Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S3XY Knob (initial impressions)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Exterior:​

The finish match is perfect. It looks very OEM, it looks like it belongs. They nailed that part.

PXL_20240121_211850865.jpg

Yes, it steals space from the opening to the storage area...I've not yet tried to pull things out, but it's definitely going to be harder. I also think there's a few things they could have done to make it feel more premium: the four buttons around the edge don't "feel" that nice - I assume that would require a different mechanism. I wouldn't have minded some dots/markers on the buttons/indexing spots to help me know which is which in the dark. Also the top of the screen feels like it's going to scratch - Gorilla Glass?

Software (Knob)​

When they said the latency issues wouldn't be there, they weren't kidding. You can seriously use the gear control as a selector, for example. However I'm still looking forward to some tweaks to the firmware: notice the temperature there being in Celsius (with no way to explicitly configure, nor does it piggy-back onto the car's configuration like my TesLogic app does)

Basically, there are three screens that you switch between by rotating the knob. Once you're on a screen, you choose one of five functions via the four buttons or pressing down on the knob, then rotate the knob to change the desired setting. Some settings are toggles, some have multiple options (I'll call those sweeps)

The default layout is pretty sane. One comfort screen (fan, seat heater, rear vents, and temperature), one interior random controls screen, and a driving screen (where the center button selects the gear selector sweep). I've already customized it a bit, so I don't have the original layout handy... but again the stock layout is pretty decent.

Software (App)​

This also feels like a WIP, but more so.
  • Limited options so far, when compared to the existing buttons. In the photo above, you'll notice the top-right is set to rear-seat fans...I'd prefer it were recirculate, but that's not an option for the knob yet... (But is IS an option for buttons)
  • Ambient Light controls in the app didn't work, and the existing light is a little brighter than my preference (and blue). I'd really like to turn that off. Plz Fix?
  • No headlight/fog light controls yet, again, despite that being an option for the existing buttons. Here specifically I'd really like a headlight control sweep for "off, on, auto"
  • No media controls except for volume.... here I'd appreciate an input sweep. That doesn't exist for the buttons yet, so that one's harder.
There's also a general issue that they can't really do that much about where the controls don't get mirrored to the car's display. If I change the temperature, it does in fact change the car's temperature, but the screen still shows the older one.. (And also the windshield wiper controls, and also the heated-seats settings, and also ... ... ) I think they could improve this by doing a combo cloud+commander approach, where they used the commander to change the setting immediately (even when you don't have internets), then used the cloud to "change the setting" just to get the display to match, but that also seems like it would be fraught with unintended "fighting with yourself" issues where a cloud change could overwrite a local change.

Installation​

I did the front passenger side foot-well installation, and ... yeah, it was fine. I'm not going to put up a step-by-step install, instead I'll point to the Teslogic installation video that covers it (pull waterstripping away. Pop out the one side trim piece next to the dash. Pull out the push-pin behind it. Pull out the bit piece of interior trim that push-pin held in place. Clip in the wiring harness, plug in the commander, stuff everything away.

The wiring harness that's provided HAS pass-through functionality, so I was able to easily keep the Teslogic device plugged in (which is good, because the dash functionality isn't done yet, by a long shot)

Oh, I forgot a note for Installation. Currently the order of install is a bit horked, and will be until they get a new firmware on new devices. You have to update the knob while the commander isn't plugged in. So what I did:
  • Dig into the space to install the new commander.
  • Update the new commander.
  • Plug in knob, associate.
  • Unplug commander, update knob's firmware
  • Replug in commander, close up the trim.

Great write up, thanks. Really looking forward to getting mine. Sounds like we'll all be early adopters to some degree though.

One small question - how do you stop the light inside the storage compartment remaining on all the time?, or does it stay on all the time :). ?

Reactions: zoomer0056
Hi, Kilpadtds,As a proud supplier of automotive parts to Tesla, I have had the privilege of observing your detailed feedback on a product you recently used.
we hold in high regard customers who exhibit a discerning and meticulous attitude towards product assessment. Your dedication to providing comprehensive feedback speaks volumes about your commitment to excellence and your passion for the automotive industry.

We, as a brand specializing in automotive components, truly value customers like yourself. Your insights are not only valuable to us but also contribute significantly to the broader Tesla community's understanding of the products available. I would like to extend an invitation for you to consider evaluating our products as well. We believe that your perspective and attention to detail would be incredibly beneficial in helping us refine and improve our offerings.
If you are interested.Pls let me know.😊

• Funny
Reactions: Proppilot and Tiger
Can you push and pull it like a joystick to switch gears?
No, the knob isn't a joystick. It just turns.

