Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do the all wheel drive model 3's get "dual motor" badges?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They should just make a sticker for the back window. A lot cheaper, faster and easier for Tesla. Subaru does it for certain models if they don't have space for an extra badge.
I vote for NO foo-foo stickers and NO stinkin badges!! Just say "No!" unless you're like the kid on a street who always wants those shiny "Police" stickers the cops give to little kids. This car is more for grown-ups, with a kid's heart. Plus, I think subtlety just adds more to the Tesla mystique.

I had a white Model 3 AWD delivered at 11:55AM (window was 10:00AM-12:00noon). No "Dual Motors" emblem badge on rear. Besides, I don't need no stinkin badges!

Pre-reserved 3/31/16 (about 2 hours after initial online offering; 917 day wait);
09/188/18, I stopped holding my breath for the minimal minimalist Model 3 and submitted to Elon's non-$35K Model 3;
0/5/18, Model3 delivered to my home (on-time); felt like I was ordering vegetables from Instacart, watching my Telsa get driven from the Tesla Fremont Hub to my home (28 miles away).
Yes- high real estate prices in the Bay Area but at least it's super close to Tesla Hub / plant.

Reactions: Sg911
Pre-reserved 3/31/16 (about 2 hours after initial online offering; 917 day wait);
09/188/18, I stopped holding my breath for the minimal minimalist Model 3 and submitted to Elon's non-$35K Model 3;
0/5/18, Model3 delivered to my home (on-time); felt like I was ordering vegetables from Instacart, watching my Telsa get driven from the Tesla Fremont Hub to my home (28 miles away).
Yes- high real estate prices in the Bay Area but at least it's super close to Tesla Hub / plant.
0/5/18 is that a date code lol

They used to have clothes and some Tesla things for sale in the stores but they removed that about a year or two ago, I kind of liked being able to go see some of the merchandise in person.

Yep. In fact, when I took delivery of my S two years ago, they hooked me and my whole family up with some gear - two hoodies and two t-shirts. Sadly, I don't think they'll be as generous when my wife takes delivery of the 3 in a few weeks.

Yep. In fact, when I took delivery of my S two years ago, they hooked me and my whole family up with some gear - two hoodies and two t-shirts. Sadly, I don't think they'll be as generous when my wife takes delivery of the 3 in a few weeks.
Yes, the Model 3 is an awesome driving machine! I registered 3/31/16, ordered physical AWD M3 on 9/11/18, and received it 10/5/18. yes- I received zero Tesla goodies or giveaways...

My AWD was delivered with the "Dual Motor" badge.

Attachments

• 2018-11-03 14.57.27-zoom.jpg
    2018-11-03 14.57.27-zoom.jpg
    463.3 KB · Views: 202
My first thought ^^^^^ the same. I grew up in Tahoe (NV not CA though) and yes CA DOT will have a field day with this one. My wife is out in the 3 currently and I’ll check when it gets back, is there a way to pull it up on the screen that it is AWD? Back in the day I had friends that stuck 4x4 badges on 2wd trucks. Eventually CA DOT got savvy and would look in to see the lever (if it existed) was shifted into 4WD.

One place it could be useful: In California during snow season you can have all season tires and AWD in place of tire chains. Without badging how is the CalTrans person going to know you have AWD?

I think this is good point and why I reserved an AWD.

This is what Caltrans told me 2 years ago when I asked about driving my Volt across the Sierra in winter. Take it with a grain of salt as they could have just been trying to make me go away but it sounded reasonable to me.

First, only Cal DOT approved chains count. None of the alternative snow traction devices are approved (as of 2 years ago).

There are 4 levels of chain controls over and through the Sierra. Level 0 is summer and doesn't count.

Level 1: 2 wheel drive and snow/M+S tires or chains.
Level 2: AWD/4X4 drive and snow/M+S tires or chains
Level 3: AWD/4x4 plus chains
Level 4: Road closed.

She said if they do let you pass chain controls with less than the requirement, you can be cited, but more importantly, if something bad happens your insurance company is not liable for anything as you are reckless driving.

I think this is good point and why I reserved an AWD.

This is what Caltrans told me 2 years ago when I asked about driving my Volt across the Sierra in winter. Take it with a grain of salt as they could have just been trying to make me go away but it sounded reasonable to me.

First, only Cal DOT approved chains count. None of the alternative snow traction devices are approved (as of 2 years ago).

There are 4 levels of chain controls over and through the Sierra. Level 0 is summer and doesn't count.

Level 1: 2 wheel drive and snow/M+S tires or chains.
Level 2: AWD/4X4 drive and snow/M+S tires or chains

She said if they do let you pass chain controls with less than the requirement, you can be cited, but more importantly, if something bad happens your insurance company is not liable for anything as you are reckless driving.

Now I left Tahoe for good in 2002 so things may have changed. But level 3 used to be AWD/4WD with winter tires OR chains on drive axles and Level 4 was same as level 3 but local traffic only, as in if your DL had a local address and you were trying to get home.

And yes if you pass controls with less than required no matter what happens (your fault or not) in a wreck you are at fault.

Well, 134,446 miles and I still have no MS85 badge... an original from 2012. No badges then, but promised, briefly.
Kinda like it that way. Incognito. Gotta guess what's under the hood...no weird brag.
Guessing my pending M3 will hold that same faceless honor.

I think these are just about the same now. I cannot remember seeing Level 3 anymore. They just jump to Level 4 from Level 2.

Technically I think you could be turned away with Level 2 even with AWD MS if you did not have a set of chains in the vehicle. I have not had anyone ask that question in over 10 years. I used to carry a set even though they did not fit just so I could point to them if asked.