Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you think this would be totaled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just joined this group today. Got into an accident today in our 2023 Model Y. Here are some pictures. Any thoughts if this may be considered totaled? It is a weekend, so Tesla repair shops closed today. If anybody has recommendations on for a specifc Tesla authorized repair shop in Seattle WA, let me know

Attachments

• DA2470DD-5F74-4B1B-A22D-D1AD09591289.jpeg
    DA2470DD-5F74-4B1B-A22D-D1AD09591289.jpeg
    757 KB · Views: 173
  • 5D615C8D-9360-4E87-B4C6-11446EEF935A.jpeg
    5D615C8D-9360-4E87-B4C6-11446EEF935A.jpeg
    583.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 8090C0EF-8A21-41CA-B3A9-7A69622DA789.jpeg
    8090C0EF-8A21-41CA-B3A9-7A69622DA789.jpeg
    633.4 KB · Views: 117
  • 28E7FCAA-DA5A-4580-9C5A-C7E1899C0B81.jpeg
    28E7FCAA-DA5A-4580-9C5A-C7E1899C0B81.jpeg
    365.6 KB · Views: 130
Technically speaking, only the appraiser can make that decision for insurance claims.

At the very least the front right corner is GONE. Fender, inner right frame, right suspension strut and coil look to all be crushed. From that point, the lower suspension parts are probably damaged too (considering how far back the wheel got pushed). Anything beyond that, from middle frame pieces, to the heat pump, heck, even the battery case could all be damaged to. I don't know if you have an LR/Performance or SR... so if you have a front motor, that could also be damaged. Well, maybe the inside of the motor is fine, but the outer mounting points are all probably messed up in some way.

Oh, if the battery and motor are damaged... it'll probably be totaled.

But yeah, this needs a professional appraiser.

Last edited:
Technically speaking, only the appraiser can make that decision for insurance claims.

At the very least the front right corner is GONE. Fender, inner right frame, right suspension strut and coil look to all be crushed. From that point, the lower suspension parts are probably damaged too (considering how far back the wheel got pushed). Anything beyond that, from middle frame pieces, to the heat pump, heck, even the battery case could all be damaged to. I don't know if you have an LR/Performance or SR... so if you have a front motor, that could also be damaged. Well, maybe the inside of the motor is fine, but the outer mounting points are all probably messed up in some way.

Thank you. This is my firs time dealing with a potential totaled car. When you say professional appraiser, do you just mean the insurance company appraiser (we have State Farm). I was going to get it towed to Tesla authorized repair shop and go from there (get their estimate and wait to see what State Farm says about a repair cost). Would you go about this any different way? It's a weekend so I will have to start making all my calls tomorrow.

Thank you. This is my firs time dealing with a potential totaled car. When you say professional appraiser, do you just mean the insurance company appraiser (we have State Farm). I was going to get it towed to Tesla authorized repair shop and go from there (get their estimate and wait to see what State Farm says about a repair cost). Would you go about this any different way? It's a weekend so I will have to start making all my calls tomorrow.
Doesn’t matter if it’s the weekend, you always call the insurance right away.

Reactions: DeeDeeCee
Just joined this group today. Got into an accident today in our 2023 Model Y. Here are some pictures. Any thoughts if this may be considered totaled? It is a weekend, so Tesla repair shops closed today. If anybody has recommendations on for a specifc Tesla authorized repair shop in Seattle WA, let me know
First of all, I feel your pain. I had a 10 day old M3 hit broadside in 2018. Nothing pleasant about the process.

Always call insurance. Generally they will want their appraiser to provide an official appraisal. Ultimately, they will do a tear down to determine the final level of repair that is required unless they can determine by sight that it is totaled. In the states that I know about, the Owner has the right to take it to any shop to be repaired after the initial appraisal has been prepared. Final costs negotiated between the shop and the insurance co. There are other steps if totaled.

Good Luck.

Be glad you have State Farm. 18 months ago our 2019 Nissan Leaf got hit by an uninsured meth head. State Farm was awesome. Each State has different rules on totaling a car. In Florida if the estimate exceeds 70% of the current car value it’s totaled.

State Farm was very generous with their payout. They paid us enough to buy a brand new 2020 Leaf and after tax credit we had $2,000 more in our pocket. Once we agreed to the payout on the phone they immediately wired the money directly into our bank account. There was no loan on the car so there was no dealing with a loan payoff. About a year later they recovered our deductible from the other driver for us.

Reactions: Pianewman
If you want to guarantee a total hit your battery pack with a hammer a few times and make some dents.

Jokes aside... they would rather total it than deal with a rental car and fixing it for months with a pissed off customer. Crashed teslas sell for a premium at salvage auctions and they write off whatever the loss is. Its just easier to go this route than try to fix it.

Based on recent trends... totaled...

The trends are a bit older and not necessarily Tesla, or even EV related.

Take my Honda Fit. I’ve seen plenty of people on the Honda forum, where they reported their cars written off, similarly for what didn’t appear to be that major damage. This was maybe some 10 years ago.