Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S3XY Knob (initial impressions)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, so I got my knob in the mail yesterday and attempted to install it this morning, but there is no way in hell that flimsy plastic crow bar is removing the rear trim piece below the vents. There just isn't enough leverage, and even if there was, the tool isn't stiff enough... its very easy to bend with my hands (unlike the trim piece lol)

Does anyone have some tips to get that piece off a bit easier in a model 3?

Also, can you daisy chain multiple devices on a single port (either the rear or the front)?

Ok, so I got my knob in the mail yesterday and attempted to install it this morning, but there is no way in hell that flimsy plastic crow bar is removing the rear trim piece below the vents. There just isn't enough leverage, and even if there was, the tool isn't stiff enough... its very easy to bend with my hands (unlike the trim piece lol)
I took this piece off to fit a speedo display and I agree it’s very well attached. I used a very sturdy trim removal tool that came as part of a set. A bit like the one on the left of this image:

1708115787989.jpeg

Lots for sale on Amazon - just search for car trim removal tool kit.

Reactions: CCopperpot

Does anyone have some tips to get that piece off a bit easier in a model 3?

Also, can you daisy chain multiple devices on a single port (either the rear or the

Ok, seem to have figured out what happened, and it's not the S3XY buttons/knob at all, but it is related to the category of accessory.

You know how there are two places you can loop in devices like this? I had 3 such devices looped in:
* Teslogic (front passenger footwell)
* s3xy commander (front passenger footwell)
* generic ODB2/Bluetooth adapter (between the seats)

The wiring loom for ODB port between the seats had gotten crushed, and seems like it shorted out some lines of the CAN bus. No CAN Bus networking, no car worky.

View attachment 1018713
This makes me actually think more strongly that people should prefer the passenger-footwell location, because it doesn't have the same risks.

Edit: the risk is mainly having the plug extend past the plastic trim piece, so the edge of the trim piece can press against the wires. Tucking the controller inside the trim piece would likely eliminate this risk.
I installed the knob commander between the seats on my newer 2023 Y and it's way too tight back there to re-install the cover, I tried pushing the wires back but they are in a fixed position, I'd imagine it would damage the wires like this image above if I really forced it...I have since moved it to the more advanced install in the passenger footwell and am very happy I did, it fits easily over there. and actually wasn't hard at all to install after watching a few different videos, not just the one's on the enhance website.

Just installed mine and Im having an issue. Initially I was able to pair both the commander and knob in the app. I ran the firmware update on the knob and I think it froze. After 10 minutes of the updating screen, I closed the app. Now I can no longer connect to the knob in the app, the commander still connects fine. All the preset functions still work on the knob. However, I cannot customize the functions in the app. I think this is because the app isnt connected to the knob.

I took this piece off to fit a speedo display and I agree it’s very well attached. I used a very sturdy trim removal tool that came as part of a set. A bit like the one on the left of this image:

View attachment 1019076

Lots for sale on Amazon - just search for car trim removal tool kit.
Thanks again for the recommendation. Got that exact kit and made the job SOOOO much easier. I had the cover off in just a few mins.

Just installed mine and Im having an issue. Initially I was able to pair both the commander and knob in the app. I ran the firmware update on the knob and I think it froze. After 10 minutes of the updating screen, I closed the app. Now I can no longer connect to the knob in the app, the commander still connects fine. All the preset functions still work on the knob. However, I cannot customize the functions in the app. I think this is because the app isnt connected to the knob.

I don't have an answer for you, but wanted to let you know 'I think' the same thing happened to me (on iOS). While I was waiting on some tools to make the job easier to install the commander, I went ahead and updated the KNOB firmware and just like you, the screen froze on my phone and I just forced the app close. The knob seemed to work ok and rebooted just fine, but the app wouldn't connect to the knob itself after.

Fast forward to this morning, i finished installing the commander and updated it's firmware as instructed.... I power-cycled the knob (not sure if it was required) and everything works perfect. If that didn't work for me, I was going to try removing and re-adding the knob in the app. Perhaps that will work for you?

• Helpful
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I don't have an answer for you, but wanted to let you know 'I think' the same thing happened to me (on iOS). While I was waiting on some tools to make the job easier to install the commander, I went ahead and updated the KNOB firmware and just like you, the screen froze on my phone and I just forced the app close. The knob seemed to work ok and rebooted just fine, but the app wouldn't connect to the knob itself after.

Fast forward to this morning, i finished installing the commander and updated it's firmware as instructed.... I power-cycled the knob (not sure if it was required) and everything works perfect. If that didn't work for me, I was going to try removing and re-adding the knob in the app. Perhaps that will work for you?
Ill give this a shot. So, you are able to customize the knob functions in your app now?

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Ill give this a shot. So, you are able to customize the knob functions in your app now?
I tried power cycling by unplugging and plugging in the usb. Still the same issue. I also tried removing the knob from the commander and readding it.

The commander is connected to the app.
The commander is connected to the knob.
The knob is wont connect to the app.

