Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you think Tesla will bring back Sunroof option again this year 2019?

When will Panoramic Roof/Sunroof come back for Model S?

• This year 2019

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Next year 2020

Votes: 15 19.0%
  • Year 2021

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Never...

Votes: 49 62.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The lack of a sunroof is sadly saddling Model S sales.

You keep repeating this with no factual data to back it up. Model S sales are mostly in general decline because of price, lack of cosmetic refreshes the past 7 years, Model 3 competition and car sales overall being down, esp. for larger sedans.

You do realize the Model 3 lacks one, right? And yet it sells almost 7x more than the S, so it can't be the only reason.

Won't consider a new S without a pano roof.
Funny to me that people who don't feel this way think dropping it is ok. Whether you like/want the pano or not the S *IS NOT COMPETITIVE WITHOUT IT*

Absolutely. As it is, the Model S interior is tastefully done but the sunroof is one of the little "creature comforts" that you still had in a Model S compared to massaging seats and tons of other features found in cars in this price range. Without the sunroof the Model S lacks a feature that made the design special.

I feel this was a knee jerk decision. "The sunroof has reliability issues for some customers? Delete it." But the realty is it was perhaps one of the most popular options with a > 50% take rate and now probably tens of thousands of existing Model S customers who might otherwise upgrade to a Raven may decide not to do so if it means losing the sunroof.

I wish they'd redesign it and offer it again as an option for an added cost.

For us, the sunroof is as essential as AWD when buying a car. It's a bit sad to see the Model S competing in this price range with the sunroof stripped :( It's not fair for the Model S!

You keep repeating this with no factual data to back it up. Model S sales are mostly in general decline because of price, lack of cosmetic refreshes the past 7 years, Model 3 competition and car sales overall being down, esp. for larger sedans.

You do realize the Model 3 lacks one, right? And yet it sells almost 7x more than the S, so it can't be the only reason.

Who said it is the only reason? Many are suggesting that the lack of a sunroof is dissuading many Model S owners from "upgrading."

You do realize the Model 3 is half the price of the Model 3, right? That's why it is selling so well.

All the more reason to offer a sunroof with the Model S to differentiate the Model S.

The sunroof was selected by nearly 2/3 of people buying a Model S when it was an option. It's totally reasonable to expect some of those customers would not want to "upgrade" to a newer model S if that means they lose the sunroof. We fall in that category and based on other forum posts, many others as well.

Without a sunroof the Ravel Model S is less compelling to many existing customers who are happy with their car with a sunroof.

Who said it is the only reason? Many are suggesting that the lack of a sunroof is dissuading many Model S owners from "upgrading."

You do realize the Model 3 is half the price of the Model 3, right? That's why it is selling so well.

All the more reason to offer a sunroof with the Model S to differentiate the Model S.

The sunroof was selected by nearly 2/3 of people buying a Model S when it was an option. It's totally reasonable to expect some of those customers would not want to "upgrade" to a newer model S if that means they lose the sunroof. We fall in that category and based on other forum posts, many others as well.

Without a sunroof the Ravel Model S is less compelling to many existing customers who are happy with their car with a sunroof.

The OP did, right here: "...It's a shame to see the Model S sales go down when removing the sunroof has made the current Model S less appealing to customers."

The OP stated it was less appealing to customers, not just "existing customers" and there is nothing to suggest otherwise. There are tons of posts on here from existing customers specifically stating they were either waiting for a supposed refresh or DIYs to replace the old front end/lights.

"You do realize the Model 3 is half the price of the Model 3, right? That's why it is selling so well."

I do, hence why it was listed in my very first sentence. But even Musk himself acknowledged that Model 3 sales were hurting the S because it was newer, had an updated screen, updated interior and a better bang for the buck.

"...The sunroof was selected by nearly 2/3 of people buying a Model S when it was an option."

Right, because the other option was nothing at all, just all steel roof and headliner! Now the entire roof is all glass with no seams! That's a night and day difference.

For as many people without sunroof issues, there are just as many that had issues on this forum. I'm not so sure that streamlining was the only reason they discontinued it tbh.

The OP did, right here: "...It's a shame to see the Model S sales go down when removing the sunroof has made the current Model S less appealing to customers."

The OP stated it was less appealing to customers, not just "existing customers" and there is nothing to suggest otherwise. There are tons of posts on here from existing customers specifically stating they were either waiting for a supposed refresh or DIYs to replace the old front end/lights.

"You do realize the Model 3 is half the price of the Model 3, right? That's why it is selling so well."

I do, hence why it was listed in my very first sentence. But even Musk himself acknowledged that Model 3 sales were hurting the S because it was newer, had an updated screen, updated interior and a better bang for the buck.

"...The sunroof was selected by nearly 2/3 of people buying a Model S when it was an option."

Right, because the other option was nothing at all, just all steel roof and headliner! Now the entire roof is all glass with no seams! That's a night and day difference.

For as many people without sunroof issues, there are just as many that had issues on this forum. I'm not so sure that streamlining was the only reason they discontinued it tbh.

I reject the notion that Tesla is the only car manufacturer on earth who is incapable of building a reliable sunroof.

We love the sunroof of our car and it works perfectly, just like all the sunroofs we've had in other cars we've owned.

Let us agree to disagree that the lack of a sunroof is a major deal breaker for many customers for whom a sunroof is an essential feature.

There's something very special about cruising silently in a Model S on a beautiful day with the massive sunroof open and fresh air and sunlight filling the cabin.

I reject the notion that Tesla is the only car manufacturer on earth who is incapable of building a reliable sunroof.

We love the sunroof of our car and it works perfectly, just like all the sunroofs we've had in other cars we've owned.

Let us agree to disagree that the lack of a sunroof is a major deal breaker for many customers for whom a sunroof is an essential feature.

There's something very special about cruising silently in a Model S on a beautiful day with the massive sunroof open and fresh air and sunlight filling the cabin.
I don't deny how special it is, I was simply basing my statement on the myriad of issues S owners had with theirs. Wouldn't it make more sense for Tesla financially to offer the sunroof on the 3 if as you state the majority chose it for the S? Imagine the furor on the Model 3 boards if Tesla announced tomorrow the option to have one! Heck, it wouldn't even surprise me in the least to see them get rid of the falcon wing doors on the next X based on how many repairs they had to do.

Based on the declining Model S sales, I also agree that restoring the sunroof would be helpful.

Add us to the list of folks who have no interest in upgrading to a Raven if that means we lose the sunroof.

The sunroof in a Model S is so gigantic it almost feels like being in a Roadster. It was a substantial feature to differentiate the Model S from the Model 3. That sealed glass roof with the heavily tinted panel of glass is just not the same.

I hope the sunroof returns better than ever and I bet they will see a whole bunch of people like us upgrading when it becomes available.

Reactions: DCEV and plumazul
I have had my Model S since 2013 and have been waiting quite a while now for a refresh. It's just not happening. I, too, can't bring myself to buy a new S now. For one, the interior is almost identical to what I have now. And to give up having a sunroof, I could not do it. In fact, just today I drove the BMW 530e as a possible replacement until Tesla offers a refreshed interior AND a sunroof. Of course, the BMW does not drive like a Tesla, I want something different for a change, can still have access to the HOV lane, and will be electric for my local driving. We have the Model 3 performance for my Tesla fix. It's hard to consider something other than a Tesla for myself - have been a reservation holder before the S was built.

I have had my Model S since 2013 and have been waiting quite a while now for a refresh. It's just not happening. I, too, can't bring myself to buy a new S now. For one, the interior is almost identical to what I have now. And to give up having a sunroof, I could not do it. In fact, just today I drove the BMW 530e as a possible replacement until Tesla offers a refreshed interior AND a sunroof. Of course, the BMW does not drive like a Tesla, I want something different for a change, can still have access to the HOV lane, and will be electric for my local driving. We have the Model 3 performance for my Tesla fix. It's hard to consider something other than a Tesla for myself - have been a reservation holder before the S was built.

Have you tried the raven performance yet?

I have not tried out the Raven performance. I did just test drive the Raven, though, and loved it! I had that Tesla grin all over again! I've decided to move forward with the S Raven, even though it doesn't, disappointingly, have the sunroof. I will miss that!

It's too bad that you can't get the Raven updated with a sunroof :(

The lack of a sunroof remains a deal-breaker for us considering an upgrade to a Raven. With the temps cooling for the fall, it's again prime weather for open sunroof driving and each time I use our sunroof I think how it sucks to not have this option in a Model S any more :(

They couldn't figure out how to build a reliable sunroof and just gave up on it.

Exactly. The panoramic roof was the largest available on any car when it was released (though that record was quickly eclipsed by the Lincoln MKZ). It was engineered and manufactured in-house without the design input or subcontracted manufacturing by 3rd party sunroof suppliers that most other carmakers use.

There were reliability issues right from the start. As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, rattles, high-speed wind noise, water leaks, chattering during open/closing, failure to open, seals peeling off... Plus it wasn't designed to be repaired, so parts have to be destroyed to get access. Even routine maintenance was a problem (blowing out the water drains from the top with compressed air loosens the drain hoses and causes new leaks, and an ultra-expensive speciality grease is supposed to be applied all over the guides annually).

