Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speaker upgrade - Light Harmonic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Being a bit of an audiophile, I couldn’t just live with the factory audio. After some research, I decided to upgrade the tweeters and mids in the front end, which to me, is the weakest part of the system.

Taking advantage of the 20% off sale recently I ordered 3 tweeters and 3 mids from Light Harmonic (USA). Shipping was $80 to Japan and Y7,000 for import duties.

Installation was easy, but took time, as I discovered that Tesla cheaped out on my car and there was no center channel tweeter (just a silver patch of sound deadener to cover the empty hole), which meant no mounts for new ones. I ordered these parts from Tesla for a few hundred yen. (square white plastic plug to hold self-tapping screws - in pics below)

HUGE difference in sound, the highs and mids are much crisper and I am hearing instruments you couldn’t before. The mids are not as warm as the OEM ones but tighter and more accurate.

The center tweeter does make all the difference too. I went a week without it as I was waiting for the mounts but once installed, the whole soundstage just came together.

Next up are some Focal door woofers and a new sub. Just waiting on a few parts so it can all be plug-and-play.

Attachments

• IMG_4609.jpeg
    IMG_4609.jpeg
    257.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4610.jpeg
    IMG_4610.jpeg
    605.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4612.jpeg
    IMG_4612.jpeg
    442.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4613.jpeg
    IMG_4613.jpeg
    372.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4650.jpeg
    IMG_4650.jpeg
    435.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4651.jpeg
    IMG_4651.jpeg
    531.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4652.jpeg
    IMG_4652.jpeg
    490.2 KB · Views: 34
Thank you for sharing your installation photos! Which model is this? Model S/3/X/Y?
I had a 2017 Model X and replaced the speakers at Focal Kisarazu:
But now I sold it to Tesla and bought Plaid. I wouldn't say I liked the woofers and sub-woofer of the old Model X. Plaid's woofers and sub-woofer are much better than 2017, though I didn't have enough time to evaluate the Plaid's audio system yet.

Reactions: JayInJapan
Today it was time for the doors. Picked up a nice set of Audison VOCE 6.5 mid bass woofers off Rakuten for ¥23,000. The mounting brackets came off AlliExpress with wiring harnesses for about ¥4,000.

Installation was a breeze, the sound is way, way tighter. Not hard to do when you look at the construction difference. I cannot believe Tesla made the speaker basket out of plastic…

Attachments

• IMG_4963.jpeg
    IMG_4963.jpeg
    587 KB · Views: 26
Last edited: