TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Do You Want Basic, Ludicrous Or Something In Between

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Mad Hungarian, Nov 8, 2015.

?

Do you want your Model 3 to be:

1. Basic $35K model as announced

27 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Full-on max performance model

24 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. Something nicely optioned in between

66 vote(s)
    56.4%
  1. Mad Hungarian

Mad Hungarian Member

#1 Mad Hungarian, Nov 8, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    There are obviously a lot of passionate discussions here about what the M3 should or shouldn't be and which versions Tesla should prioritize for production and why. And though there are already good threads asking about specific configurations and preferences, I'm very curious to see actual numbers on how many here are in the Basic-$35K-as-announced vs. Junior-ludicrous-mobile camp, or perhaps somewhere in between. Where do YOU stand?

2. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

If I go for a Model 3, I'd probably go for something like an 80D with "all" options. If I would need to order a performance to get the car much sooner, I would do so.

3. Draighven

Draighven New Member

Since we know literally nothing about the car my best guess is I will be doing my standard car fare with the Model 3 should I chose to get one. I'll most likely grab the second tier battery with dual motor for a nice range/performance mix, and more than likely go for whatever useful tech (if any) and sound system upgrade packages there are.

4. strider

strider Active Member

I want a Veyron/918 killer (0-60 or 5-60, not top speed) that can also take my kids to school. I want them to put the current P--DL drivetrain in a car that's 30% smaller/lighter. Done.

5. ProphetM

ProphetM Member

I would like a mostly base car, with just the most functional options. A bit less than Draighven. Bigger battery, dual motors, probably the tech package if it's not too outrageously priced. But the rest I can leave - performance level, ludicrous, upgraded sound system and seats, are mostly luxury upgrades that I don't really need.

6. physicsfita

physicsfita Member

I would like a bigger battery, AWD, winter package, and a sunroof. If autopilot and a good stereo doesn't require a second mortgage, I'd probably pop for those. I'm assuming navigation/tech package are in the base trim. I have zero interest in taking the car to the track, so any performance options will happily be left on the table. Cloth seats and stock wheels are fine.

7. Mad Hungarian

Mad Hungarian Member

Wow, so far 80% in mid-level to max-performance camp. From reading the other config preference threads I thought this would go more 50-50.
    For the record I'm with strider, the idea that we may be able to get super car performance in a practical body at $60ishK or less is hugely appealing :smile:

8. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado Member

I'm interested in an "affordable" bare-bones car. If the cost isn't too much I'd consider the bigger battery (but presume it will be part of a very expensive package), AWD, and winter package (but only if it includes a heated steering wheel, which ought to be standard on all EVs anyway). All the rest of the options — especially the performance stuff — are just expensive, unnecessary fluff to me.

9. 328GTS

328GTS Member

I would be going with the largest battery and all tech and comfort options. Just waiting for the chance to order.

10. MSEV

MSEV Member

I would want it to be a lot like, a similar model to, my 85D-- max range with great performance but ludicrous not necessary, tech package yes, AWD yes. I'm guessing (hoping) $50k.

11. Stretch2727

Stretch2727 Engineer and Car Nut

All in Ludicrous with AWD.

I would have bought a Model S by now but it is just too big for my tastes.

I want something that will blow the doors off the other M3..ah M4 now. (BMW) but still manage to get 100 MPGe.

12. favo

favo Model 3 Reservation Holder

Big battery, performance, AWD, all tech options, AP, and Ludicrous if it seems worth it. I don't feel the need to go lower than 3.0s 0-60. Would I pay $10K to go from 3.5s to 2.5s? No. $5K to go from 3.5s to 3.0s? Maybe if it also included better highway passing. $7K to go from 4.0s to 3.0s? Probably.

Note, I voted max performance, even though I might forgo the Ludicrous option if it even exists.

13. Mad Hungarian

Mad Hungarian Member

That's perfectly cool, since we really don't know what the max performance option will be called or cost this poll was more to get a feel as to which way folks here were leaning, basic transportation or something more speed oriented. To me anyone wanting a sub 4 second 0-60 capability is a "max performance" customer.

14. vinnie97

vinnie97 Member

Biggest battery, greatest range are my most desired options.

15. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

Since I'm stuck in the 35k price range, the base is all I can get, but it's really all I need. Would it be nice to have all the bells and whistles in the car, sure, but I'm looking at the battery chemistry and software design as the basics compared to the LEAF 2 and Bolt.

16. bigbear

bigbear Member

I want tech package and leather for my dirty kids. I'd really like to stay under 40k.

17. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

Base model. Any options would be functionality related. I drive an econobox now, so even a base Model 3 would likely be an astronomical upgrade.

18. ProphetM

ProphetM Member

Yeah, that really takes the sting out of not being able to afford whole hog for me. I drive a 2001 Toyota Echo. Even a base Model 3 will hopelessly outdo it by every conceivable measure, aside from range.

19. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

I'm with anti and prophet, bare bones will be more than I'm used to.

20. Colsla

Colsla Member

I think I want the upgraded battery and dual motor for max range, plus some options..but it will all depend on the exchange rate and the actual pricing of the options by the time the model 3 is available. I dont know how many times a year Tesla ups the prices on options and by how much each time, but it seems like they go up by quite a bit and more often than I would like :frown: