Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does any one know whats this pin plug is used for ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can any one please help me to find out whats this white plug with 4 pins is for (Picture attached) near the OBD 2 connector. I have standard Audio in my model X and I installed a Tesla sub woofer in my rear Passenger side corner. For the Sub woofer It has already a plug to connect in that sub woofer place. My next finding is whats this plug is for ? Is this connector is for Sub woofer connection ? or for sub woofer do I need to run a new wire from my new Amplifier or where can I find the connection for the sub woofer.

Attachments

• Connector.jpg
    Connector.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 263
Can any one please help me to find out whats this white plug with 4 pins is for (Picture attached) near the OBD 2 connector. I have standard Audio in my model X and I installed a Tesla sub woofer in my rear Passenger side corner. For the Sub woofer It has already a plug to connect in that sub woofer place. My next finding is whats this plug is for ? Is this connector is for Sub woofer connection ? or for sub woofer do I need to run a new wire from my new Amplifier or where can I find the connection for the sub woofer.

I believe that plug is for the tow controller. Look in your hitch bag and you should find the pigtail there. FYI, you can tap constant 12v.

And sorry, can't help you on the subwoofer.

Nope. That's the diagnostic port for the CAN bus. I believe it is actually an Ethernet port but it carries the CAN bus data. At least that's where the techs plugged in their laptop when they came to service my car.

The photo is next to the “dummy” OBDII port in a Model X. Where on a Model X you’ll find a 4 pin connector for a BRAKE CONTROLLER.

The connector you are referring to is under the MCU above the cubby. Where there is no OBDII connector and a much wider connector with way more pins. Even the adapter only uses a few.

Here is an image of the Adapter Cable you need to plug into CANBUS on Model X/S

white-connector-face.jpg

Here is the Brake Controller Cable that comes with the Model X

ximm

I’ll let others figure out which one the OP is asking about.

Hint: I think it’s the second photo.

We have to be talking about different plugs. The one I am talking about is above the cubby under the display. They took my little drawer out and pressed down on the shelf which popped down. There were two connectors in there. I asked if the smaller connector was for the brake controller (because I'd seen this post) and they said no, it was the diagnostic port and proceeded to use it for diagnostics. And they did fix the car.

We have to be talking about different plugs. The one I am talking about is above the cubby under the display. They took my little drawer out and pressed down on the shelf which popped down. There were two connectors in there. I asked if the smaller connector was for the brake controller (because I'd seen this post) and they said no, it was the diagnostic port and proceeded to use it for diagnostics. And they did fix the car.

No kidding dude. And the photo from OP is over by the drivers foot well. where there is an obvious a huge bolted in black OBDII port. You can also see the blue button that holds the cover on.

Are you done with providing your hands on expertise yet?

I'm under the impression it's for brake controller however, I would believe that a TECH can use any plug to access the Canbus to program anything they want.

Nonsense.

That Connector is 12V Battery, Ground, Brake Light Signal (12V on or Off), Variable Brake Output pin on your Trailer hitch Harness. Same as any other tow vehicle that supports a brake controller. Been that way for decades.

Good luck getting to the CANBUS through it.