Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S3XY Knob (initial impressions)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • In my car, there was one more plastic push rivet to remove, that secures a tab of the footwell carpeting lower down on the door pillar. You will need to remove this rivet also to get access to the OBD connector that is somewhat buried in the Intel Atom cars.
Wow, your connector was a LOT more buried than mine (Also an Atom car). Mine was about half-way up the side of the door, in pretty clear sight. Nothing plugged into it before I started plugging things in of course.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
There's also a general issue ... where the controls don't get mirrored to the car's display. If I change the temperature, it does in fact change the car's temperature, but the screen still shows the older one..
I still seem to have an issue with temperature (and perhaps other HVAC settings) showing properly. This was listed as a known issue, addressed by firmware updates, but still doesn't seem to be working quite right.
I said this was in the release notes, because when I look in the app at the S3XY Knob release notes for 2.2.11, it shows this item in the list of "IMPROVEMENTS":
HVAC -status is synchronised with Main display
However, if I look in the Blog section of the website which also has release note information, I do not find that entry under 2.2.11.

Then today I looked at the S3XY Buttons Discord forum (kind of a new venue for me), and there I found a bit of news to pass along on this topic:
I won't paste it directly because I don't want to violate any rules from Discord. But in essence, Dimitar from Enhance replied to a user confirming that the main screen is not updated from the knob, and that this will be fixed in March.

So it seems that the synchronization fix was planned for a February fix but was pulled at the last minute, and the release notes in the app didn't get edited to remove that entry. But overall it's positive news.

I hope this does come in March or soon thereafter, as it's a pretty big issue that affects a number of UI settings , and to me it significantly diminishes the user experience.

(The S3XY Discord can be joined by going to the Blog section on the enhauto.com. There you will find a prominent button that will take you to Discord and invite you to join. I used the Discord app, but I think you can access it from a browser if you prefer.)

Oh, I forgot a note for Installation. Currently the order of install is a bit horked, and will be until they get a new firmware on new devices. You have to update the knob while the commander isn't plugged in. So what I did:
  • Dig into the space to install the new commander.
  • Update the new commander.
  • Plug in knob, associate.
  • Unplug commander, update knob's firmware
  • Replug in commander, close up the trim.
Why can’t you update the knob firmware whilst it’s still connected to the commander?

Reactions: zoomer0056
Why can’t you update the knob firmware whilst it’s still connected to the commander?
Something about how they changed the protocol between the two firmware versions. They didn't give the details, just said not to. The official suggestion is to just unplug the knob, carry it away from the car, and plug into ye-old-USB-C charger somewhere else to do the update.

Installed mine today. I used the rear connector option but removed the vent and usb c cover and push the commander wire up between the rear vent and the trim following the USB c wire so the commander is in the centre console not hanging out the side. I did not need to take the back cover off like the video as you can careful push the wire up.

Updated the commander firmware, then install the s3xy knob and updated that after. no issues other that disappointed that the cars UI is not updating for several options as discussed (Temp, heated seats, chill mode etc ..) above.

• Limited options so far, when compared to the existing buttons. In the photo above, you'll notice the top-right is set to rear-seat fans...I'd prefer it were recirculate, but that's not an option for the knob yet... (But is IS an option for buttons)
  • No headlight/fog light controls yet, again, despite that being an option for the existing buttons. Here specifically I'd really like a headlight control sweep for "off, on, auto"

I installed mine yesterday, and I'm also disappointed that it only supports a very tiny subset of the advertised features

And most of the ones it does support I find a bit pointless - like changing music volume (there's a scrollwheel on the steering wheel for that) or cabin temperature (which is always on-screen, and doesn't sync with the knob anyway)

Hopefully they add some of the missing features soon - the main thing I was looking forward to controlling were the headlights - I need a way to easily turn them off (or to DRL only) and back on (auto) again without tapping through multiple menus on the screen.

Or better yet, the ability to automatically switch them off when I put the car in Reverse, and back to auto when in Drive or Park.

Maybe something for the promised API? Integration with Tasker and/or Macrodroid would be awesome!

The other feature I really wanted (and which is there) is the ability to enable/disable the rear A/C vent, but that feature would be much improved if the knob would show the current state of that feature.
I often carry my dogs in the boot (trunk) of my car, and the stupid car keeps turning off the rear vent unexpectedly, so I'm always having to either fight through menus or temporarily reach back to feel if the rear vent is still on.

the main thing I was looking forward to controlling were the headlights - I need a way to easily turn them off (or to DRL only) and back on (auto) again without tapping through multiple menus on the screen.
Funny, because one of the things I do every day is to force the headlights ON 20 to 30 minutes before sunset. I've never wanted to force them off when the car wanted them on... but to your point, yes I'd also like this functionality on the knob.