You can select the gear selector function, and then turn to the right(CW) to put it in drive, or left (CCW) to go to reverse...

And as per my latency comment, this actually works great. If I were to have a stalkless car, I'd be using this to avoid going crazy, and this gives me a lot of hope for their future "stalks" product.

Reactions: KJD
Great write up. The physical interface looks really good. What year, model of car and car firmware version do you have? Do you think car firmware updates could mess with knob functionality? What about knob firmware updates, do they update and how is this done?

Oh, I forgot a note for Installation. Currently the order of install is a bit horked, and will be until they get a new firmware on new devices. You have to update the knob while the commander isn't plugged in. So what I did:
  • Dig into the space to install the new commander.
  • Update the new commander.
  • Plug in knob, associate.
  • Unplug commander, update knob's firmware
  • Replug in commander, close up the trim.
Nice review - got mine today but looks like a weekend job ;)

So to check plug in commander but don't close up.

Do you know if the buttons will also work with the knob at same time?

Did you have any issues with the knob push down. ? The only Youtube review I can see mention issues with the knob button being intermitent.

Do you know if the buttons will also work with the knob at same time?
Yep, they do.
Did you have any issues with the knob push down. ? The only Youtube review I can see mention issues with the knob button being intermitent.
No, I didn't.

I mentioned that I felt it ... "felt" a bit cheap. The four buttons seem to lever down, not scissor down, for example. I didn't mention, but initially the haptics for "you've turned the knob" felt a bit loose, but they feel fine now. But that specifically? No, mine's fine with the knob push.

Great write up. The physical interface looks really good. What year, model of car and car firmware version do you have? Do you think car firmware updates could mess with knob functionality? What about knob firmware updates, do they update and how is this done?
2020 M3P on current (v11 FSD Beta) firmware. Car Firmware updates certainly COULD mess with the functionality, but the buttons use the same functionality and have been out for a while, and I've not seen any sign that Tesla minds, so I don't expect it. (Signed CAN Bus commands is the major threat to this, but no one really wants to do that)

Knob firmware updates are done via the app over bluetooth, just like S3XY Commander firmware updates.

No, the knob isn't a joystick. It just turns.

You can select the gear selector function, and then turn to the right(CW) to put it in drive, or left (CCW) to go to reverse...

And as per my latency comment, this actually works great. If I were to have a stalkless car, I'd be using this to avoid going crazy, and this gives me a lot of hope for their future "stalks" product.

Ok, maybe a future revision, then. I was hoping this could totally replace the missing gear stalk with all its functionality (push forward for reverse, down for drive, activate tacc or autopilot, etc.). I hope they will revise it for the future.

This looks like a very good product but sadly this is another example of Tesla offloading features at our expense.

It's partly great differentiation. You get to make your car your own, for those to whom it really matters. However, like wraps, I think they should add these options to the delivery pipeline so you can spec them on purchase, perhaps with some premium so that hardcore DIY people can make do with their Amazon purchases.

It's partly great differentiation. You get to make your car your own, for those to whom it really matters. However, like wraps, I think they should add these options to the delivery pipeline so you can spec them on purchase, perhaps with some premium so that hardcore DIY people can make do with their Amazon purchases.
I get your point but then they have to price it appropriately, meaning the base with out it should be cheaper but it's priced same as cars that have all the stuff. But even there I guess you can argue which car sets it should be compared to.

I get your point but then they have to price it appropriately, meaning the base with out it should be cheaper but it's priced same as cars that have all the stuff. But even there I guess you can argue which car sets it should be compared to.
Sure, this will allow them to increase the volume of poverty variants in all of their model lines, and increase volume overall as the higher specs in all model lines will subvent the lower margin ones.

Regarding the installation, I want to clarify whether it's possible for me to do the front passenger installation which I would prefer.

have a late 2021 MY with Intel Atom, just before they switched over to AMD Ryzen. Looking at the set of videos from Enhance as well as a couple of other YouTubers, the front installation options are mentioned only for Ryzen cars, some specifics for Austin cars, China cars and a few other special cases.

Is this because it's not possible in my car, or just because everyone thinks the installation behind the console is quicker and easier?

I would rather do the "advanced" front installation if I can because
  • I don't want to occupy and clutter up the already crowded connector situation behind the console.
  • I don't really want the Commander+cable hanging out under the seat and rear footwell area.
  • Enhance says the front installation will enable more advanced features in the future.
Thanks to anyone who can clarify this!