Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you get to keep the old parts during a Retrofit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All!

I am having Tesla upgrade my 2013 Model S to 4g LTE from the 3G that it currently has.

Does anyone know if I get to keep the 3G daughterboard that they are removing from my car? I have a friend who's board went out in their 2012 S and would like mine if I get to keep it

-Zach

mine was replaced under warranty and they covered cost/parts so i did not get to keep anything(sounds fair). maybe if you pay for the "upgrade", the parts coming out are technically yours. doesnt hurt to ask. interesting to find out what their answer would be.

mine was replaced under warranty and they covered cost/parts so i did not get to keep anything(sounds fair). maybe if you pay for the "upgrade", the parts coming out are technically yours. doesnt hurt to ask. interesting to find out what their answer would be.

Yeah, that’s my thought. I’m paying 500+ tax so you would think I am entitled to keep my old one but I figured I’d ask the community before the tech arrives next week

Did the upgrade a while back, asked for it because I like to keep spare parts as I do work on my own cars sometimes (especially Tesla). I was told the price is for the "upgrade", not for buying a new part. Like when you upgrade software to a new version, you don't get to keep the old one to use on another computer.

Did the upgrade a while back, asked for it because I like to keep spare parts as I do work on my own cars sometimes (especially Tesla). I was told the price is for the "upgrade", not for buying a new part. Like when you upgrade software to a new version, you don't get to keep the old one to use on another computer.
Hmmm, I was afraid of that. I might try and see what the tech says anyway.

On a separate note, is the LTE free like the 3g was or is there a monthly charge?

They should give any parts back to you. In my experience you must request them specifically before the work is done.

They do not have any “core” charge so don’t let them tell you the price is for the “upgrade only”.

Edit: I should add this applies to paid repairs/upgrades. For warranty work, Tesla will not let you keep the parts for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago Tesla changed out part of the tail light assembly (something to do with moisture getting in there). I thought it would be fun to keep the old part just to hang in the garage. The guy working on the car apologized and said that's against Tesla policy. But then I talked to the guy in charge of the service center and he said ok. So maybe it's just a matter of who you talk to. Then again, it's been a couple of years and things may have changed.

The 3G modem they wouldn't let me keep when I did the upgrade, but they did let me keep a side mirror when they replaced it (broken due to a software update, but not covered so I had to pay $600, but that's another story for another thread). The difference seemed to be paid upgrade/retrofit they keep parts, paid replacement they let you keep them except for some high voltage components which they would not sell you anyways. Warranty covered items of course they keep old parts.

State law varies a bit on this so you should look up what pertains to you.

In California, if you pay full price out of pocket for a repair, you are entitled to your old parts, but you have to request them AT THE TIME OF SERVICE WRITE UP.

If there is any discount or goodwill service, this doesn't apply. If there is a core charge for the return of the old parts that is clearly marked on the invoice, you have to pay that too.

Lots of instances of Tesla flagrantly disregarding the law in this regard - their default position appears to be "we keep old parts". You generally have to fight with them and know your rights to make any progress.

Reactions: glide