BTW the Tesla's headlight behavior changed with a recent update. It used to be that if I changed from AUTO to ON, and later parked the car after sunset, it would beep a little but it would self-cancel back to AUTO and the headlights would shut off after a minute or so.

Now, it stays ON so I have to manually go into the menu and force it back to AUTO. So I'd really like to put this control on S3XY instant access. I did buy a couple of the buttons along with the knob; maybe I'll have to break them out if if they can handle this while still waiting for all the knob functions to become available.

Say what you like about the S3XY knob but the one thing it does really well is look like it was meant to be there all along.
I customized my S3XY knob slightly. I know I am old but I just really like this look.

IMG_1828.jpeg
IMG_1826.jpeg
IMG_1827.jpeg

Does that make the four buttons hard to find/hit?
No there are indentions in the sticker that you can easily feel. You can actually just feel for them easily. It is good because you don’t feel tempted to look for them now. You just feel for them instead.

I like it but I also understand that some people wouldn’t care for the looks of it. It is just a sticker so it can easily be removed from the entire center console.

You can see the inventions in this photo.

IMG_1826.jpeg

Reactions: JHCCAZ
Yesterday, when I was heading home after work my car broke down. Tesla's claim is that the S3XY controller caused it. (I don't believe this, but ... right now I would believe that the wiring harness might have)

The car threw up codes for VCFRONT_a447, BMS_a088, and a bunch more that seemed to be fallout of the VCFRONT_a447 one... no front motor, hold disabled, etc. When I stopped, it started bucking (motor trying to move the car against the brake in a rhythmic way), and wouldn't go into park. After about 5 seconds or so, that slowly died down and the car stayed stopped, but the hazard button didn't work. I got out of the car do try and direct traffic around me, and a few minutes later tried the hazards button again, and it worked. At that point I got back in the car and it was fully working, so I pulled out of the roadway and waited for the tow.

Tesla's service evaluation is basically "thing attached to USB hub can throw out CAN commands, which likely caused this".

Uh ... I can't send CAN commands via the USB hub. But the other device in the front footwell _does_ send CAN commands, so he's not entirely off base

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday, when I was heading home after work my car broke down. Tesla's claim is that the S3XY controller caused it. (I don't believe this, but ... right now I would believe that the wiring harness might have)

The car threw up codes for VCFRONT_a447, BMS_a088, and a bunch more that seemed to be fallout of the VCFRONT_a447 one... no front motor, hold disabled, etc. When I stopped, it started bucking (motor trying to move the car against the brake in a rhythmic way), and wouldn't go into park. After about 5 seconds or so, that slowly died down and the car stayed stopped, but the hazard button didn't work. I got out of the car do try and direct traffic around me, and a few minutes later tried the hazards button again, and it worked. At that point I got back in the car and it was fully working, so I pulled out of the roadway and waited for the tow.

Tesla's service evaluation is basically "thing attached to USB hub can throw out CAN commands, which likely caused this".

Uh ... I can't send CAN commands via the USB hub. But the other device in the front footwell _does_ send CAN commands, so he's not entirely off base
Well that's incredibly concerning

Did you reach out to Enhauto? Mine is supposed to arrive soon, but now I'm nervous about installing it.

Is your car working ok now or is it still throwing codes? It seems odd that the device could cause that

What sort of breakdown have you experienced?

Edit: Never mind. I now see the details!

Ok, seem to have figured out what happened, and it's not the S3XY buttons/knob at all, but it is related to the category of accessory.

You know how there are two places you can loop in devices like this? I had 3 such devices looped in:
* Teslogic (front passenger footwell)
* s3xy commander (front passenger footwell)
* generic ODB2/Bluetooth adapter (between the seats)

The wiring loom for ODB port between the seats had gotten crushed, and seems like it shorted out some lines of the CAN bus. No CAN Bus networking, no car worky.

PXL_20240215_193653498~2.jpg
This makes me actually think more strongly that people should prefer the passenger-footwell location, because it doesn't have the same risks.

Edit: the risk is mainly having the plug extend past the plastic trim piece, so the edge of the trim piece can press against the wires. Tucking the controller inside the trim piece would likely eliminate this risk.

Last edited: