Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you feel like the buttons in the app are backwards?

Do you feel like the buttons in the app are backwards?

• Yes

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every time I go into the app I have to remind myself that the buttons show the current state and not what action they will take. I believe a well-designed button should say what it is going to do instead of what the current state is.

Screenshot_20190113-195643.png

Reactions: Stellavator
I guess I never really thought about it that much.

The "apps" I use more than anything are webconferencing apps, and in particular, the mute button. Almost without exception (I would say without exception, but there are a few webconferencing apps I don't use often enough to know for sure), the mute button basically shows you the current status. That is, when you are not muted, it shows a picture of a mic. When you click it, it puts a line through the mic, or highlights it in red to indicate it is OFF. This make it very easy to glance at and see if my mic is on or not.

I think about the app buttons the same way. When I look at the fan, if it's got a line through it, I know the fan is not on. When I look at the lock, I know whether it's locked or not. True, the frunk button is different in that it shows the frunk being open, but I suspect this is more about highlighting what the button is, because without the popped frunk it would just look like the front of a car. I can live with that because the frunk open/closed is not a status I really need to check on normally.

So, in my opinion, no, the buttons are not backwards. They are just as they should be.

They are kind of counter intuitive. I see both sides of the argument (although the dress was most definitely white and gold, where were all you fools getting blue and black from!?!?). The problem is that it's a combo control and indicator status, which is common in computers as RTPEV said, but on cars, you typically have a separate control with a logo for "what it does" and then an indicator of some sort. Be it a light or a display. Or even no indicator. Take something as simple as a lock on a modern car. There isn't one button to lock and unlock. There is a lock button and an unlock button. Some cars have a little light that comes on, others have a redundant physical button that moves so you can see. Others just are locked and you can figure it out when you pull the handle. But you have two buttons, each indicating what they do.

On an app, you don't want to use up that much real estate. I guess you could have a lock icon and an unlock icon, and just illuminate which state your're in, but that takes up screen real estate and clutters the UI.

I haven't had any issues with it, but every time I look at it, it does give me pause.

Reactions: APotatoGod