It's not like Tesla has to start from scratch to create pano roof. They just need to ameliorate what is already existing engineering design.

They did this already, with the 2nd generation design in 2015. It was somewhat more reliable and was also easier to repair when things went wrong. It looks almost the same as the 1st generation from outside the car, and internally isn't all that different either--there's only so much they could do without changing the body design.

For this reason, I suspect that we won't see a sliding roof again until the Model S gets a major redesign.

Exactly. The panoramic roof was the largest available on any car when it was released (though that record was quickly eclipsed by the Lincoln MKZ). It was engineered and manufactured in-house without the design input or subcontracted manufacturing by 3rd party sunroof suppliers that most other carmakers use.

There were reliability issues right from the start. As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, rattles, high-speed wind noise, water leaks, chattering during open/closing, failure to open, seals peeling off... Plus it wasn't designed to be repaired, so parts have to be destroyed to get access. Even routine maintenance was a problem (blowing out the water drains from the top with compressed air loosens the drain hoses and causes new leaks, and an ultra-expensive speciality grease is supposed to be applied all over the guides annually).

They did this already, with the 2nd generation design in 2015. It was somewhat more reliable and was also easier to repair when things went wrong. It looks almost the same as the 1st generation from outside the car, and internally isn't all that different either--there's only so much they could do without changing the body design.

For this reason, I suspect that we won't see a sliding roof again until the Model S gets a major redesign.

Seems like Version 3 would have fixed any outstanding issues... Tesla employs some of the smartest automotive engineers and I bet they are up to the task of building a reliable sunroof.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Seems like Version 3 would have fixed any outstanding issues... Tesla employs some of the smartest automotive engineers and I bet they are up to the task of building a reliable sunroof.

When you take away the software, displays and the comfy seats, the sunroof is something that made the Model S special in the lineup as neither the Model X nor model 3 has a sunroof available. We don't have the space for a convertible to let sun and air in the car on a nice day but the gigantic sunroof does that job so well.

I bet ~50% of customers will select the sunroof option even it was a $4,000 option and many existing customers will upgrade to a newer Model S if the sunroof returns.

• Funny
When I bought my '17 S 75, I opted not to get a sunroof -- after having them on all previous cars, and living in the SF Bay Area for 25 years, I realized I just almost never use them. Maybe a couple times a year. Modern, aerodynamic car designs tend to have curved windows letting more light in the sides, and if the weather is nice out I prefer to open the side windows. The buffetting and glare of the sunroof can be annoying. And the one-piece glass panoramic roof in MS is fantastic and it was standard when I ordered.

My previous car was a '16 Porsche Cayenne, with sunroof and panoramic glass which I loved. But I just realized the panoramic glass was the part I loved. To each his/her own I suppose. I won't deny that for some people, it's a make/break feature as noted in this thread.

i would get a model 3 lr over the model s lr if i was buying today- hands down a better deal.

When you take away the software, displays and the comfy seats, the sunroof is something that made the Model S special in the lineup as neither the Model X nor model 3 has a sunroof available. We don't have the space for a convertible to let sun and air in the car on a nice day but the gigantic sunroof does that job so well.

I bet ~50% of customers will select the sunroof option even it was a $4,000 option and many existing customers will upgrade to a newer Model S if the sunroof returns.

Count me in. I will even go $5,000 if it becomes an option.

• Funny
When I bought my '17 S 75, I opted not to get a sunroof -- after having them on all previous cars, and living in the SF Bay Area for 25 years, I realized I just almost never use them. Maybe a couple times a year. Modern, aerodynamic car designs tend to have curved windows letting more light in the sides, and if the weather is nice out I prefer to open the side windows. The buffetting and glare of the sunroof can be annoying. And the one-piece glass panoramic roof in MS is fantastic and it was standard when I ordered.

My previous car was a '16 Porsche Cayenne, with sunroof and panoramic glass which I loved. But I just realized the panoramic glass was the part I loved. To each his/her own I suppose. I won't deny that for some people, it's a make/break feature as noted in this thread.

I do agree that the glass roof (w/o sunroof) looks better when I seat in the back. I can see the sky better without the middle bar.

But I don't seat in the back and it's not like someone is driving it for me. 99.9%+ I am the sole driver of the car and the view is almost useless for some of us. Maybe when the true FSD becomes a reality, I may appreciate glass roof more by seating in the back while it is driving without the "driver."

Reactions: jlv1