understand that in addition to the laminated glass, they also pumped a lot of deadening material into the front. It sure works. Deafeningly quiet. Amazing. Much quieter than my Model X and an almost comparable ride. I like the tight responsive feeling of the steering and the suspension. Thumbs up. Tesla.

How do you know they pumped a lot of deadening material into the front? Did you pull something apart to find this fact?

For me it was night and day with the Vredesteins. And my family is no longer upset. Is it "luxury"? Hell, no. It can still 'pogo-stick' over rough road for sure. I've been precisely at 42lbs on both the Contis and Vredesteins. I'm always on top of my tire pressure.