Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone drove after expired temporary plates ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know that you can drive after expired temp plates in NJ? I did google and found cops can pull over and give a citation. How many days it takes to get plates ? I got delivery on Feb 27 this year still not received plates/registration from NJ

Does anyone know that you can drive after expired temp plates in NJ? I did google and found cops can pull over and give a citation. How many days it takes to get plates ? I got delivery on Feb 27 this year still not received plates/registration from NJ

It sounds like you answered your own question though, right (at least part of it). Yes, Law enforcement can always pull you over if you have expired plates, whether they are temporary or permanent expired plates.

I would be extremely (extremely) surprised if, when you are driving, you have never seen a car on the road with expired plates, so that answers the other part of the question (do people drive with expired plates? yes, they do, and yes, they can get tickets / citations for it).

When I get a new car, I would keep a copy of the purchase contract locked in my glove compartment, on the off chance that my temp plates expired and I got pulled over for it. You would be able to prove that you purchased the vehicle, the date, and make a statement to law enforcement that you have not received your permanent plates yet and are waiting for them.

No idea how long it takes in NJ to get permanent plates, but I doubt you can speed it up any more than we can in CA, you just have to wait for them to come in.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
thank you. just got below reply from Tesla SpringField Office.
"Thank you for reaching out to Springfield Tesla , we are waiting for DMV for an update. If you tags were to expire before you hear back from us. We will handle with any tickets you get" Not sure I should go ahead and drove but do we get points for this violation or just a fine and no record on driving history?

thank you. just got below reply from Tesla SpringField Office.
"Thank you for reaching out to Springfield Tesla , we are waiting for DMV for an update. If you tags were to expire before you hear back from us. We will handle with any tickets you get" Not sure I should go ahead and drove but do we get points for this violation or just a fine and no record on driving history?
I don't see points for expired registration in your state:
https://www.ilsos.gov/publications/pdf_publications/dsd_dc19.pdf

Generally it's a minor offense in most states and I imagine most officers would not bother to pull you over for it (and at most would warn you for it). Especially true if they see you have a temp plate and you are just waiting for your new one to arrive.

here in Tennessee, they gave me an email to email if they got close to expiration and I reached out and they sent me an updated temp tag with new exp date. but each state does it their own way I presume.

I would highly recommend reching out to your delivery center or if they gave you a paper with an email on it reach out to it and request an renewed temp tag.

it took them just over 3 months here and each tag was good for 2 months

Update: After I called and send email. Same day they shipped my plates over UPS AIR which received in 24 hours. So I would recommend everyone to call them/send email a week before expiration. They will send your plates and registration

Temporary by definition means "lasting for only a limited period of time; not permanent."
If you are in the process of receiving your plates PO will have the ability to see that in their database when scanning your temporary number. If the plates had been sent to you and the user decides to press your luck, you are then responsible for your action.

Good luck.

Update: After I called and send email. Same day they shipped my plates over UPS AIR which received in 24 hours. So I would recommend everyone to call them/send email a week before expiration. They will send your plates and registration
Who do you call or email ? Mine (in NJ) is expiring this Sunday. The plates are coming from the dealer ? Not DMV ?

Who do you call or email ? Mine (in NJ) is expiring this Sunday. The plates are coming from the dealer ? Not DMV ?
If they didn’t give you any papers with a local email i would call your delivery center or delivery/service advisor and see what they can do.

IN TN at least they work with the DMV in the county the center is in to get the tag they get them in batches. Then ship them out. It took a hair over 3 months. Then i had to go to my local dmv to pay the local county's taxes.

Last edited:

How pale is your face?

I live 45 mins from you, and there are two spots not too far away from here (I78 exits), where my non-white neighbors get pulled over every other week. Even though locals cops know them by now, they still pull them over. Like clock work.

If you are white, I wouldn't worry about it.

Sad, but true.
a

Took delivery of my model 3 in October, temp plates just expired and still haven’t received my real plates. Drove to my parent’s house in NY (I live in NJ) and got a ticket for expired tags. The cop said he was “letting me off” with just a ticket and by not impounding the car because my 2 and 5 year old were in the car (and upset about being pulled over).

Now I can’t drive my car, have a ticket to pay and court appearance to make. I received no help or estimate from Tesla. I am extremely frustrated and annoyed by this. I took the plunge and left BMW and Volvo, but am deeply regretting this now. Have had a few other issues with the car as well).

Had anyone had Tesla cover expenses like this?

What should I do next?

Took delivery of my model 3 in October, temp plates just expired and still haven’t received my real plates. Drove to my parent’s house in NY (I live in NJ) and got a ticket for expired tags. The cop said he was “letting me off” with just a ticket and by not impounding the car because my 2 and 5 year old were in the car (and upset about being pulled over).

Now I can’t drive my car, have a ticket to pay and court appearance to make. I received no help or estimate from Tesla. I am extremely frustrated and annoyed by this. I took the plunge and left BMW and Volvo, but am deeply regretting this now. Have had a few other issues with the car as well).

Had anyone had Tesla cover expenses like this?

What should I do next?
Contact your rep that handled your delivery. You can also get go directly to the store. You have to make sure the registration was submitted to the DMV. In previous years, Tesla had a paper form you had to sign and return to them on delivery, I'm not sure however if they still do that or it applies to NY. You can also contact the DMV directly to make sure the paperwork is already in or not or if Tesla didn't submit it yet. There's a lot of places where things could have gone wrong. You unfortunately have to be proactive about this.

If you instead are looking for compensation you can try the other link, but good luck getting a response any time soon.

For other issues related to the car that can be repaired you can do a service request in the phone app. You should have done that as soon as you took delivery if it is a delivery related issue (as opposed to warranty issues that happen later). Tesla generally does not respond to anything else (including if you call the SC).