Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do we still need to run the AC for 10-20 minutes every week like older cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back in the day, we would have to run the air conditioning at least 10 to 20 minutes every week, even in the winter time.

We did this because the refrigerant, or whatever it is is in the AC system, would need to lubricate the hoses every so often, otherwise they would crack, the refrigerant would leak, and then you wouldn't have air conditioning in the summertime.

Is this still relevant in a tesla?

This doesn't sound right at all. You're telling me, that not a single car you've ever owned in the past 50 years has ever had the air conditioning go bad?

Do you buy a new car every couple years or?

I don’t keep cars pasts five years or so, but I have a friends with older cars and they never did what you suggest. That is not to say no one every had an AC fail, I did! But running the AC as you suggest is just an old wIves’ tale that, IHMO, does nothing. And it certainly is not needed with today’s systems. But I guess there is no harm if you feed the need. 😉

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Is this still relevant in a tesla?
No. The Tesla Model Y has a heat pump system with a compressor. The heat pump system runs year round providing heating and cooling. There is compressor oil circulating within the compressor and the refrigerant lines.

It is true that for ICE vehicles it can help maintain the AC compressor in winter if you turn on the AC for a short time. This will circulate the refrigerant and compressor oil.

This doesn't sound right at all. You're telling me, that not a single car you've ever owned in the past 50 years has ever had the air conditioning go bad?

Do you buy a new car every couple years or?

Last car I drove was a 2007 Honda Fit, had it for 11 years and no A/C issues and didn't have to anything like the above to keep it that way. Besides tires, filters, oil, wipers, and fluids the only issues I had was a broken fog lamp due to a rock (which I then covered with a metal mesh), someone rear-ending me, and some wheel bearings needing replaced.

No. The Tesla Model Y has a heat pump system with a compressor. The heat pump system runs year round providing heating and cooling. There is compressor oil circulating within the compressor and the refrigerant lines.

It is true that for ICE vehicles it can help maintain the AC compressor in winter if you turn on the AC for a short time. This will circulate the refrigerant and compressor oil.
Sweet, thank you

but but but ... What about the defrost setting??

eh? Got you there! ;)

LOL, I was waiting for that one! In a car the AC system is small and the heat generated from the compressor protects it from the cold. However, in the case of defrosting the AC is used to dehumidify and not so much as to cool, so there is less stress on the system, but If you run the AC to “cool” you are stressing the system and the comment about not running the AC in cold weather is applicable.

In the end you can get away with running the AC in a car during cold months. But I suggest using it in the cold may well do more harm than good.

Hmmm, way back we were told one should run the AC compressor a few times during the winter months so the compressor would not rust up/seize due to humidity/salt spray and non use for a good 6 months. Not sure when, but all car manufacturers eventually went with the compressor automatically starting to automate this when defrost was selected and at the same time sent air through the evaporator to improve dehumidifying which is still the norm today unless things have changed once more.

Not applicable to the heat pump system in a Tesla.

Never hear of such a thing. In my Mini I turned the AC on on the day I bought it and have never touched that button since. The car seems to do whatever it needs to to maintain the temperature I set and that's one thing that hasn't broken (yet). I trust the Tesla will do the same (unless Elon had some other great idea to revolutionize car air conditioning that causes it not to work-- haven't heard any such complaints.

BTW, AFAIK, all refrigerant-based AC units are heat pumps (in that they move heat from place to place), they just lack the capability to capture the warm side to use as heat in cold weather.