Only the preloaded functions work with knob with no ability to change them.
I emailed enhauto support but havent gotten a response yet. Does anyone know the best way to reach them? Also, whats their return policy?

I tried power cycling by unplugging and plugging in the usb. Still the same issue. I also tried removing the knob from the commander and readding it.

The commander is connected to the app.
The commander is connected to the knob.
The knob is wont connect to the app.

Only the preloaded functions work with knob with no ability to change them.
I emailed enhauto support but havent gotten a response yet. Does anyone know the best way to reach them? Also, whats their return policy?
Apologies if you already covered this: did you try manually unpairing the knob from your phone in the Bluetooth settings?

Then, I think you're normally supposed to pair it using the app, but in my case I was confused about how to get to the app controls (they were hidden off the bottom of the screen because of the wide aspect ratio) so I initially paired both using the Bluetooth settings facility in the phone. It's not the normal way but it worked.

Reactions: CCopperpot
Apologies if you already covered this: did you try manually unpairing the knob from your phone in the Bluetooth settings?

Then, I think you're normally supposed to pair it using the app, but in my case I was confused about how to get to the app controls (they were hidden off the bottom of the screen because of the wide aspect ratio) so I initially paired both using the Bluetooth settings facility in the phone. It's not the normal way but it worked.
Thanks, I will give this a shot. Does the knob have to put in pairing mode some how for a phone to be able to discover it?

Thanks, I will give this a shot. Does the knob have to put in pairing mode some how for a phone to be able to discover it?
If it's never been connected I think it will be in pairing mode when you apply power. If previously paired, I assume that when power is applied and it boots up, it looks for known paired devices first, but then scans for discoverable smart devices. I haven't looked to see if there's a reset procedure in case the above doesn't work.

If it's never been connected I think it will be in pairing mode when you apply power. If previously paired, I assume that when power is applied and it boots up, it looks for known paired devices first, but then scans for discoverable smart devices. I haven't looked to see if there's a reset procedure in case the above doesn't work.
Thanks! This did the trick. I can finally customize the buttons!

I ordered one of these a few weeks ago… Delivery is due in May.

Things I’m looking forward to are Autopilot lane change, ability to change regenerative level, having come from a 64kWh Kia Soul EV ( which my wife now has) I miss the paddles and ability to coast when out of town. Loads of other customisation it seems and with the sub menus now as well, it will continually improve. I like the OEM look too.

I’ve only had my M3LR AWD 7 weeks.

Got mine yesterday!

Installation feedback:
I will say that detailed installation instructions are sparse.. the M3/MY video on the main website is rear only installation and it's not right to suggest putting that much strain on the cable and just leaving the commander out and tuck it down the side of the seat runner is not a sign of good engineering.. they could provide some velcro or something to keep it out the way!..

I opted for a front install (RHD Model Y) and found a youtube video with reasonable instructions..
However, all videos neglect to mention that the mid and lower A Panel trims have white edge clips that the odd one may not come out with the trim and you may lose it down under the seat/footwell area.. I lost 2! These are expensive ($7/£5 ea from Tesla apparantly) so I am hoping these clones will do the job: For Tesla Model 3/Y central control dashboard interior panel buckle clip 20pcs' | eBay much cheaper!

Setup Feedback:
Actually 90% slick, very easy, the one I had updated the commander first, then the knob, no issues with the order of update, but the feedback I have is the knob update got stuck waiting for the knob to reconnect, however I could see it had rebooted and was working, so closed/reopened the app and it found it.. so all good.

Impressions:
- Overall all a good start, some feedback (below) on improvements/Ux stuff but overall highly configurable and quite slick.. looks a million bucks in the car an absolutely great effort from enhauto..

Constructive feedback
1. It's weird to have more action options with the s3xy buttons than the knob.. a nit pick but my mind is wondering what kind of architectural design is going on here, actions are actions and whilst I can see some tailoring of actions if you have a rotary control, the knob should have more actions, not less! I assume these will slowly build up over time, but I hope whoever is architecting this looks sternly at themselves in the mirror and this is being sorted.
2. General user interactions have been designed by someone with slightly less experience. Lets take drive mode as a good example. It's well designed as an action in that you have two choices, either press the button and it shows the current state, then rotate the knob to change state, or the second choice is auto-action so pressing the button will toggle the drive mode.. However if using the auto-action mode:
A. It briefly shows the current state then updates to the toggled state.. this might be deliberate but in essence it would be quicker and less jarring if it just went directly to the new toggled state.
B. when at the main screen again, the icon for drive mode should ideally show the status of that mode.. just 'chill' or 'std' or 'sport' as text would do, or if not wanting the hassle of translations, then coloured icons.. blue/green/red could easily signify the drive modes.. that way I can see at a glance the mode it is in, and as an improvement, if you press the side button to change mode, rather than the entire screen having to then show the new mode for 3s minimum, it could simply stay at the main home screen and change the icon colour instead.. The same for heated seats.. if set as an iteration or toggle, just update the icon accordingly as the normal main Tesla UI would..
3. The 4 buttons should be lit gently (outline only) as they are hard to see on a night time when driving with no street lights.

Shame Tesla's architecture (certainly via the Commander) can't sync the UI easily, I presume that's either a terrible System Architecture decision by Tesla that the main UI has all this state information coveted by it, or a limitation of the OBD based connection.

Got mine yesterday!

Installation feedback:
I will say that detailed installation instructions are sparse.. the M3/MY video on the main website is rear only installation and it's not right to suggest putting that much strain on the cable and just leaving the commander out and tuck it down the side of the seat runner is not a sign of good engineering.. they could provide some velcro or something to keep it out the way!..

I opted for a front install (RHD Model Y) and found a youtube video with reasonable instructions..
However, all videos neglect to mention that the mid and lower A Panel trims have white edge clips that the odd one may not come out with the trim and you may lose it down under the seat/footwell area.. I lost 2! These are expensive ($7/£5 ea from Tesla apparantly) so I am hoping these clones will do the job: For Tesla Model 3/Y central control dashboard interior panel buckle clip 20pcs' | eBay much cheaper!

Setup Feedback:
Actually 90% slick, very easy, the one I had updated the commander first, then the knob, no issues with the order of update, but the feedback I have is the knob update got stuck waiting for the knob to reconnect, however I could see it had rebooted and was working, so closed/reopened the app and it found it.. so all good.

Impressions:
- Overall all a good start, some feedback (below) on improvements/Ux stuff but overall highly configurable and quite slick.. looks a million bucks in the car an absolutely great effort from enhauto..

Constructive feedback
1. It's weird to have more action options with the s3xy buttons than the knob.. a nit pick but my mind is wondering what kind of architectural design is going on here, actions are actions and whilst I can see some tailoring of actions if you have a rotary control, the knob should have more actions, not less! I assume these will slowly build up over time, but I hope whoever is architecting this looks sternly at themselves in the mirror and this is being sorted.
2. General user interactions have been designed by someone with slightly less experience. Lets take drive mode as a good example. It's well designed as an action in that you have two choices, either press the button and it shows the current state, then rotate the knob to change state, or the second choice is auto-action so pressing the button will toggle the drive mode.. However if using the auto-action mode:
A. It briefly shows the current state then updates to the toggled state.. this might be deliberate but in essence it would be quicker and less jarring if it just went directly to the new toggled state.
B. when at the main screen again, the icon for drive mode should ideally show the status of that mode.. just 'chill' or 'std' or 'sport' as text would do, or if not wanting the hassle of translations, then coloured icons.. blue/green/red could easily signify the drive modes.. that way I can see at a glance the mode it is in, and as an improvement, if you press the side button to change mode, rather than the entire screen having to then show the new mode for 3s minimum, it could simply stay at the main home screen and change the icon colour instead.. The same for heated seats.. if set as an iteration or toggle, just update the icon accordingly as the normal main Tesla UI would..
3. The 4 buttons should be lit gently (outline only) as they are hard to see on a night time when driving with no street lights.

Shame Tesla's architecture (certainly via the Commander) can't sync the UI easily, I presume that's either a terrible System Architecture decision by Tesla that the main UI has all this state information coveted by it, or a limitation of the OBD based connection.
You might want to join their discord channels as they share lots of info about future updates, for example migration of button functions to the knob, they can only code and test a fixed amount in a given month.

Got mine last week and installed it today. It all went very smoothly - apart from the AWOL white plastic clips on the mucket trims, but I can't detect any rattles or obvious slop once re-fitted so I'm not getting excited about that.

As others have said though, the device is still light on functionality; and the lack of display sync between the car's screen and the knob makes many of the more obvious actions more than a bit confusing (e.g. temperature, fan speed). Strangely though, others work fine (wipers, volume).

Overall, I'm very happy with it despite the current limitations. It's great for adjusting wipers, rear-seat heating and ventilation, and interior blower; and the ability to pop any of the doors is great when people are getting in/out and are fumbling with the non-standard door opening control/handles. The battery pre-conditioning could be useful too when heading to a rapid non-Tesla charger.

Reactions: snubbers
You might want to join their discord channels as they share lots of info about future updates, for example migration of button functions to the knob, they can only code and test a fixed amount in a given month.
Thanks! Will pop on discord.

In terms of the adding button functions it just seemed odd to have an architecture that requires individual 'adding' of actions to the knob.. I can think of a more abstract architecture that would ensure the commander held all available actions with enough meta data per action to be applicable to a s3xy button and the s3xy knob.. so once added it applies to both.. but I can't imagine pointing out that may be they should have used a different approach will go down receptively, so probably best kept to myself, as long as the functions get added, it doesn't really matter!

The other oddity which may or may not be related is since installing the s3xy knob, my car has been deep sleeping and so not working with Octopus Intelligent and the Tesla app very well.. i.e. if I open the Tesla App I just get the spinning icon and a greyed out car, often showing last connected 6h ago and won't reconnect... That might be general communication issues, but I've not been able to charge automatically on Intelligent Octopus for 4 days now..